Spam Management Question

as i dont run a forum anymore, im not sure how im going to see the code if its a commerical app though. has development code to coders been discussed yet?

Personally,
Between reCaptcha, a Q and A, and maybe some spam service you should be covered. Allowing any combination of the three would be awesome.

On one site we only run with Q and A, we get a few spammers, but not much.

I think it'll be the same way as vBulletin.

Ah, thats a shame as Im not going to buy a copy just to code a mod for it. If the devs are happy for me to sign a NDA/non release agreement, then Ill happy code something for it or provide the devs with all the new API for the site in order for them to code it.

Personally,
Between reCaptcha, a Q and A, and maybe some spam service you should be covered. Allowing any combination of the three would be awesome.

On one site we only run with Q and A, we get a few spammers, but not much.
that's i said previously ... :)

Ah, thats a shame as Im not going to buy a copy just to code a mod for it. If the devs are happy for me to sign a NDA/non release agreement, then Ill happy code something for it or provide the devs with all the new API for the site in order for them to code it.
That won't be necessary but thank you for the offer. If there is a demand for it plus it fits well into the principles and philosophy of the software the devs will code it.

That won't be necessary but thank you for the offer. If there is a demand for it plus it fits well into the principles and philosophy of the software the devs will code it.
You need to stop making statements as though you're an authority here.

Mike and Kier are unlikely to take up that proposal, however that is their decision, and you have no say in the matter, should stop coming off as though you do.

well, without trying to start a flame thread or anything, as the site dev at stopforumspam.com, Im happy for you to have support for the service out of the box. There is a version of the api thats about to go out shortly, which will provide a much easier way to do things so feel free to PM me and ill give you access to the new api for testing (or criticism :) )

well, without trying to start a flame thread or anything, as the site dev at stopforumspam.com, Im happy for you to have support for the service out of the box. There is a version of the api thats about to go out shortly, which will provide a much easier way to do things so feel free to PM me and ill give you access to the new api for testing (or criticism :) )
The terms of the database prevent us from including it out of the box though: http://www.stopforumspam.com/apis Based on that, it'd have to be a free add-on.

There is a new version of the license on the new site (which is about to be rolled out very very shortly) that has a "with permission" clause but a free addon would certainly stop everyone else going "what about us" :)

on the topic... i would really like to have the ability to ban certain keywords. vB has this functionality though it is not very comprehensive.

i just would like posts to go into moderation if it contain certain items. vB allows the post to get published but the banned keyword is replaced with *****s

i went thro the complete thread before posting my request. the basic idea i got was that the developers would probably wait for a while before incorporating it. they know about these services. they would probably play around with APIs and wait for proper implementation.

i am not sure how successful akismet has been on my forum. i do get some posts in my moderation panel but not too much. but then i guess my forum is not popular enough to be a major target for forum spam!

i use keyword based moderation to keep out people who post links to competing/rouge sites. of course link shortening services make the process futile but it does help in the entire thing.

i use keyword based moderation to keep out people who post links to competing/rouge sites.
Exactly. Or anything they are not supposed to talk about. Spam is not the same for all sites, it could be competing sites, or anything.

Once they do that, I could then silently 'watch' them in my news feed. If silent watching people is not supported for admins I will need a modification for that.

I get a good bit of automated attempts at signing up on my forum, but I have noticed a troubling increase of spam sign ups that appear to be actually attended to by a person so they can break through captcha and question/answer challenges. I found a solution for my forum that has done an absolutely incredible job at pretty much eliminating spam signups on my forum, even from "live" spammers.

It uses a central database of spammers that your forum can call on at the time of registration with the ability to check username, IP address, and email address. So far today on my small forum it has stopped 14 spam registrations.

They have modules for vbulletin, phpbb, SMF and others. Having this functionality pre-built into xenforo would be great. http://www.stopforumspam.com/

It doesn't have to be the website above, it could be similar to IPB's offering that all IP.Board admins can link their forum to a central spam database to share spammer information. Something shared among paying customers.

So I'm starting to get more spam on my forums now. Any ETA on when we might see Akismet and/or TypePad support so we can start having the spam analyzed? :D

Top Bottom