Star Trek Into Darkness

Yes they did go back in time to be there but to me if 90% of a movie is set in 1984 and only 10% is set in 22xx or whatever year, it counts as a movie set in 1984.

There was an episode of DS9 i believe, maybe a couple, that could better different timelines. One we're not sure if it was a dream/vision or not.
Right right and I am not even trying to start an argument of semantics but what I was getting at was that for me to follow Star Trek as a whole.. I would watch this installment in terms of men from 22xx back in time and be aware of that through the entire movie or it wouldn't make sense to me...however in terms of film and theater yes you could could say it is mainly set in the good ole 80's and you would surely be right...but I guess I just consider it a story that happens during a temporal incursion originating in 22xx because looking at things that way while watching star trek helps make sense of some of the crazy stuff (paradoxes, anomalies, anything dealing with Q etc ) so that the story flows and makes sense.

As far as DS9 are you talking about season 3 episodes 11 and 12 (Past Tense parts 1 & 2) where they end up in San Francisco and Sisko leads a rebellion?

I enjoyed watching "Star Trek: Into Darkness". It was a good Scifi movie - and that's it. There where some nice references to past movies and episodes and of course the writers did a remake of classic trek in "their" universe. I respect and accept that decision. It's not that "Star Trek" what I've used to love years ago but I'm fine with this. Better than no Trek at all.

And I know, Jake may hate me because of this :D

Take him to the brig.

Holding_cell,_2366.webp

That's probably the first good movie J. J. Abrams directed which seems to have made him very proud (just count the number of time his name appears at the end of the movie, it's actually quite funny). Like Captainslater said it's a "good Scifi movie" both for novice (me) and fans of the "Star Trek Next Generation" as I've been explained once out of the cinema. I was personally happy to hear back the original theme (I don't think it was there in the first movie of JJA) and the mix with the new one at the end was very good. About the 3D, I usually don't like it, but its Imax version for this movie was really good too. To finish, I really liked to see Benedict Cumberbatch in his role of the Intergalactic Bad Sherlock. He was really convincing.

This being said, I'm still not convinced to know that JJA will make SW7...

I enjoyed watching "Star Trek: Into Darkness". It was a good Scifi movie - and that's it. There where some nice references to past movies and episodes and of course the writers did a remake of classic trek in "their" universe. I respect and accept that decision. It's not that "Star Trek" what I've used to love years ago but I'm fine with this. Better than no Trek at all.

That was a better outcome than the last sci-fi movie i watched and Battle of los Angeles. Which was a terrible movie. So, you wouldn't regard this as a true star trek movie ? just branded as one?

That was a better outcome than the last sci-fi movie i watched and Battle of los Angeles. Which was a terrible movie. So, you wouldn't regard this as a true star trek movie ? just branded as one?
It's a Hollywood adaption that caters to the masses and to profit rather than to the fans of Star Trek. My mom is a hardcore Trekkie and she enjoys it, but doesn't exactly consider it to be true to Star Trek.

It's a Hollywood adaption that caters to the masses and to profit rather than to the fans of Star Trek. My mom is a hardcore Trekkie and she enjoys it, but doesn't exactly consider it to be true to Star Trek.

I know, Just wanted to hear Dominic's thoughts about it. I know it's aimed at the masses, had it not it wouldn't have got the budget it received or Liked by so many.

My family have been Trekkers/Trekkies since the premier of the original series. We found a lot to love about the new direction, even though some of us didn't really want to. I, for one, went into the theater not wanting to like it. And came out really happy with what I'd seen. So I wouldn't strictly say that that assessment is true.

As far as DS9 are you talking about season 3 episodes 11 and 12 (Past Tense parts 1 & 2) where they end up in San Francisco and Sisko leads a rebellion?

I was actually talking about a later episode- Sisko is in the 1950s it looks like and is a Sci-Fi writer at some little place dealing with racism... He has a vision of the space station for his story... the end up committing him to an asylum at some point.

The Star Trek series, movies and timeline until Nemesis would be considered as "original" Star Trek by people. The two new films are Star Trek too, with an alternate universe. Which is fine for me and I would call it "Star Trek" in its sense, it reboots the original trek really good (TOS has had good episodes but also really, really trashy ones). So i don't blame JJ and the authors for re-doing some of this thrash.
As Jake I'd count TNG as "real" trek but since they've jumped into the big screen I missed that feeling of "real" trek too.
So it's really hard to compare Trek series with Trek movies. I do accept that the studio wants a bigger audience for the movies and as I said, I think the did it very well.

Short answer: Yes, the new movies are "Star Trek" too for me - but just a bit twisted ;)

@Cédric: The original theme can be heard at the end of "Star Trek" (2009).

@Jake: The movie is dedicated to 9/11 veterans according to the movie credits. To your last question - the answer to violence: "more democracy, more openness, but not naivety" - Jens Stoltenberg, 2011 after the attack of Anders Beihring Breivik.

@Jake: The movie is dedicated to 9/11 veterans according to the movie credits. To your last question - the answer to violence: "more democracy, more openness, but not naivety" - Jens Stoltenberg, 2011 after the attack of Anders Beihring Breivik.

The Enterprise series was heavily 9-11 influenced, and they preached responding in kind and got seriously caught up in their own egos in the process, completely losing sight of any higher ideals or higher level problem solving. Picard would use creative problem solving or come up with some technological solution to the hard problems. Archer just said, "we have no choice, we are on a mission and we have to kill these people." What an idiot. I hope this new movie fared better than Enterprise.

You can always identify ego-based decisions by the claim that there is no choice in the matter, which there always is.

The Enterprise series was heavily 9-11 influenced, and they preached responding in kind and got seriously caught up in their own egos in the process, completely losing sight of any higher ideals or higher level problem solving. Picard would use creative problem solving or come up with some technological solution to the hard problems. Archer just said, "we have no choice, we are on a mission and we have to kill these people." What an idiot. I hope this new movie fared better than Enterprise.

You can always identify ego-based decisions by the claim that there is no choice in the matter, which there always is.
I remember Archer realizing not all Xindi were his enemy and specifically not killing just for the sake of revenge.

Watched it... it was OK... would I do it again.. nope. The one before was much better. Unless you just HAVE to see it - wait for it to come out on DVD or through iTunes/Amazon.

I read the plot on wikipedia. Assuming it was correct, the plot sounds very... busy. There are also lots of references back to previous movies and episodes.

Top Bottom