Steam Authentication & Integration

Steam Authentication & Integration 1.6.3

No permission to download
Idea for modification or addon for future releases...

@HowIChrgeLazer I was wondering if thought about making any addons for this?

I was thinking an option to show Steam Signature on profile or posts from using the steam account auth.

It's simple to create this for profile user custom field but then you would have to add the steam info separate. This is all based on what part of the user id you pull from auth addon you created. If there is some way to pull anything from steam-authentication integration like steam id or steam id number would work.

Ideally I would rather host all the signature files on my website rather than a third party. I know I have seen the code for creating this shared on a few code developer sites...

If anything I need something I can pull just to add it manually to user profile field.

@Bob Flemmington - I've pushed out a build to the develop branch on github. Try it out and see if it works on your 1.5.0 test bed. I've done testing on mine and it seems to work correctly without issues. Quick ZIP download link here.

@CoZmicShReddeR - Your request is noted, but I do want to expand on the core first (fixing some of the data in the admin panel, setup pagination for the steam page, etc.). That being said, there is a few template helpers already built into the addon that allows you to get a user's Steam ID 64, Steam ID, or Steam ID 32. If you only need that ID, then in previous posts I have covered on how to display or use those in forum pages.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get a page added to the navtabs (the three current pages of "Top Owned Games", "Top Played Games", and "Top Recently Played Games") that shows who owns what game? Perhaps even searchable by game? For example, in the ACP, after install we get a Steam tab that has a "Games" page (admin.php?steam/games) that shows a list of all games owned across all members, when you click on a game, it gives you a list of what members own that game (per their steam profile data). Can you add that to the 3 public pages? There's nothing secure about the data being shown (all standard steam profile info showing their games inventory), and it'd be nice for non-admin folks to be able to look at a game on the list and find out which members have it. Can this be done?

HowIChrgeLazer updated Steam Authentication & Integration with a new update entry:

Version 1.6.0 Changelog

*** NOTE: This update requires XenForo 1.5.0 Beta 1 or newer ***

* Fixed undefined index bug with jsonproxy.php
* Added support for two-step verification

I've also added a check that will prevent an install if you aren't running the correct XenForo version. This check, however, will not revert uploaded files. If you accidentally tried to update this addon before updating to XenForo 1.5, just upload the files from the last compatible version of Steam Auth (ex Steam Auth 1.5.2) and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

One question, is it possible to force the Steam Login and Registration for our forums as a way to collect everyone's Steam ID's? I want to basically have this override the current login and registration system. Is this possible?

Is there a way to get a page added to the navtabs (the three current pages of "Top Owned Games", "Top Played Games", and "Top Recently Played Games") that shows who owns what game? Perhaps even searchable by game? For example, in the ACP, after install we get a Steam tab that has a "Games" page (admin.php?steam/games) that shows a list of all games owned across all members, when you click on a game, it gives you a list of what members own that game (per their steam profile data). Can you add that to the 3 public pages? There's nothing secure about the data being shown (all standard steam profile info showing their games inventory), and it'd be nice for non-admin folks to be able to look at a game on the list and find out which members have it. Can this be done?
<x/steam/top-owned-games
yoursite.com/steam/top-played-games
yoursite.com/steam/top-recently-played-games
You can add custom nav tabs to go to those three links.

This may be different if you have xenforo installed in a different place on your site.
Ex. if you installed xenforo at /forums, your custom navtabs would have to go to yoursite.com/forums/steam/top-played-games

Last edited:

Some of this is planned for future releases. I'd like to be able to display more information for games and paginate things a bit.

One question, is it possible to force the Steam Login and Registration for our forums as a way to collect everyone's Steam ID's? I want to basically have this override the current login and registration system. Is this possible?

Not easily in terms of an addon: Approach to disable registration without associating Steam account

Is there a way to disable email verification if a user signs up with steam but keep verification if user signs up with just email?

I run Steam Auth on my test board and I don't have to verify my e-mail when registering with Steam. It works like other XenForo based external authentication. I get the following message after registering and am able to begin posting/browsing. Require e-mail verification is checked on in options.

XenForo
Thanks for registering. Your registration is now complete.
  • Return to the page you were viewing
  • Return to the forum home page

Is it possible another addon is causing this issue?

Is there a way to disable email verification if a user signs up with steam but keep verification if user signs up with just email?
You could use user group promotions to do this. (Haven't tested this but it should work):
First, disable email confirmation and enable manual approval at admin.php?options/list/usersAndRegistration
steam2.webp
Then, create a user group promotion at admin.php?user-group-promotions/add and add them to the user group that you want steam users to be.
steam0.webp
steam1.webp

You could use user group promotions to do this. (Haven't tested this but it should work):
First, disable email confirmation and enable manual approval at admin.php?options/list/usersAndRegistration
View attachment 113000
Then, create a user group promotion at admin.php?user-group-promotions/add and add them to the user group that you want steam users to be.
View attachment 113001
View attachment 113002
Interesting and good idea, but how do I get the automatic emails working again when they don't register via steam?

Interesting and good idea, but how do I get the automatic emails working again when they don't register via steam?
I actually replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to

I am trying to register using only a steam account and it looks like it is failing every time.
Errors:
Code:
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to ssl://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net:443. Error #0: - library\Zend\Http\Client\Adapter\Socket.php:235

#0 library\Zend\Http\Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('steamcdn-a.akam...', 443, true)
#1 library\Steam\ControllerPublic\Register.php(500): Zend_Http_Client->request('GET')
#2 library\XenForo\FrontController.php(347): Steam_ControllerPublic_Register->actionSteamRegister()
#3 library\XenForo\FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}
Looking at the code, it seems like it is trying to get my steam avatar but it can't. I do have a steam avatar.

The Steam Auth addon shouldn't require e-mail verification regardless of the board registration setting for requiring e-mail verification. If I had to guess, you have another XF addon that might be causing e-mail verification to be required for Steam registration.

I am trying to register using only a steam account and it looks like it is failing every time.
Errors:
Code:
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to ssl://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net:443. Error #0: - library\Zend\Http\Client\Adapter\Socket.php:235

#0 library\Zend\Http\Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('steamcdn-a.akam...', 443, true)
#1 library\Steam\ControllerPublic\Register.php(500): Zend_Http_Client->request('GET')
#2 library\XenForo\FrontController.php(347): Steam_ControllerPublic_Register->actionSteamRegister()
#3 library\XenForo\FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}
Looking at the code, it seems like it is trying to get my steam avatar but it can't. I do have a steam avatar.

Unable to Connect to ssl://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net:443. Error #0: - library\Zend\Http\Client\Adapter\Socket.php:235

Looks like connectivity to the CDN had gone down for a moment or your web server can't resolve DNS. I'm able to registry correctly on my test board.

That or outbound 443 is blocked.

The Steam Auth addon shouldn't require e-mail verification regardless of the board registration setting for requiring e-mail verification. If I had to guess, you have another XF addon that might be causing e-mail verification to be required for Steam registration.

Unable to Connect to ssl://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net:443. Error #0: - library\Zend\Http\Client\Adapter\Socket.php:235

Looks like connectivity to the CDN had gone down for a moment or your web server can't resolve DNS. I'm able to registry correctly on my test board.

That or outbound 443 is blocked.
I only noticed this when I updated to 1.5B4. Are you running B4?

I only noticed this when I updated to 1.5B4. Are you running B4?

Yep and just tried a registration before posting to make sure I wasn't having a problem.

Could support be added to display the Steam login/signup button on the front of CTA Featured Threads ( CTA Featured Threads & Portal ) by @Brogan
View attachment 113026

This is probably a question for @Brogan. I don't know the code so I can't say for certain how he has setup those widgets. It may be something he will need to implement. I'm open to working with him to figure out a solution though, if there's something on my end that needs to be done.

I'm trying to make a custom user field that user's must fill in when they sign up. This user field is their steam id. What is the best way going about that with this addon?

Top Bottom