Spam Management Question

While there are plans, they're focussing on spam management via inline moderation, so that is done, and done well, and focussing on the core functions of the software, before adding more to it (from what I understood). There's no additional spam management at this point, but I do not know up to what point there IS in the back-end. I am not aware of Akismet already being in the system.

Oh i hope they do add it then. Its a lifesaver for many forums which otherwise are quickly destroyed by spammers. This is especially true for niche sites where you don't have active staff all day. Akismet does a good job of stopping or preventing obvious spam posts.

Oh, I forgot about captcha, they use that.
I am sure when the xf is more stable, it can get extended with third party things like twitter integration or akismet support or all those sorts of suggestions.

I think it's great if Akismet makes it in, and a no limit stopforumspam key.

I use vBStopForumSpam, which I am hoping will convert to XF.

Akismet was causing issues for my community, so I stopped using it, and I never used Typepad.

Akismet was causing issues for my community, so I stopped using it, and I never used Typepad.

Also using vbStopForumSpam. It links in with the stopforumspam.com database so is pretty decent as a 'global ban list'.

yeah, my spam dropped about 95% after I started using that. Hopefully it quickly gets an xf version :D

But all this global ban lists are against the law ( data privacy act ) ;) (At least in germany, austria, etc... )

You as the admin are not allowed to send personal data (e-mail, ip) to 3rd parties if the users don't know this and don't allow it to you ;)

But all this global ban lists are against the law ( data privacy act ) ;) (At least in germany, austria, etc... )

You as the admin are not allowed to send personal data (e-mail, ip) to 3rd parties if the users don't know this and don't allow it to you ;)
This is where a terms and conditions come in, or an EULA.

Implementing spam management is fine, if you choose to enable it it becomes your job to clearly notify users.

As long as it is in the site terms and conditions and is displayed publicly it is perfectly legal to track and share IP addresses... As has also been mentioned IP addresses are not considered personal information as every user broadcasts their IP on every single connection to the web.

Top Bottom