Star Trek Into Darkness

1) it's a movie
2) it's a movie
17) it's a movie

I don't want to tear anyone a new one...however...if it is just a movie how come movie producers, movie houses , and groups representing them get laws changed to suit their business and favor them? Seems like they are a pretty big deal when people who make them can change the laws that govern how I am allowed to live.

Point with that is, saying it is just a movie is a stupid cop out...if they were going to make a star trek movie, they should have made a star trek movie....not a decent action movie themed or inspired by the idea of star trek but having little to no relevance. For what these people get paid any oversight is not acceptable...I may have just started getting into the whole star trek thing (just watched every ep and movie starting about 5 months ago) but nothing about this movie seems even remotely related to the ideals of space travel and humans becoming better as a whole than we are presently.

I am not locked into a way of thinking when it comes to ST...I really just started watching ST and even so the latest movie seems like a mockery to the legacy that is star trek and Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave at how people are just whoring out the franchise. - disgusting really.

5) Maybe if you had a degree in Physics of Subspace you would feel differently. I don't think anyone in this century knows enough about the topic to know for sure if ti was a bad name or not.
A degree is just a piece of paper, no different than a piece of paper one can use to buy a piece of paper that says they are qualified for something or other. Most of ST tech requires you to have an open mind to understand more than anything. I dropped out of highschool, does that make a wealthy friend of mine who bought his grades at his university smarter than me or just more entitled?

I think the point of this is that if this movie supposedly takes place before some of the other ST series, and it wasn't called that in the future and there is no relationship of references to it in those other series, than it is lazy make believe , which again with a legacy type of franchise...more thought should have gone into this movie.

Either way, I point out when some thought flow gets jammed up in my head...in fact the very first ST episode I watched...my brain made me stop watching and adjust for the error in reality which was made...I had to literally tell myself it was 'just tv' and in my head add things to part of the ship that would have made what I just saw possible so that when re-watching the scene straight through I would not have any interruptions of logic.

6) Yeah... That wasn't believable. He could have just beamed to a fast ship that was on a course "directly for Kronos." Wouldn't have detracted from the movie and kept use Trek geeks happy.

Again more laziness, (scene: writers and producers sitting around a table ), 'ok guys I want to get paid we need to finish this so lets get back to work... I will just pull another one of these pieces of paper with a random idea of it out of a hat and we will throw it in here...nothin but hotdogs in a hallway...perfect.'

9) Didn't notice (much)
I agree...after the first few hundred you just get used to the pretty flashes of light.

10) New Spock had an emotional trauma more than any of us can imagine. We don't know how Spock in TOS would have handled witnessing, being somewhat responsible, for the destruction of Vulcan. It's like Vulcan PTSD. It changes you.

As you had said 'maybe if you had a degree in'; Vulcan physiology maybe you would understand their mental abilities, or for that matter if you had a degree in some form of human medial practice you could make a true connection to PTSD to be able to say it changes you.

14) Star trek needs more women in underwear
Please don't talk like that, you will only inspire people to say the same thing and then in the end people who make money off the star trek series will have it become a bikini contest in space to maximize the profits...there is plenty ass on tv already and star trek is (supposed to be) about entertaining, stimulating the mind, and trying to expose people to a bunch of life lessons which they may never encounter or conceive.

16) Would not get hung up on "5x vs 3x" you need to consider how strength was measured. Perhaps one number is bench-pressing and another is some other type of strength demonstration. Plus there are humans that are 5 times as strong as other humans so generalizing a species is X times stronger than another is suspect at best.

I can agree with this if nothing else that you said for the fact that I have trained as a fighter for about 40-50% of my life now, and size/strength is not always the determining factor in a fight. I have seen people @ 120 lbs soaking wet with rocks in their pocket mop the floor with someone almost 2.5 times their size weight and strength...and the results were and still are repeatable. If you are talking about a competition with rules...strength can mean winning the fight, when you are talking about two people who are actually engaged in battle, determination is the only factor that matters, ever.

I don't want to tear anyone a new one...however...if it is just a movie how come movie producers, movie houses , and groups representing them get laws changed to suit their business and favor them? Seems like they are a pretty big deal when people who make them can change the laws that govern how I am allowed to live.

Point with that is, saying it is just a movie is a stupid cop out...if they were going to make a star trek movie, they should have made a star trek movie....not a decent action movie themed or inspired by the idea of star trek but having little to no relevance. For what these people get paid any oversight is not acceptable...I may have just started getting into the whole star trek thing (just watched every ep and movie starting about 5 months ago) but nothing about this movie seems even remotely related to the ideals of space travel and humans becoming better as a whole than we are presently.

'It's a movie" means things aren't always going to make sense. Sometimes people will turn left instead of turning right because left means 2 hour of fun and adventure rather than a short and boring resolution.

It has nothing to do with decisions studio lawyers or lobbyists make.

I am not locked into a way of thinking when it comes to ST...I really just started watching ST and even so the latest movie seems like a mockery to the legacy that is star trek and Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave at how people are just whoring out the franchise. - disgusting really.

Roddenberry would not have liked a lot of DS9 either, but that is my favorite series.

A degree is just a piece of paper, no different than a piece of paper one can use to buy a piece of paper that says they are qualified for something or other. Most of ST tech requires you to have an open mind to understand more than anything. I dropped out of highschool, does that make a wealthy friend of mine who bought his grades at his university smarter than me or just more entitled?

You seem a little defensive here... The remark about needing a degree was to demonstrate a point further made in the video Forsaken posted above- They purposely do not go into extreme detail on how/why things work. Jake feels he knows enough to say definitively "trans warp" should not be a term applied to transporters. My comment meant he, nor I, nor anyone is really in a position to make that call because we don't really know the technology involved. This wasn't like using the term "Parsec" as time.

I think the point of this is that if this movie supposedly takes place before some of the other ST series, and it wasn't called that in the future and there is no relationship of references to it in those other series, than it is lazy make believe , which again with a legacy type of franchise...more thought should have gone into this movie.

The long distance transporter technology, if that is what you refer to may be explained this way- In the 2009 movie Spock (Nimoy) knew Scotty was working on a formula to allow transport at warp. By definition (to me anyway) if your transporting onto a ship at warp it has to be at a longer range than a standard transporter. With Spock's help Scotty basically advanced Transporter technology 50 to a 100 years because they tried it without testing it at all. In the 2013 movie Scotty does say Starfleet took possession of his work so it is likely Kahn had access to it and being super-human and super-smart may have advanced it even further. Therefore the long range transporter tech may not have been discussed/used much in the TNG time line because it wasn't yet ready in that time line. You know how long it takes to get "government approval" for some things? I'm sure bureaucracy exists in the 24th century as well. It could be in experimental testing but never used in real practice.

Either way, I point out when some thought flow gets jammed up in my head...in fact the very first ST episode I watched...my brain made me stop watching and adjust for the error in reality which was made...I had to literally tell myself it was 'just tv' and in my head add things to part of the ship that would have made what I just saw possible so that when re-watching the scene straight through I would not have any interruptions of logic.

Whatever you have to do I guess...

Again more laziness, (scene: writers and producers sitting around a table ), 'ok guys I want to get paid we need to finish this so lets get back to work... I will just pull another one of these pieces of paper with a random idea of it out of a hat and we will throw it in here...nothin but hotdogs in a hallway...perfect.'

I doubt that is how it went down but not really in a position to argue.

As you had said 'maybe if you had a degree in'; Vulcan physiology maybe you would understand their mental abilities, or for that matter if you had a degree in some form of human medial practice you could make a true connection to PTSD to be able to say it changes you.

Or, as I suspect the same with you, personal experience.

Please don't talk like that, you will only inspire people to say the same thing and then in the end people who make money off the star trek series will have it become a bikini contest in space to maximize the profits...there is plenty ass on tv already and star trek is (supposed to be) about entertaining, stimulating the mind, and trying to expose people to a bunch of life lessons which they may never encounter or conceive.

Sorry for enjoying a pretty lady out of uniform every now and then. Was she wearing any less than an "Orion Slave Girl" or any of the other scantly clad women than made TOS what it was? Roddenberry didn't seem to mind it.

I can agree with this if nothing else that you said for the fact that I have trained as a fighter for about 40-50% of my life now, and size/strength is not always the determining factor in a fight. I have seen people @ 120 lbs soaking wet with rocks in their pocket mop the floor with someone almost 2.5 times their size weight and strength...and the results were and still are repeatable. If you are talking about a competition with rules...strength can mean winning the fight, when you are talking about two people who are actually engaged in battle, determination is the only factor that matters, ever.

Exactly. :)

'It's a movie" means things aren't always going to make sense. Sometimes people will turn left instead of turning right because left means 2 hour of fun and adventure rather than a short and boring resolution.
It has nothing to do with decisions studio lawyers or lobbyists make.
Roddenberry would not have liked a lot of DS9 either, but that is my favorite series.
Lobbyists are basically representatives for the private business sector in govt...at least that is my view, which would mean that if movies can be taken that seriously than so should every detail of a feature itself. If I could write things down and have them brought to life on a screen I would have much more regard for the honor I suppose.

You seem a little defensive here... The remark about needing a degree was to demonstrate a point further made in the video Forsaken posted above- They purposely do not go into extreme detail on how/why things work. Jake feels he knows enough to say definitively "trans warp" should not be a term applied to transporters. My comment meant he, nor I, nor anyone is really in a position to make that call because we don't really know the technology involved. This wasn't like using the term "Parsec" as time.
No not defensive but I thank you for acking that some may be offended by the idea that a piece of paper makes somebody understand something as that would slight quite a large group of people. I understand your remark, however what I am getting at is there is plenty of people who do get a degree and still end up just being worthless crap, and there is people who don't waste time with formalities and just dive in.

And of course to the last sentence ...LOL.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The long distance transporter technology, if that is what you refer to may be explained this way- In the 2009 movie Spock (Nimoy) knew Scotty was working on a formula to allow transport at warp. By definition (to me anyway) if your transporting onto a ship at warp it has to be at a longer range than a standard transporter. With Spock's help Scotty basically advanced Transporter technology 50 to a 100 years because they tried it without testing it at all. In the 2013 movie Scotty does say Starfleet took possession of his work so it is likely Kahn had access to it and being super-human and super-smart may have advanced it even further. Therefore the long range transporter tech may not have been discussed/used much in the TNG time line because it wasn't yet ready in that time line. You know how long it takes to get "government approval" for some things? I'm sure bureaucracy exists in the 24th century as well. It could be in experimental testing but never used in real practice.
See the whole speed of government thing I get and I guess that supposition could suffice as an explanation but because of the whole alternate timeline thing and because somethings happen similarly to early ST works I wasn't able to follow the story as well as I would expect being a star trek thing.

Pretty much every tv series and for the most part...the movies, stayed in pretty good flow with previous works but the newer stuff is missing something.

Whatever you have to do I guess...
I would have it no other way.

I doubt that is how it went down but not really in a position to argue.
I doubt it as well...I just don't think it would have ended up any different.

Sorry for enjoying a pretty lady out of uniform every now and then. Was she wearing any less than an "Orion Slave Girl" or any of the other scantly clad women than made TOS what it was? Roddenberry didn't seem to mind it.
Ohh...enjoy...she looks great, I just don't think it wise to comment on the proverbial hot chick more than needed because in these times there is always a hot chick in every major movie and she always shows some kind of skin. There is nothing wrong with enjoying it at all, I would just rather reflect on things other than the hottie of the show for the reason that I fear star trek becoming more themed around what is popular now rather than being its own iteration of the future and I feel like whatever the people talk about and becomes trendy is what gets pushed, I complain for the sake of hoping that they make the next one better, which I feel they wouldn't have to do with any of the series including ds9.

DS9 was an example of an officer far removed from the comforts of home and having to deal with all sorts of outsiders. Metaphorically speaking it was the series of war and it was in that series that more of the darker possibilities of reality and it expressed what happens when an officer on a far out station has to deal with adversities much different from those that are portrayed in previous works.

I think he may have enjoyed it...do I think he would have made it they way it was...no, but I think if he was kickin and was willing to take a backseat and let the series go on as it did...I honestly think he may have enjoyed it.

For what it's worth DS9 is the last series I have watched. I skipped voyager but might check it.

Lobbyists are basically representatives for the private business sector in govt...at least that is my view, which would mean that if movies can be taken that seriously than so should every detail of a feature itself. If I could write things down and have them brought to life on a screen I would have much more regard for the honor I suppose.

No not defensive but I thank you for acking that some may be offended by the idea that a piece of paper makes somebody understand something as that would slight quite a large group of people. I understand your remark, however what I am getting at is there is plenty of people who do get a degree and still end up just being worthless crap, and there is people who don't waste time with formalities and just dive in.

And of course to the last sentence ...LOL.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See the whole speed of government thing I get and I guess that supposition could suffice as an explanation but because of the whole alternate timeline thing and because somethings happen similarly to early ST works I wasn't able to follow the story as well as I would expect being a star trek thing.

Pretty much every tv series and for the most part...the movies, stayed in pretty good flow with previous works but the newer stuff is missing something.

I would have it no other way.

I doubt it as well...I just don't think it would have ended up any different.

Ohh...enjoy...she looks great, I just don't think it wise to comment on the proverbial hot chick more than needed because in these times there is always a hot chick in every major movie and she always shows some kind of skin. There is nothing wrong with enjoying it at all, I would just rather reflect on things other than the hottie of the show for the reason that I fear star trek becoming more themed around what is popular now rather than being its own iteration of the future and I feel like whatever the people talk about and becomes trendy is what gets pushed, I complain for the sake of hoping that they make the next one better, which I feel they wouldn't have to do with any of the series including ds9.

DS9 was an example of an officer far removed from the comforts of home and having to deal with all sorts of outsiders. Metaphorically speaking it was the series of war and it was in that series that more of the darker possibilities of reality and it expressed what happens when an officer on a far out station has to deal with adversities much different from those that are portrayed in previous works.

I think he may have enjoyed it...do I think he would have made it they way it was...no, but I think if he was kickin and was willing to take a backseat and let the series go on as it did...I honestly think he may have enjoyed it.

For what it's worth DS9 is the last series I have watched. I skipped voyager but might check it.

Don't read first paragraph if you don't want to know anything about voyager (not really a spoiler, I think).

Voyager is good, but the thing with voyager that really annoyed me was when voyager entered Borg space there were 3 episodes where they resided in the vastness of borg territory fighting to stay alive but that dumb woman Kes whisked them 40 thousand light years past Borg space so it was a let down that we didn't see the voyager crew scrape and fight through Borg territory.

That said, first 3 seasons are a little slow but they start getting better after that.

Ohhh ...(doh dod doh)
Don't read first paragraph if you don't want to know anything about voyager (not really a spoiler, I think).

Voyager is good, but the thing with voyager that really annoyed me was when voyager entered Borg space there were 3 episodes where they resided in the vastness of borg territory fighting to stay alive but that dumb woman Kes whisked them 40 thousand light years past Borg space so it was a let down that we didn't see the voyager crew scrape and fight through Borg territory.

That said, first 3 seasons are a little slow but they start getting better after that.

I totally went dyslexic on the names, voyager is the last series I have watched (and I did enjoy it myself)...I haven't watched enterprise is what I meant to say.

Ohhh ...(doh dod doh)

I totally went dyslexic on the names, voyager is the last series I have watched (and I did enjoy it myself)...I haven't watched enterprise is what I meant to say.

I personally didn't like Enterprise. (never warmed up to that series) but you may like it. Though I still enjoyed voyager don't get me wrong, I just would have liked to see more scrapes and the crew negotiating their way and interacting with the Borg to stay alive and possibly seeing more of species 8472.

Regarding star trek. I'll soon be starting my marathon watching DS9 again. :D will start on TNG when all the series are available on Bluray. I'm sure I've asked before but forgot, Is there an ETA when all episodes will be available to purchase in Hi-def?

I personally didn't like Enterprise. (never warmed up to that series) but you may like it. Though I still enjoyed voyager don't get me wrong, I just would have liked to see more scrapes and the crew negotiating their way and interacting with the Borg to stay alive and possibly seeing more of species 8472.

Regarding star trek. I'll soon be starting my marathon watching DS9 again. :D will start on TNG when all the series are available on Bluray. I'm sure I've asked before but forgot, Is there an ETA when all episodes will be available to purchase in Hi-def?

Currently Season 4 of TNG is available. You have to wait at least for the end of this year for all seasons of TNG.

Top Bottom