So whats next (after v1 final)

Adam Howard

I would imagine it would be bug fixing the small bugs others will find. But over all, what do you think they should work on next or will work on next?!

I'm hoping for an official blog or bridge. While I know the majority maybe hoping for a CMS.

Use wordpress/the xenforo bridge and your users have a better blog then IB or xenforo will ever create, simple. There are also blogging mods here that cover that area.

There is something I learned in marketing a couple of decades ago (and I am probably dating myself by saying that :D ): positioning. Companies go into business with a new product. Often it is a unique product, and that company becomes known for it. I can give many examples, but try this one: Xerox. Their copy machines became so popular that their company name became another synonym for "copying." But, what happens if they decide to get into computers? Well, they actually did at one point. And I used one...and let's just say that it was a wise decision that their line of computers was discontinued. Part of positioning is specializing in what you are good at, and not straying outside of your specialization. Does Keebler make ketchup? Does H.J. Heinz make cookies? No.

That is how I view software I install on my servers. If I need a blog, I go straight to Wordpress. Forums? I have a short list of well-established forums I'll use for clients, or my own sites (and XF is my top recommendation). CMS? There are a couple of good ones out there--Drupal, Joomla, etc.. I think what I'd like to see more of is two-way interaction between these prominent systems, such as XF communicating with the Wordpress developers to build a solid bridge between the two. I don't feel XF should reinvent the wheel developing their own version of existing blog, CMS or gallery systems, but why not make others' wheels fit their ride? Let these projects continue specializing in what they do best.

That's my two cents, anyway...and you know how much that'll buy you these days. ;)

The reason why I would never like to go for the "bridge route" is because it breaks consistency. The user interface from both products are so diverse like riding a truck or riding a motorcycle. Changing the look and feel within one site is not very popular. On top of that you are working with two totally different products combining two cores somehow with each other. Maintaining and updating will get more difficult. All in one, the benefits will not match up with the associated problems.

That's why I would prefer one core product with feature addons for this one core.

I, too, would like a CMS. I admit freely that many folks may not agree on the definition of a CMS and there are some threads here that discuss the ability of XF to accomplish this already (though with some future tweaks and additional changes).

What I think of a CMS is an ability to post "Articles" (with photo and/or video embeds) in a prominent place on a portal page. Ability to have posts in response. Ability to configure the layout in a visually pleasing manner. (Admin functions, of course, without issues of "splitting discussions" between CMS and forum threads).

My instinct is that this functionality will be readily "do-able" within the XF framework. What I would like to know, though, is if this is something that XF thinks it would like to do at some point point as a "native" feature or whether this is something that should best be accomplished near/short term with a bridge? Or maybe this is something that a Add-on would address?

My questions, though, are posed knowing that Kier, Mike and Ashley have done a ton of great work in a short period of time and they have just done a huge push to get XF 1.x released. They deserve a break and some patience.

They may know what the short/near term holds or they may have plans already in place. Or they may have held off on decision making. Any of these scenarios are fine by me because I know they have been focusing on the core product- a singular example of a great platform. But, longer term, I would like to know what the recommended approach would be- to wait a while longer for a native CMS, use a bridge or wait for 3rd party Add-ons.

Because of the recent release, I don't expect an answer right now. But at some point, a suggested course of action would be helpful. (For me, I would rather wait if a "better solution" is forthcoming....what I really fear/don't like is going down one road, then having a better solution that I have a hard time implementing because of my previous choices. That makes me err on the side of waiting. Part of my caution is based on my relative inexperience and I would hate to commit to one course of action and lose some or all of my efforts because I can't pull off an import/change).

All of this said, I am not antsy at all....I have great faith that there will be a solution and whatever it is it will be more elegant than what has come before.

But, longer term, I would like to know what the recommended approach would be- to wait a while longer for a native CMS, use a bridge or wait for 3rd party Add-ons.

Because of the recent release, I don't expect an answer right now. But at some point, a suggested course of action would be helpful.

Yes, it would be nice to hear something say within the next 3 months, so that we can have an idea of what official releases are planned for the rest of this year. If an official CMS or Blog was going to be released by the end of the year it would be quite helpful to know. Many have talked of a long-term roadmap, but even a roadmap just for the rest of this year would be very helpful for those of us making plans for the immediate future of our sites. That way the XenForo team isn’t committed to anything long-term except for what’s ahead for the near future.

I, too, would like a CMS. I admit freely that many folks may not agree on the definition of a CMS and there are some threads here that discuss the ability of XF to accomplish this already (though with some future tweaks and additional changes).

What I think of a CMS is an ability to post "Articles" (with photo and/or video embeds) in a prominent place on a portal page. Ability to have posts in response. Ability to configure the layout in a visually pleasing manner. (Admin functions, of course, without issues of "splitting discussions" between CMS and forum threads).

My instinct is that this functionality will be readily "do-able" within the XF framework. What I would like to know, though, is if this is something that XF thinks it would like to do at some point point as a "native" feature or whether this is something that should best be accomplished near/short term with a bridge? Or maybe this is something that a Add-on would address?

My questions, though, are posed knowing that Kier, Mike and Ashley have done a ton of great work in a short period of time and they have just done a huge push to get XF 1.x released. They deserve a break and some patience.

They may know what the short/near term holds or they may have plans already in place. Or they may have held off on decision making. Any of these scenarios are fine by me because I know they have been focusing on the core product- a singular example of a great platform. But, longer term, I would like to know what the recommended approach would be- to wait a while longer for a native CMS, use a bridge or wait for 3rd party Add-ons.

Because of the recent release, I don't expect an answer right now. But at some point, a suggested course of action would be helpful. (For me, I would rather wait if a "better solution" is forthcoming....what I really fear/don't like is going down one road, then having a better solution that I have a hard time implementing because of my previous choices. That makes me err on the side of waiting. Part of my caution is based on my relative inexperience and I would hate to commit to one course of action and lose some or all of my efforts because I can't pull off an import/change).

All of this said, I am not antsy at all....I have great faith that there will be a solution and whatever it is it will be more elegant than what has come before.

One other point, I am not sure if the "pages" functionality is the way to do what I describe. I have tried to understand the power of this feature and I suspect that there may be a way to create a CMS (as I described) by using pages. But, I am not sure I understand this feature well enough to have a grasp on the possible solution.

Any smart people who think this is the way ahead, please feel free to respond.

Pages can be used in that way as they support php callback.
I use them extensively on my site (over 150 I think), although mine are static and done using just html, css and javascript.

The only problem is they sit within the forum structure so it's not possible to make a Page appear as a root page, either in the URL or navigation tabs.

It would be nice to see some type of roadmap. I know I would absolutely love to see the following features in upcoming releases:
  • Thread Prefixes
  • Thread Tagging
  • Usergroup Duplication & Forum Duplication
  • Reputation System (Built-In)
This is all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are plenty more features to be added. I don't want to become too reliant on developers for core features. I do like how quickly the community of addon developers has grown (considering a convinced a friend of mine to start developing - see Hall of Fame, and New Threads Quota). But my hope is that the above will be built in by Kier and Mike :).

The reason why I would never like to go for the "bridge route" is because it breaks consistency. The user interface from both products are so diverse like riding a truck or riding a motorcycle. Changing the look and feel within one site is not very popular. On top of that you are working with two totally different products combining two cores somehow with each other. Maintaining and updating will get more difficult. All in one, the benefits will not match up with the associated problems.

That's why I would prefer one core product with feature addons for this one core.

Bingo. Simplicity is the reason I too want 1st party developer addons.

But, longer term, I would like to know what the recommended approach would be- to wait a while longer for a native CMS, use a bridge or wait for 3rd party Add-ons.

Because of the recent release, I don't expect an answer right now. But at some point, a suggested course of action would be helpful. (For me, I would rather wait if a "better solution" is forthcoming....what I really fear/don't like is going down one road, then having a better solution that I have a hard time implementing because of my previous choices. That makes me err on the side of waiting. Part of my caution is based on my relative inexperience and I would hate to commit to one course of action and lose some or all of my efforts because I can't pull off an import/change)

+1

On top of that you are working with two totally different products combining two cores somehow with each other. Maintaining and updating will get more difficult. All in one, the benefits will not match up with the associated problems.

I agree wholeheartedly that maintenance and upgrades become difficult. We currently have what we jokingly call a 'Frankensite,' ... we're running vBulletin 3.8, Joomla, Wordpress within Joomla as a component, PHPMyDirectory, DataFeedr, PhotoPlog, and a number of smaller components and plugins, though you wouldn't know it from looking at it. I disagree with this blanket statement, though:

The reason why I would never like to go for the "bridge route" is because it breaks consistency. The user interface from both products are so diverse like riding a truck or riding a motorcycle. Changing the look and feel within one site is not very popular.

It works very well for our purposes and visually, it's seamless. Logins are all in sync using JFusion bridge and our members don't know the difference. BUT it's a PITA to upgrade and/or to update things like the menu.

Can't wait to get everything onto one platform with as few other pieces as necessary!

Anyone else noticed just how strange this conversation is? The XenForo team have something they can have a look through without seeing people *****ing and moaning at each other. Yeah everyone has their own thoughts and opinions, but its so nice to sit on a forum like this reading away without people constantly getting at each other. Kinda reminds me of late vbulletin 2 series days.

Anyone else noticed just how strange this conversation is? The XenForo team have something they can have a look through without seeing people *****ing and moaning at each other. Yeah everyone has their own thoughts and opinions, but its so nice to sit on a forum like this reading away without people constantly getting at each other. Kinda reminds me of late vbulletin 2 series days.

Was it anything like pre-vb 3.8/4 releases... kindergartner in a candy/toys... Parents(mods) seems to curb our sweet tooth, if it gets out of hand. Plus if you really need something, then do what some forum admin do.... (Pay a bounty to get this modification working on your site or group up and split the cost)

Very well said and my thoughts exactly.

And then it turns into a vb discussion - nice one. ;)

vBulletin.org is redundant. It could've been just integrated within the official forums, like how we have it or IPB has it. Then again, I come from there/MyBB rather than from vBulletin, so that could be why.

At one point it was integrated with vBulletin.com, but it was decided later on to be spun off as a way to demonstrate hacks and what modding could do to a stock forum.

Top Bottom