1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Management Question

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by 0ptima, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Will XF incorporate spam management tools like Aksimet, typepad, etc?
  2. James

James Well-Known Member

*uses the like feature to acknowledge I also want to know the answer, rendering this post useless*
  3. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

I'd like to know as well.
  4. Safin

Safin Member

I guess it would. Or should anyway :)
  5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed typepad :). It's a must have for me and an awesome spam management system :D
    0ptima likes this.
  6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I heard it will have some nice spam fighting tools but as for the specifics of it not to my knowledge.
  7. Floris

Floris Guest

While there are plans, they're focussing on spam management via inline moderation, so that is done, and done well, and focussing on the core functions of the software, before adding more to it (from what I understood). There's no additional spam management at this point, but I do not know up to what point there IS in the back-end. I am not aware of Akismet already being in the system.
  8. Safin

Safin Member

Oh i hope they do add it then. Its a lifesaver for many forums which otherwise are quickly destroyed by spammers. This is especially true for niche sites where you don't have active staff all day. Akismet does a good job of stopping or preventing obvious spam posts.
  9. Floris

Floris Guest

Oh, I forgot about captcha, they use that.
    I am sure when the xf is more stable, it can get extended with third party things like twitter integration or akismet support or all those sorts of suggestions.

I think it's great if Akismet makes it in, and a no limit stopforumspam key.
    feldon30 likes this.
  10. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I use vBStopForumSpam, which I am hoping will convert to XF.

Akismet was causing issues for my community, so I stopped using it, and I never used Typepad.
  11. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Also using vbStopForumSpam. It links in with the stopforumspam.com database so is pretty decent as a 'global ban list'.
  12. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

yeah, my spam dropped about 95% after I started using that. Hopefully it quickly gets an xf version :D
  13. ragtek

ragtek Guest

But all this global ban lists are against the law ( data privacy act ) ;) (At least in germany, austria, etc... )

You as the admin are not allowed to send personal data (e-mail, ip) to 3rd parties if the users don't know this and don't allow it to you ;)
  14. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

an IP is not personal data. I believe some european court recently ruled that to be the case
  15. James

James Well-Known Member

This is where a terms and conditions come in, or an EULA.

Implementing spam management is fine, if you choose to enable it it becomes your job to clearly notify users.
  16. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

never used typepad ... i would like to see an Q&A system implemented here ...
    James likes this.
  17. James

James Well-Known Member

Suggest it, that could be linked to the FAQ :cool:
    KURTZ likes this.
  18. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

As long as it is in the site terms and conditions and is displayed publicly it is perfectly legal to track and share IP addresses... As has also been mentioned IP addresses are not considered personal information as every user broadcasts their IP on every single connection to the web.
  19. ankurs

ankurs Well-Known Member

will be nice if Aksimet intergration is done, will save lot of moderation time
  20. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Since this time in vB we have 0,0 Spam! A perfect item und a MUST her to.
    KURTZ likes this.