Lack of interest [Suggestion] Integrate with ffmpeg-php

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

EQnoble

I was thinking with videos being ever so trendy It would make sense to have a standalone upload page for videos and images with settings in the admin area to set the directories for ffmpeg, gd library 2 etc...so users with access can upload their own videos and the server can re-encode the vid and show a progress bar that redirects at 100% and sends the uploader to video.php or whatever where they can see all videos uploaded , maybe even an option to title the new upload yourself so a simple PStutorial.mp4 becomes [vid]PStutorial[/vid] with a simple bbcode... I have done almost all of this so far myself with the exception of the upload/recode ( all i can do is upload a properly formatted video for flowplayer) script using vb4 but would absolutely love to see a community site come together with video sharing embedded. I pre-ordered vb4 publishers suite and previous but am more than willing (waiting actually) for xenF and this would just put the icing on the cake. An example of the upload system I'm talking about wouldn't be dissimilar to http://demo.phpmotiontemplates.com/default/ , maybe even the popups when you click on a video be a jquery expose or overlay with similar information with one special inclusion the actual video.extension (movie.mp4) so any user knowing how to use a bbcode and copy paste can make a forum post including a local video quite easily and users with permission can upload. Any way that was my rant of a suggestion and would love to see something of this nature included in XenForo but even if it isn't i'm confident that the brains that be will make this one fine piece of script. :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a readable version of the suggestion above.
I was thinking with videos being ever so trendy It would make sense to have a standalone upload page for videos and images with settings in the admin area to set the directories for ffmpeg, gd library 2 etc...

so users with access can upload their own videos and the server can re-encode the vid and show a progress bar that redirects at 100% and sends the uploader to video.php or whatever where they can see all videos uploaded , maybe

even an option to title the new upload yourself so a simple PStutorial.mp4 becomes [vid]PStutorial[/vid] with a
simple bbcode... I have done almost all of this so far myself with the exception of the upload/recode ( all i can do is

upload a properly formatted video for flowplayer) script using vb4 but would absolutely love to see a community site come together with video sharing embedded. I pre-ordered vb4 publishers suite and previous but am more than

willing (waiting actually) for xenF and this would just put the icing on the cake. An example of the upload system I'm talking about wouldn't be dissimilar to http://demo.phpmotiontemplates.com/default/ , maybe even the popups

when you click on a video be a jquery expose or overlay with similar information with one special inclusion the actual video.extension (movie.mp4) so any user knowing how to use a bbcode and copy paste can make a forum post

including a local video quite easily and users with permission can upload. Any way that was my rant of a suggestion and would love to see something of this nature included in XenForo but even if it isn't i'm confident that the brains

that be will make this one fine piece of script. :)

...but that still doesn't solve the issue of a site wanting to have it's own video service and the structure of a bb system provides the perfect and most logical place to if any have your own solution and anyone with root access to there machine can install ffmpeg, mencoder etc...themselves (which is why it would be optional to display the page and subsequent navbar link ) then there is an admin panel in which this can be turned on or off much like any other optional page. I wasn't stating that youtube isn't better than a personal site, however your statement really doesn't apply if your talking about wanting your videos in a private forum not viewable by the public and more specifically permission to view based upon usergroups.

There is one tiny problem with this suggestion. As far as I've seen there are MANY hosts that DO NOT support the ffmpeg option because of the extreme bandwidth it uses if you have a large site. You would need a specialized server to have this function even allowed in your hosting set up. I've had clients in the past that needed this option to run their software and it left them somewhat limited to what hosting company they could and could not use.

There is one tiny problem with this suggestion. As far as I've seen there are MANY hosts that DO NOT support the ffmpeg option because of the extreme bandwidth it uses if you have a large site. You would need a specialized server to have this function even allowed in your hosting set up. I've had clients in the past that needed this option to run their software and it left them somewhat limited to what hosting company they could and could not use.

I pay about 100 a month for a server with root access , too much memory (impossible ,but for the cost) great bandwidth with unlimited transfer, cpanel, whm, and parallels , run 32 domain names off of that server with only 8 ips to share between them, 2 of them for my nameservers.

On this particular server of mine I just installed ffmpeg myself yesterday (this is my fourth server for video) and the streaming modules for Apache so i can use the psuedo-streaming pluggin for flowplayer and am a complete linux noob who likes to break things and when it comes to nix i have two right hands (i'm left handed) also.... upon uploading an avi or mp4 i would normally watch on a BSplayer ( windows media player or mediaplayer classic could be replaced here) it gets converted in under one minute after upload progress is at 100% and a 170 mb video clip is shrunk to 12 mb.

I'm not saying it's for everyone , all im saying is this is something people can use if they want and not have to outsource to another software or integrate it, compromising funtionality of the XF installation it was imported to. Not to mention the community factor of being able to have your users (with usergroup permissions applied) able to upload videos to your site and have only members (again with Usergroup permissions) able to see them. And these are things that if you want them to work must be integrated into XF or else you can host videos but you would need another site with separate logins for the same user.

Also I have hosting with another company that sells cpanels ready to go with

- LAME MP3 Encoder
- Libogg + Libvorbis
- Mencoder and also Mplayer
- FFMpeg-PHP
- GD Library 2

all ready to go and there is a one click installer in cpanel's controll panel that allows you to just fill in a few fields and click install to set up a video upload/conversion script. ( though i don't use it as I would rather setup the config myself )

I paid $212 USD for two years with them and that's my personal site for little video messages between my family and myself ( I have family in Italy , Poland , and South America and this works great for us.) It breaks down to less than 10 dollars a month and currently they and others like them have video ready hosting for 14 - 22 USD monthly or specials for about $140 for the year....

I can create another package on my demo-server if you would like and put a fresh install of the script so you can test the functionality of what i am talking about here to see that I'm not just spitting hot air. I am not here to solicit services and have no desire whatsoever to do so nor do I come here to promote my sites, i'm here for the content and the community and that being said what is one of the most popular and most daily visited communities today ( if you were thinking youtube then you get what i'm saying here. )

Some sites want to offload the overhead of video resourcing. I personally will have no use for this, at this time, however, some may. How big/small that niche is, is interesting.

Well im saying this...take xenforo for example they might not want to make a tutorial video series availale to the public who hasn't bought into the community of paying users. So hosting videos themselves they stand a higher chance of keeping the content on their site. Expand that to the community, your users can now help you create video tutorials and upload them and upon reviewing them, the link for the video on your site can be added and labeled appropriately in the tutorials/videos section by an admin.

I'm just saying 90% of whats was available for vbulletin i don't use but it's there because of different needs. Xen is unique in that it's starting fresh from the ground up. And most of the people who would argue this would say I have 10000 or whatever amount of members this isn't for me... well i say this will generate sales for xen in this way... I can tell you right now that if this were to be included I have at least 5 people who want me to grab and setup this for them..(they liked how one of my forums looked) if not they will use php motion; 5 small sites with 150 combined memebrs each paying the same as an owner with 70000 members. These small sites don't worry about overhead because they aren't serving 70000 a day. And for that matter this is unproven grounds NO-ONE has made a vid sharing script that incorporates anything even close to the login /user/ usergroup permissions of vB and what i think will be in XF, doing this would make XF ahead of the curve in a few more ways making their target market open to a lot more people. If vbulletin had done this or someone had made a pluggin that was MOTM status type of good, I would own over 20 Licenses for vB at this point from the amount of people asking me to set the up a system like i just spoke about. Instead I have to set them up with a open source video script which isn't necessarily a bad thing... I just want my community software to have ALL the major features a community software could have and including this in the first release or announcing it as a integral part of the system still being implemented ,in first look terms would set XF so far ahead of the curve in being able to say it's the most complete community software solution. Options is the keyword i'm looking to summarize with here.

Top Bottom