Star Trek Into Darkness

The only thing that made the first moving worth watching was how well Karl Urban did McCoy. The rest of the movie was lackluster.

What makes this one worth seeing? So far, sounds like a Wrath of Khan remake and I wasn't a big fan of the first one.

Well, the U.S. gross will fall probably 10-15% less than the previous film, but overseas receipts will be far, far higher. Paramount will make loads of money, and will no doubt green light a third film. Besides, hasn't the Kirk/Spock relationship always been sort of a buddy cop approach? Star Trek IV, for example.

Honestly I liked those parts the most. Really showing that although it is a different timeline, perhaps "fate" still plays a role.

As deeper meanings go, I think that's a stretch. I think Kirk's character would also disagree with the idea of fate. You can't have a message that your main protagonist defies.

Were you able to infer any other messages from this movie?

Is it really ripping off if it's from your own franchise?

If they had sold this movie as a remake then it would be OK, but they didn't, so it's a ripoff. Re-using the plot negates the premise of a reboot which is to take the franchise in a new direction. The new direction that was set in ST11 already contradicted all of star trek. Now they are contradicting themselves by revisiting old plots in a reboot.

Even if you go by the numbers, Star Trek Into Darkness isn't quite a remake of Star Trek II, although one significant plot element sort of reverse mirrors one that occurred in the final part of the latter.

If they had sold this movie as a remake then it would be OK, but they didn't, so it's a ripoff. Re-using the plot negates the premise of a reboot which is to take the franchise in a new direction. The new direction that was set in ST11 already contradicted all of star trek. Now they are contradicting themselves by revisiting old plots in a reboot.

The differences between this universe and the original is a number of federation ships destroyed (including Kirk's father killed) as well as the destruction of Vulcan.

Everything that is not related to those events must still happen... Kahn was still out there waiting to be found. The "V'Ger" thing is still going to come looking for its creator... The Whale Probe is still going to come looking for Whales... Praxis will likely still explode... Those things should still happen.

I bet Marcus will find her way to Genesis too.

Have to remember at the time of the movie we're still in the early days of TOS... Like the first season (or before.)

Most of the other movie stuff doesn't happen for 10 or 20 years, not sure the exact time, but the movies doesn't begin immediately after the 5 year mission. Then II, III, and IV all happen in fairly quick succession.

I wouldn't mind seeing them run into Harry Mud or have a "Balance of Power" type episode made into a movie. But after a couple more movies I do want them to remake "The Voyage Home" with them visiting the current day.

I wouldn't mind seeing them run into Harry Mud or have a "Balance of Power" type episode made into a movie. But after a couple more movies I do want them to remake "The Voyage Home" with them visiting the current day.

Ok. For the sake of argument let's say they remake ST4 and travel back in time to save whales. I can't imagine such a story being viable with the reboot crew. What are they going to do... storm into San Francisco with phasers and torpedos? ST4 seems much too mature a plot for this new crew. There is no fighting and no sex. It's a morality tale about hunting whales to extinction. They would have to change it drastically. There would have to be some undeveloped villain who travels back in time with them who fights to stop them from saving the whales for no good reason. That would be compatible with the new crew. It wouldn't make for much of a story though. A remake done poorly. That is all I can envision for a ST4 remake.

I think the new crew would do much better creating their own stories. The Abramsverse is completely incompatible with old plots and old star trek values. They must forge their own path if they are to be successful. Right now they are trying to forge their own path while still following the old one, and they are doing neither very well. If you want to be different then you must forget the old and embrace the new.

And I find it highly strange that we are even discussing this. We are talking about preserving continuity in an alternate timeline. An alternate timeline is a plot device used to allow divergence from the original timeline. It is explicitly designed to ignore concerns of continuity. If you try to maintain continuity in an alternate timeline then the plot device makes no sense. Though that would be consistent. None of Abrams plot devices make any sense.

Ok. For the sake of argument let's say they remake ST4 and travel back in time to save whales. I can't imagine such a story being viable with the reboot crew. What are they going to do... storm into San Francisco with phasers and torpedos? ST4 seems much too mature a plot for this new crew. There is no fighting and no sex. It's a morality tale about hunting whales to extinction. They would have to change it drastically. There would have to be some undeveloped villain who travels back in time with them who fights to stop them from saving the whales for no good reason. That would be compatible with the new crew. It wouldn't make for much of a story though. A remake done poorly. That is all I can envision for a ST4 remake.

I think the new crew would do much better creating their own stories. The Abramsverse is completely incompatible with old plots and old star trek values. They must forge their own path if they are to be successful. Right now they are trying to forge their own path while still following the old one, and they are doing neither very well. If you want to be different then you must forget the old and embrace the new.

And I find it highly strange that we are even discussing this. We are talking about preserving continuity in an alternate timeline. An alternate timeline is a plot device used to allow divergence from the original timeline. It is explicitly designed to ignore concerns of continuity. If you try to maintain continuity in an alternate timeline then the plot device makes no sense. Though that would be consistent. None of Abrams plot devices make any sense.

Let's face it, the chances of the reboots forging their own path, making this new "sci-fi" garbage original is nil. I'm betting they have recouped the cost of making this movie and it hasn't even hit bluray/dvd yet. If there's another "sci-fi" movie they repeat the same ole unoriginal sh-t, with Spock blubbering, Kirk being useless and (Simon Pegg) how the hell did this guy get cast come out with his really unfunny one liners. What can we expect? more unoriginality and certainly not a movie that will stand the test of time and be remembered.

I'll admit i went to see this garbage at the theatre , it was beyond terrible, saying it was terrible would be paying this movie a compliment. the writers should be shot. </vent>

:sick:

I'll admit i went to see this garbage at the theatre , it was beyond terrible, saying it was terrible would be paying this movie a compliment. the writers should be shot. </vent>

:sick:

I haven't seen it yet. I refuse to pay to support the new movies so I must wait for bluray.

You will all get my exhaustive review of ST12 in about 6 months.
Untitled-3_03.webp

I haven't seen it yet. I refuse to pay to support the new movies so I must wait for bluray.

You will all get my exhaustive review of ST12 in about 6 months. View attachment 47815

I would certainly be interested to read what you have to say and thoughts on the movie with your review. Oh look, there's Mr spock, Might have him blubbering like the idiot Zachery Quinto. I can't even comment anymore about the new star trek without it passing off as a vent toward the pile of guff so I'll stop there.

Top Bottom