Implemented [Suggestion] Renewable Terms and Conditions (i.e. rules)

Stuart Wright

If you change your terms and conditions (rules) of your site, then really you ought to ensure that people actively agree to them like they did when they registered.
Maybe when they next visit the site, maybe when they next do something only members can do.
So I think it's important to have an option in the admincp to trigger a new 'I agree' type notice and confirmation like we so often see with Apple, eBay and other similar organisations.
Anyone else think this should be standard functionality?

Upvote 25
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You made my eyes hurt. By reading the fine print I didn't agree to give you my soul, right? :p But yeah that's the way I imagine it would work.

This is how PayPal deals with changes to their ToS:

Dear Brogan,

We’re constantly working to make PayPal safer, simpler and more convenient for our customers. This means that from time to time we have to make changes to the terms of our User Agreement. To make sure you are always informed we have posted recent updates on our website.

What do I need to do?

1. Click here to read the Policy Update or type www.paypal.co.uk into a new browser window, go to ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of the page and then click ‘Policy Update’.

2.Please read the Policy Update carefully. It contains important legal information about when and how the changes to our User Agreement will become effective.

3. If you agree to the changes, you don’t need to do anything as any updates will automatically come into effect. If you do not wish to accept the changes, we’ve also provided you with the steps you can take on the Policy Update page.

Please note that the current User Agreement will apply until these changes take effect.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

The key point here is no action is required on my part if I agree to the changes - item in bold.
If I don't agree to them I can delete my account.

Exactly the same process as all credit card companies use.

As such, I don't see why a forum needs anything more than that.

If you do update your terms, simple inform all members either via email/PM/announcement and give them the option of deleting/closing their account if they don't agree.

As such, I don't see why a forum needs anything more than that.

If you do update your terms, simple inform all members either via email/PM/announcement and give them the option of deleting/closing their account if they don't agree.
Not all members receive emails or PMs.
If we ask people to tick upon registration, why not, when a member tries to do something which requires them to be a member (rather than a guest) to have the usual sexy xenForo pop-up showing the rules and asking members to tick the box to continue?
It's simple enough and familiar to anyone with a Paypal/ebay/Google account.
There could be an 'I don't agree' option which then notifies people that they may not perform any membership action until they do agree and give them the option of deleting their account. What do the other sites do if you do not agree? Keep refusing you permission to do things until you agree? Can you delete your YouTube/Facebook/Twitter/ebay/Paypal accounts?

What I've done over the years is had a small line in my TOS which reads the following:

"We have the right and authority to change these Terms and Conditions at any time, and by agreeing to these terms you also agree to be bound and abide by all changes to the Terms and Conditions. When a portion of this document is altered an announcement will be made in the Administrative Announcements forum. It is your responsibility to check this area for updates. You agree not to hold [mywebsite] or its officers/employees liable for your ignorance to alterations to the Terms and Conditions..."

Out of my 6 years running a website I've had one complaint, which was resolved in a matter of hours because of that block of text ;).

What I've done over the years is had a small line in my TOS which reads the following:
Out of my 6 years running a website I've had one complaint, which was resolved in a matter of hours because of that block of text ;).
If you think the above were legal, why do you think organisations like eBay require people to agree to the T&Cs once they have changed?

If you think the above were legal, why do you think organisations like eBay require people to agree to the T&Cs once they have changed?
Different organizations do it differently. I think someone mentioned Paypal's method, which is a simple update along with a note that unless you say something you agree to it. Look at Facebook as well; they don't even tell you right out they've changed their TOS, you need to find out for yourself or subscribe to FB Governance.

I can find no law which prevents me from doing what I do. I don't charge my members, I have an all volunteer staff, and I'm not even making any money from my site. When FB does less than I do in regards to notifying members of TOS changes and asking them to agree again [and they're a major corporation], I think I'm pretty safe :). Internet folk have the ability to join your community, but to do so they need to play by your rules, and if they don't they do not need to be part of the community. Simple as that.

Back to the topic of this suggestion however, I think this would be better suited as an addon. That's just my opinion of course, but, hey that's why we discuss.

At least here in Germany, changes of ToS have to be actively accepted by clients/users.
There's no way to legally change ToS without user interaction.

I think this is a very good way to handle changes to the TOS. Like mentioned, just don't allow them to post until they agree. Have a pop up screen and once they agree, then they don't have to worry about it. However, I think there should be an option for the admin to not require agreeing again, that way, if the admin finds a typo and fix it, then it doesn't require them to re agree. That could become very frustrating if that happened.

I think this is a very good way to handle changes to the TOS. Like mentioned, just don't allow them to post until they agree. Have a pop up screen and once they agree, then they don't have to worry about it. However, I think there should be an option for the admin to not require agreeing again, that way, if the admin finds a typo and fix it, then it doesn't require them to re agree. That could become very frustrating if that happened.
I think there should probably be a method (button or something) which admin is required to actively press to trigger a new agreement.

Top Bottom