1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone able to install XenForo on Powweb?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by BirdOPrey5, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

The test script passes, says all is OK but when I go to run the install I get the following error and I've tried it on multiple powweb servers:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

Of course I don't have access to the error log apparently.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If memory serves, powweb sometimes disables PHP on new hosting accounts. But obviously PHP is working if the test script passed.

I recommend you contact powweb to obtain the error log. Or the log might be available via FTP or in your hosting control panel:

https://secure.powweb.com/secure/login.bml?err=

3. BirdOPrey5

I have phpbb running so it's not php... I'll see if I can get ahold of the log, thanks.

4. BirdOPrey5

I did find the error log... it's empty. :(

5. Mythotical

Mythotical Well-Known Member

Did you make sure you uploaded the .htaccess file that comes default with XenForo?

6. BirdOPrey5

yes the .htaccess file is there. I decompressed the archive right on the sever so all files are in the right place, and I just double checked by FTP the .htaccess file is there.

7. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

You are probably going to have to contact their support in this case to find out what is actually going wrong. :)

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Active Member

What step did the error occur?

9. BirdOPrey5

The error occurs as soon as I go the the install URL- installation never starts. I tried the new beta but same problem.

10. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

11. BirdOPrey5

Thanks but not that important... would never host a real forum on powweb anyway.

12. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The only server I have access too is PowWeb and it always fails the upload -- never got past that. Localhost FTW.

13. BirdOPrey5

I don't bother trying to upload every individual file. it would take an hour even on a fast connection by nature of FTP... I upload a .zip file and extract it right from the "archive gateway" in the Ops Control Panel- much quicker, less chance for error.

Still doesn't work with Beta 5 BTW...

14. BirdOPrey5

This is really getting annoying... I just re-downloaded and re-ran the requirements script and again it told be powweb passed the minimum requirements test. Also I have confirmed they use MySQL 5.0+

But when trying to install the release candidate 1 I immediately (simply by loading install page) get the error:
    Code:
    The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

Apparently I don't have access to the error log.

15. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Send me FTP details and I'll look into it.

16. BirdOPrey5

Hey Mike... I just noticed the PHP version on Powweb in 5.2.2 but the XF Minimum says 5.2.4... I didn't check this at first because I figured the test script would have reported if this was a problem.

17. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The server actually has 5.2.12, which is fine.

This issue was caused by Powweb blocking script execution within directories that are group (or, presumably, world) writable. I chmodded the install directory back to 0755 and the installer loaded.

18. BirdOPrey5

Thank You Mike!!!

19. BirdOPrey5

FYI I was able to complete the install successfully. One thing to look out for if using powweb is that the mysql server is not localhost. It's your (Powweb Ops Username).powwebmysql.com such as:
    example.powwebmysql.com