Star Trek Into Darkness

If I were crew I'd want Captain Sisko. Sisko would poison an entire planet if need be. Picard would quote Starfleet regulations and kill his entire crew, kids and all, to protect the prime directive.

So would Captain Janeway, then like a hypocritical git she would break it in the last episodes after preaching it (transporter incident which would have brought them half way home) and throw her morale compass directly up her own ass, and everyone else.

That said, she was a go getter when she had to be.

If I were crew I'd want Captain Sisko. Sisko would poison an entire planet if need be. Picard would quote Starfleet regulations and kill his entire crew, kids and all, to protect the prime directive.

Picard actually violated the prime directive several times, but he always did so with the utmost thought and deliberation. In contrast, Sisko always used more testicles than brains. This distinction between the two captains is explicitly made and demonstrated in an early DS9 episode:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So would Captain Janeway, then like a hypocritical git she would break it in the last episodes after preaching it (transporter incident which would have brought them half way home) and throw her morale compass directly up her own ass, and everyone else.

That said, she was a go getter when she had to be.

Hypocrisy is part of being female.

My massage lady said it well. She says women always mean what they say when they say it. But the next moment they may mean something else.

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 12.40.31 PM.webp

:love:

Interestingly, I didn't pick apart all your arguments. A few I pointed out were incorrect assertions. But I had more questions than answers.

Most of the comments were either dismissive or misunderstanding of my points. I don't care to take responsibility for that. You asked for my review and you got it.

But in retrospect I do like this question:

What sociopolitical message did Star Trek's 1, 2, 3, 5, Generations and First Contact have? What sense of hope and wonder did any of them have? 2-4 were some of the most distressing times of that crew's life.

1 = This movie is usually misunderstood because it's so boring and plodding. The message is only realized in the end. It shows the importance of connection, of joining with others.

2 = The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one:

3 = The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many:

5 = My favorite movie of them all. This is a deeply misunderstand movie about the creation of God as an externalization of our pain.

7 = This movie had a message about personal indulgence which was represented by the Nexus. In contrast, there is a message about making a difference doing something that matters outside the scope of personal self-interest.

8 = This movie is loaded with comparison and contrast of 24th century ideals with 21st century problems. This comes about naturally as the crew of the Enterprise interacts with people from the 21st century. It also serves to build a connection between the two... a path forward.

In watching #11 I found the message to be completely lacking.

Picard actually violated the prime directive several times, but he always did so with the utmost thought and deliberation. In contrast, Sisko always used more testicles than brains. This distinction between the two captains is explicitly made and demonstrated in an early DS9 episode:

I'll admit Sisko wasn't a great Captain at the series start- he was a mediocre Commander that got stuck with what was probably the worst command in the Federation at the time- a derelict Cardassian ore processing station orbiting Bajor- there was no wormhole when he took command. But he grew into a great Captain over the course of the show. Picard was given his Captain of the Federation Flagship status at the start of the series, it was a given, he didn't need to work toward it.

Most of the comments were either dismissive or misunderstanding of my points. I don't care to take responsibility for that. You asked for my review and you got it.

<...>

In watching #11 I found the message to be completely lacking.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "sociopolitical" supposed to be the merging of social and the political ideas? I see it in The Undiscovered Country. The conflict between personal prejudice and what's best for the world/galaxy as a whole. But the rest of these seem less about the political aspect, and more about personal responsibility. The first one seemed more about our assertions of what actually constitutes sentience. ("Logic alone, is not enough.") What I gleaned from the 2009 one was also about personal responsibility, though I still feel a Trek film, particularly something relaunching a franchise, should be more about high adventure, and set the stage to touch on the many, many different aspects Trek has touched on besides just these concepts.

I also think you might misunderstand me. I don't think you should think 11 was a good film. That's is and always will be a matter of taste (as evidenced by your like of what I think is one of the worst Trek films ever, Insurrection). What I'm saying is a lot of people are going off on the new Trek as if it totally deviated from it's core message, and it's an unfair assertion. I think, for one, it's a bit much to compare one reboot film against 10 canonical films and hundreds of television episodes and say it didn't live up to every single aspect of those. There's a lot of Star Trek, and it covered a lot of ground in it's thirty years. The movie touched on many of the things that made Star Trek great, but couldn't touch everything that Star Trek ever covered in just one film, nor should it have tried. Star Trek is just as much about adventure, political intrigue, and laughing at Bones being afraid of the transporter, as much as it is about anything else. This is why the film did so much better than any of the previous movies, among hardcore fans and regular movie goers alike. Not just because it was a generic action film, but because there was some meat to it. Just not one kind of meat.

I'll admit Sisko wasn't a great Captain at the series start- he was a mediocre Commander that got stuck with what was probably the worst command in the Federation at the time- a derelict Cardassian ore processing station orbiting Bajor- there was no wormhole when he took command. But he grew into a great Captain over the course of the show. Picard was given his Captain of the Federation Flagship status at the start of the series, it was a given, he didn't need to work toward it.

I think we (meaning Star Trek fans in general) unfairly compare the Captains to each other, considering they all had to deal with very different realities. Kirk had to be a cowboy, because the galaxy was still very much untamed at this time. Picard, on the other hand, dealt with very real political and social realities (not to mention a ship full of children and families), in a more civilized era, that meant diplomacy had to be used more often than not. Sisko was thrust into an awkward political/strategic situation, and then became a wartime captain. Janeway had to balance her principles with with her devotion to getting her crew home safely. Even Archer, who was an explorer first and foremost, was forced to become a soldier and make life or death decisions he'd never dreamed of making. Everyone had different cards dealt them, at different points of history, so I guess that's what makes it hard for me to pick a favorite or say one was better than the other.

I will say I miss Sisko's style of command, though. I enjoyed how he always seemed so calm, right before he used your own bat'leth to stab you in the heart.

Hypocrisy is part of being female.

My massage lady said it well. She says women always mean what they say when they say it. But the next moment they may mean something else.

My first thoughts would be stick with what you know "massaging". Opinions, assumptions are like the human poop one stop shop blow hole, etc etc everyone has one. I advise bring a thick newspaper to your next massage appointment. :D

A new trailer for Star Trek 12:

Still no sign of space travel, discovery, moral and ethical ideals, sociopolitical commentary, or thinking. So far I see no sign of trek in this latest movie.

It's just a trailer designed to sell a movie with lots of flash over substance. Better to wait for the actual reviews.

Don't do that:

I followed IMDB reviews for Star Trek 11 very closely before and after its release. I actually copied and pasted negative reviews from IMDB to my forum where I was discussing the upcoming movie. Shortly after I would copy the negative reviews they would be deleted from IMDB. Example:

http://www.mscclan.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137085#post137085

Those are two negative reviews that I copied. You will see in the following posts that the reviews were deleted from IMDB. When I tried to expose this on the startrek.com forums I was accused of fabricating negative reviews and trying to create a false conspiracy.

I suggest waiting until it is released on Bluray so you can arrange to watch some one's copy without paying. That way you don't risk supporting something that sucks. That's what I did for ST11... I didn't see it until 6 months after release, and I was glad I waited and didn't pay money because it was horrible.

Don't do that:

I suggest waiting until it is released on Bluray so you can arrange to watch some one's copy without paying. That way you don't risk supporting something that sucks. That's what I did for ST11... I didn't see it until 6 months after release, and I was glad I waited and didn't pay money because it was horrible.

It'll be like Battle of los Angeles, skyline, Killer clowns from outer space <insert a bad sci-fi movie in here> because that is all it will ever be, a terrible sci-fi movie that unfortunately is being branded as a startrek movie. I do however have a better suggestion, don't watch it at all. You know there's going to be one thing guaranteed, you'll be disappointed. I personally would not feed my blu-ray player what will be complete and utter garbage and/or another bad sci-fi movie it deserves more respect than that. :D

A new trailer for Star Trek 12:

Still no sign of space travel, discovery, moral and ethical ideals, sociopolitical commentary, or thinking. So far I see no sign of trek in this latest movie.
We don't seem to have watched the same trailer. At least, not in the same way.

Top Bottom