So, what's the downside?

Sador

No, seriously. I've spent a couple of hours in here, and still haven't found anything bad about XenForo. Everything looks great, I keep finding new stuff, the speed is terrific, everything works better than expected... so where's the catch? :P

What do the rest of you think?

Sell the first 500 owned licenses for $100, make a quick $50000. Have a counter on the page that says "there are 257 licenses left at $100, then the price goes up to $150, act now!"

If there are leased licenses, leave them at their final rate, don't offer discounts on them.

Sell the first 500 owned licenses for $100, make a quick $50000. Have a counter on the page that says "there are 257 licenses left at $100, then the price goes up to $150, act now!"

If there are leased licenses, leave them at their final rate, don't offer discounts on them.

I have a feeling these would sell out within hours, and then there would be a "WHaAaaA? You didn't even give me a chance!" type of backlash. :D

And I agree, don't even do leased licenses. They're a ripoff anyway. :)

Selling out within hours would be a good thing, money coming in would be a good thing.

I agree, yes, but I'm saying that a lot of users could get angry that they missed out on a chance to save $50 because they just happened to be out doing something else for the 2 hours that they were available instead of camping on the forums. :D

Look at the comments for the IP.Nexus pre-sale, and you'll see what I mean:
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5210-ipnexus-first-pre-sale/

Instead, a smarter thing to do would be to offer the sale for a fixed period of time, like a two day window, instead of a fixed number of licenses.

Anyways, Mike posted this a while ago:
As a preface, this stuff is still being fleshed out. But, by the "early adopters sale", we were referring to discount after it's available for some period of time, to try to encourage people to give us a shot. We weren't intending a pre-sale style of thing. I think we'd rather you saw the whole thing before committing to it. :)

Doesn't really sound like it's a "quick! 2 days! get a license now!" type of thing.

Err no. Backlash? Yes.

No leased licenses - waste of time, and just don't work that well.

I agree but have you seen the people running IB ...

I wouldn't call them stupid ... so they are bright and have the money yet nothing comes of it ...
Well, they do buy communities, gut the staff, and let them wither on the vine, all while cashing checks off the backs of the dedicated forum members that helped build word-of-mouth of the site and now have egg on their face. So you can't say IB does nothing. :)

They've already ruined 2 communities I cared about.

and to say they do not compete with some of their customers is simply not true.
Indeed. And with the Google Adsense code, IB knows which forums out there are in their target demographic which they can prep for a hostile takeover.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Will the shipping for my xenForo commemorative T-shirt for the first 500 customers cost extra? I wear an XLT btw.

I think leased licenses ended up being a nuisance to track down for the vBulletin team, with not enough revenue to justify it. But that's just my read.

It should be however, lots of people still rely on it, mainly those reluctant to upgrade.

As soon as developers stop thinking that supporting IE6 is necessary, the sooner we'll finally bury that monstrosity. I've had users cry about how my site isn't friendly to IE6 and FireFox 2. They're told point blank to upgrade. I refuse to hand hold those that have the mistaken belief that outdated and insecure software should be supported.

I think leased licenses ended up being a nuisance to track down for the vBulletin team, with not enough revenue to justify it. But that's just my read.

For each leased license you would in theory need to: track the period of time till it expires, warn customers prior and make sure they understand its a lease, follow up and make sure they do renew their lease, if they don't do DMCA/ stuff. At the very least the idea of leased licenses are a hassle.

Biker,

Unfortunately your enemy isn't users. It's IT departments and corporate managers. And they aren't impressed by the posturing of a few forum administrators. They'll dump IE6 when the web is so broken there is no choice but to spend the money to rewrite their inter-office apps that were written using proprietary Microsoft IE6 code.

For most large offices, dumping IE6 is a multimillion dollar choice. Yes, there are a few small offices that are being stupid/belligerent. But mostly it's big offices that are all still deployed on XP SP2 and maintaining it themselves with network patches and obscenely strict firewalls.

Most corporations have a monolithic approach to their computer setups. Adding Firefox or some other browser would increase their support costs. Many offices have a master image or images and control every piece of software on each computer so they don't have to worry about multiple configurations. Many offices remove or plug the USB ports just to cut support costs for the inevitable viruses and unauthorized software installs.

Billion dollar industries are not impressed by a few sites that don't display smoothly in IE6. But I think progress is being made. Our education campaign has made clear to every IT admin out there that IE6 is broken and dead and it's time to dump it.

For each leased license you would in theory need to: track the period of time till it expires, warn customers prior and make sure they understand its a lease, follow up and make sure they do renew their lease, if they don't do DMCA/ stuff. At the very least the idea of leased licenses are a hassle.
You spelled out my point in detail. ;) It's too much work to chase $85.

To be fair, that's what I thought about vB4 as well. We all know how that ended.

Honestly, I cannot agree with you. I was a very active user into Licensed User forum, where I highlighted endless times the issues vBulletin4 will encounter, due to business decisions as well the lack of focus on proper development. I cared about the product and I kept everything private, so only licensed users can read the information. Nobody took matter into hands and my warnings were ignored by most users. I am glad that everyone can now see that everything I posted a year ago became a sad reality. Fortunately, we all now have a viable alternative.

Top Bottom