Smilies?

The reason for 18x18 is that I want them to fit in the flow of the text without changing the line spacing.
Yes! I am a self-admitted smilie addict like some others here (I'm looking at you Peggy. :p) but it drive me nuts coming across a really nice set that I'd love to use but their size breaks the flow of paragraphs.

Kier said later he didn't know where he had got the 18px from, it is actually 21px.

I took that to mean that 21 might be possible, just waiting to hear back from him to confirm.

Kier said later he didn't know where he had got the 18px from, it is actually 21px.

I took that to mean that 21 might be possible, just waiting to hear back from him to confirm.

I don't think default smilies would ever come as 21px square or atleast I wouldn't have it on a default package. Personally, I would opt for smilies going up in 4px increments starting at 16px by 16px, 20px by 20px and maximum size 24px by 24px. that said though, I prefer 18px square (default dimensions here) than 16px square as it allows you to convey a smilies emotion more fluently. 20px square would be a nice size thinking more on dimensions.

As long as it doesn't interrupt the text formatting between words and line spacing it be acceptable. I think I'll go and test some 20px squared smilies in the test forum.

I'm surprised this thread conjured up people to admit their smilie addiction.

It would be nice to have a few sets of smilies to pick from, and we can figure out which one to come default with XF, and which could be in alternative packs.

I'm surprised this thread conjured up people to admit their smilie addiction.

It would be nice to have a few sets of smilies to pick from, and we can figure out which one to come default with XF, and which could be in alternative packs.

I think it's safe to say (though the devs will confirm this) the smilies that are being used on XF will be the ones shipped with the software. Although i wasn't so keen on them at the start they have grown on me and couldn't imagine them being changed. Alternatives will also be available but again the devs will clarify that. :)

Yes! I am a self-admitted smilie addict like some others here (I'm looking at you Peggy. :p) but it drive me nuts coming across a really nice set that I'd love to use but their size breaks the flow of paragraphs.
yeah yeah yeah most everyone knows about my smiley addiction by now, lol.

I too hate it when smilies break the line height and paragraphs. That's why I always stick with 18 x 18. Seems to be the largest size that won't do that.

I think it's safe to say (though the devs will confirm this) the smilies that are being used on XF will be the ones shipped with the software. Although i wasn't so keen on them at the start they have grown on me and couldn't imagine them being changed. Alternatives will also be available but again the devs will clarify that. :)
I've grown to like them too, but I like the others a bit better. ;)

At first, I really despised the current set of smilies... but like others, I've come to like them. Mostly because they're unique and different... and they're not perfect. Looking back at most other smiley packs out there, the faces are all nice and aligned symmetrically and such, but I quite like this set's imperfections much better.

At first, I really despised the current set of smilies... but like others, I've come to like them. Mostly because they're unique and different... and they're not perfect. Looking back at most other smiley packs out there, the faces are all nice and aligned symmetrically and such, but I quite like this set's imperfections much better.

Same here, it adds perspective which I noticed kier added to this pack. Not to mention kier has suggested some tips on mockup smilies I'm designing which i made to an alternative pack. His suggestions certainly improved them with certain layers offset here whilst other areas rotated there. I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Mostly because they're unique and different... and they're not perfect. Looking back at most other smiley packs out there, the faces are all nice and aligned symmetrically and such, but I quite like this set's imperfections much better.

Strangely enough their 'imperfection' perfectly suits inside the otherwise perfect UI of XenForo. I also like them because of the reason's you've stated, for some strange reason (and I am a perfectionist when it comes to UI's, in case no-one noticed...;))

I figured that as we have such a surgically clean UI, it might be nice to inject a bit of visual fun into the mix with some rough and ready smilies packed with emotion. That said, there are some things that bother me with my set - the :rolleyes: smilie's background is too dark, the left eye on ;) looks more like he's been in a fight... they all need a bit of attention to be honest.

I'd love to see some 20px or even 21px offerings, just to see how they look here - meanwhile, Shelley's 18px set is looking very nice indeed.

I don't think default smilies would ever come as 21px square or atleast I wouldn't have it on a default package. Personally, I would opt for smilies going up in 4px increments starting at 16px by 16px, 20px by 20px and maximum size 24px by 24px. that said though, I prefer 18px square (default dimensions here) than 16px square as it allows you to convey a smilies emotion more fluently. 20px square would be a nice size thinking more on dimensions.

As long as it doesn't interrupt the text formatting between words and line spacing it be acceptable. I think I'll go and test some 20px squared smilies in the test forum.

The reason for the odd number is so the faces can be centered, all the current even numbered ones suffer from the faces not actually being symmetrical, it offers designers and animators more freedom if they can have an even space between the eyes for example.

The reason for the odd number is so the faces can be centered, all the current even numbered ones suffer from the faces not actually being symmetrical, it offers designers and animators more freedom if they can have an even space between the eyes for example.

The way I build/construct smilies is through vectors so I can created (say the eyes) as 1 layer (add to shape layer) and connect them together without these problems. But sometimes symmetrical features within a smiley doesn't convey the emotion where off setting it and adding perspective does convey what you want that smilies emotion to be.

Yeah I do it that way too, but each to their own in terms of what looks best ;) Your smilies are cute, as are Kiers, I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I have done hundreds of them on the standard IPB base of 20x 20 and the ability to center the face - if one chooses too, *is* something that could be improved, merely suggesting that as this is a clean slate, it could be improved instead of sticking to conventional sizing just for the sake of it.

:)

I figured that as we have such a surgically clean UI, it might be nice to inject a bit of visual fun into the mix with some rough and ready smilies packed with emotion. That said, there are some things that bother me with my set - the :rolleyes: smilie's background is too dark, the left eye on ;) looks more like he's been in a fight... they all need a bit of attention to be honest.

I'd love to see some 20px or even 21px offerings, just to see how they look here - meanwhile, Shelley's 18px set is looking very nice indeed.

Cool so looking at 21px then :D

I assume there is some cool add a whole bunch of smilies option in the ACP ...

Might kick off by converting some of the ones I did back in the day for IPB, really looking forward to what other members come up with as well :cool:

I find it really strange that someone decided an even number of pixels was the way to go and then everyone, myself included, simply followed along. Nice to see xF giving room for changes in something as simple as smilie construction.

The more the merrier people.

Yeah I do it that way too, but each to their own in terms of what looks best ;) Your smilies are cute, as are Kiers, I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I have done hundreds of them on the standard IPB base of 20x 20 and the ability to center the face - if one chooses too, *is* something that could be improved, merely suggesting that as this is a clean slate, it could be improved instead of sticking to conventional sizing just for the sake of it.

:)
You're not stepping on anyone's toes. I'd love to see yours as well. If nothing else, they can be posted here in the graphics section when we open it.
People are always looking for good smilies.

Top Bottom