Spam Management Question

What about a spam management service ... something like the Spam Management service IPS offers? Bar that, in line moderation and proper AdminCP configs can hamper spam on your message boards.

What about a spam management service ... something like the Spam Management service IPS offers? Bar that, in line moderation and proper AdminCP configs can hamper spam on your message boards.

I'm not sure if that's completely beneficial when you have services like TypePad and Akismet out there offering similar services with far more comprehensives databases

I'm not sure if that's completely beneficial when you have services like TypePad and Akismet out there offering similar services with far more comprehensives databases
Very true. Very true indeed. Hell, I'm just throwing idea's out there. ;)

There would have to be a way to implement it easily though for an entire forum. Those two are designed for blogs so I don't know if they'd work too well with a forum?

Very true. Very true indeed. Hell, I'm just throwing idea's out there. ;)

There would have to be a way to implement it easily though for an entire forum. Those two are designed for blogs so I don't know if they'd work too well with a forum?

TypePad works great with VB and its very easy to setup. Just take a look here.

Seems like you only get access to the spam management tool from IPS if you have an activelicense.

The staff hasn't posted if you have read the thread, so the answer is no.
[offtopic a bit]
You mean we are not supposed to add a [suggestion] prefix ourselves? doh! I'll send a message to a mod for a thread I just made.
[/offtopic a bit]

Then just type *bump* if you think bumping threads is needed. I think they can't respond to everything, and they don't have to. If they run into it via what's new or just browsing the forum, they'll take notice, surely. Bumping threads because staff isn't posting isn't needed in my opinion. You can't force them to post.

I think Floris's post on the first page was reasonable. Akismet/TypePad-style filtering isn't in the code, though we're definitely aware of it (I think there's some placeholder code there actually).

In terms of spam in general, realize that generally speaking the spamming software needs to be taught to deal with a particular forum/blog/etc software. It's in their interests to go after the most popular software for a better bang for their buck. While XF is in its infancy, I wouldn't expect to see too much automated spam solely because they won't have handlers for it. There could be an argument that this buys us time. :)

I also want to reiterate that the goal is to get XF out as long as it provides benefit to people. We could delay indefinitely to add more features, but that doesn't necessarily help the people that don't need those features. The first release is not the last release; we will keep pushing hard to bring in important functionality as quickly as possible.

On the note of spam management, I think it'd be useful to have a system, like in vBulletin, whereby, you can ban (inc. IP ban) and delete posts made by the spammer.

Top Bottom