1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Staff members not listed as staff

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Adam Howard, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

So it would seem that Administrators, which are the highest staff members you can have; are not listed as staff members on the members page.

You seem to have to go out of your way and also add them as moderators before they show up.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I believe this is as designed as I recall discussing it with Mike.

I will let him confirm though.

Andrej likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Indeed this is as designed. You can manually make anyone you want show up as staff, but by default, making someone an administrator doesn't give them any permissions to take action in the forum itself, so to an end-user, they're not likely to be the kind of person that should be contacted about issues. (Think technical administrators, for example.)

Shelley likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

Um, actually, it does. :oops:

Have a go at yourself

http://www.sociallyuncensored.net/xenforo

Admin / 12345678910

Default setting, stock permissions, nothing changed.

Bug?

5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

An administrator that isn't a moderator doesn't have any permissions to perform moderator actions.

The default user created during install is a moderator, administrator and a super administrator.

Vincent and Andrej like this.
  6. Adam Howard

Well, duh, yes, I know the default user is the super administrator

What I just did was made a normal member (which I happen to have named, Admin) and promoted him to administrator. Changing no permission settings.

"Admin" which again is not the default super administrator. Just a user upgraded to administrator and it has full control on the forum.

7. Brogan

You are doing something wrong.

Promoting a member to Administrator does not give them any moderating capabilities.

I suggest reading up on permissions, administrators and moderators.

Jeremy and Pereira like this.
  8. Adam Howard

Going to make a video.

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Making someone an admin doesn't give them extra permissions. Putting them in another group at the same time might though. Regardless, this is as designed -- you can manually set this for each user if you wish to change it.

10. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

@Adam Howard, what user groups is the Admin user in? Just Registered or are they in any secondary groups eg administrative?

11. Adam Howard

What good is an administrator not in the administrator group? o_O

12. Brogan

As I already said, I would suggest reading up how things work.

Adding someone to the Administrative user group does not make them an administrator.

Shelley likes this.
  13. Adam Howard

I did look up. Essentially, by default, XenForo has no administrator (except for the super administrator).

It's a backwards way of doing things (my opinion).......

..... Keep in mind I imported my community and so the permissions were as I expected them -vs- how the stock seems to work.

Should rename administrative as webmaster. :p

You were right. :oops: