1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smilies?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Kim, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Just wondering where the default set of smilies came from?

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The ones I painted on a Wednesday morning a few weeks ago?

3. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

lol

OK.. would you be interested in a new set?

4. Kier

soloarquitectura likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I have to confess to being a smiliaholic, I have hundreds on my site, a lot of which were made by me ages ago for the IPB base yellow smilie.

Glad to hear someone is working on more, I might have a go at making some unique ones if I get some time :)

It would be nice to have a unique xenforo base size and style of smilie so community members can make their own. I think in this day and age they can be a little larger and clearer than the old style vB ones ;)

6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Yes please have a go at it. I think they're going with 18 x 18 for defaults.

7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Even as an self-proclaimed UI-freak ;), I find default smilies not that important, because one can choose from a goldmine of available smilies on the internet. When vB3 was released I really did not like the smilies that much, so I replaced them with the Bad Bunny Smilies: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...;p=524506#post524506.

Having said that, I really like the XenForo default smilies. I don't even feel the need to change them.

Brandon_R likes this.
  8. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I like them also, the details are nice.

9. Kier

I quite like them too, but I'd probably hand over the original graphics to someone to clean them up and add some polish - someone with more experience working at the tiny scales required - my expertise does not lie in that area.

10. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Okies Peggy, if I get a chance I will, the IPB ones which are fabulous are 20x20 and I honestly think that is a fine, however there was always a slight problem with centering their faces as it was a even number of px it actually should be an odd number, they would look awesome at 21x21.

I quite like them too Kier, they have a charm :) from a graphic designer view point they could be cleaner tho ;)

11. Kier

The reason for 18x18 is that I want them to fit in the flow of the text without changing the line spacing.

Eriksrocks and Kevin like this.
  12. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Such a boy.. and a developer boy viewpoint >_< lol

13. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

could we compromise on 19x19 so faces can be centered?

14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Next it'll be 18.5 :eek:

Grover and Dragonfly like this.
  15. Kier

I'm not sure where I got 18px from... I just measured the line height and I make it 21px...

16. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

so 21 would be fine? :D

17. Caliburn

Caliburn Well-Known Member

We need more emoticons. At least an Alien one. :(

18. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Well, if we can use this code for it:

:xenforo:

... than that will fit perfectly. :cool:

19. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

If you don't have at least a 100 smilies on your site then you are not a smilie fan and the smilie dragon will descend and burn your house down :mad: Okay I might have made that last bit up ... or did I?

Sign me on board smilie creation for xF as well, have we settled on 21x21? Made a bunch for Invision and kind of enjoyed that. You can neither have enough smilies imho.

20. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Kier stated above that he prefers 18 x 18, due to line height.