Steps to install xenforo on fresh vps

dooma

Hello all,

I'm writing all the steps, required to install a test xenforo forums on a fresh vps from un-managed vps provider. I posted this thread for two reasons:
First, to know the experts' opinions about the steps and to tell us if there're any missing steps or any modifications that should be done.
Second, It may be helpful for beginners who wants to avoid managed web hosting companies.

The following what I have done after purchasing a small vps from Linode:
1- Installing centos7 64bit then creating a demo user and adding it to the wheel group.
2- Securing the server with SSH keys and disabling the root login through SSH.
3- Installing NGINX.
4- Installing php.
5- Configuring the PHP processor. (php-fpm config file)
5- Installing MariaDB.
6- Configuring Nginx to process PHP pages and testing it.
7- Adding PHP-GD support to the web server.
8- Installing DOM and simpleXML extensions.
9- Copying the SSH private key from the ssh_config folder and saving it at my laptop with (.ppk) extension. ( this will be used in sftp connection )
9- Uploading xenforo files using Filezilla through SFTP connection.
10- Creating a database and its user with grant privileges.
11- Going to mydomain.com/forums/install and complete the installation.
** I didn't point any domain to my server as It's only a test website so the link of my forums will be TheServerMainIPaddress/forums .

That's what I exactly did with my server and my test forums is running fine. I may edit thread and add more details to be really helpful but after reading the experts' points to put it within thread and install it to my server.

What're your opinions guys, what should I do more to optimise my server with xenforo ?

Thank you :)

also google about basic security options for nginx and php .ini. Like hiding OS info in headers etc.

I too installed my XF first time on AWS . Got to learn a lot , great experience.

Top Bottom