Implemented Smilie (Smiley) Categories or Sort Weighting

ArnyVee

I'd like to add different smilies to the site (have about 200), but I want to wait until there is that "the dropdown list extends for like a mile" issue is resolved.

In the meantime, I've added a couple of extra ones and I'd like to sort them out away from the default smileys. Can we either have categories for the smilies or have a weighing added to the smilies to display certain ones first or in a particular order?

Upvote 107
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
spritesheets also wouldn't work for animated gifs.

the sort & category stuff I did would work w/ spritesheets but I'm not using them for the same reason, the happyplace doesn't like them.

Ah, forgot about .gifs I think I'm in a position where I would be happy and content not using animated smilies so spritesheet support would be welcomed if not to significantly lower the page loads on http requests being made.

That being said. With regard to the page loading all smilies which you highlighted as a concern whether they are in categories or not people are still adding hundreds of smilies with the default system so I wouldn't worry too much for that reason people are adding an abundance of smilies regardless.

Now all we need is for XenForo to properly use all those smilies. Once that happens.... I've got at least 2,000 which will be added. Primary smilies will of course be this pack alongside the default xf pack.

Now all we need is for XenForo to properly use all those smilies. Once that happens.... I've got at least 2,000 which will be added. Primary smilies will of course be this pack alongside the default xf pack.

phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, SMF, and many others could indeed have that many. You'd setup the default and from there, you'd be able to "scroll down" inside a fixed menu or click a "more smilies link", which would bring a pop up page to view them all.

This is what XenForo needs.

Was about to 'Like' the OP to show support before realizing I already did! :D

Another person here who would love to see some type of smiley management; even if it was just something really basic to start with like vB's way of assigning them weighted to categories. What I am finding from personal experience is that starting a new site with XF smiley management really isn't a problem because most people are starting off with just the extended pack of 30~ but for those who are converting over from existing established sites, then bringing over hundreds of smilies, with no way of controlling their display, is becoming a bit of an issue.

Was about to 'Like' the OP to show support before realizing I already did! :D

Another person here who would love to see some type of smiley management; even if it was just something really basic to start with like vB's way of assigning them weighted to categories. What I am finding from personal experience is that starting a new site with XF smiley management really isn't a problem because most people are starting off with just the extended pack of 30~ but for those who are converting over from existing established sites, then bringing over hundreds of smilies, with no way of controlling their display, is becoming a bit of an issue.

Yeah the current setup really doesn't cater for those of us who use an abundance of smilies. You can only add so much before the dropdown menu becomes lengthy and induces alot of scrolling.

Saw this thread in Shelley's sig lollll had me thinking this thread was some kind of smilie category modification. I got all excited smh. Like Shelley just mentioned, I would love to be able to add more smilies without it looking all clunky and annoying when you already have a bunch of smilies.

Saw this thread in Shelley's sig lollll had me thinking this thread was some kind of smilie category modification. I got all excited smh. Like Shelley just mentioned, I would love to be able to add more smilies without it looking all clunky and annoying when you already have a bunch of smilies.

It is, in a sense. it's a bit of everything smiley related that make up all features in a standard smiley = a fully fledged smiley manager. A backend smiley category option/feature will help contain those smilies and make them distinguishable in the categories in the admincp. but there also needs to be front end organization of those categories otherwise you'll still be facing the same issue with the dropdown smiley box.

Since it has to do with 'organizing smilies'....

So, I didn't notice that the "Happy Place" add-on doesn't work with the sprite sheet. Anyone know how to adjust the add-on to work with individual smilies?

Since it has to do with 'organizing smilies'....

So, I didn't notice that the "Happy Place" add-on doesn't work with the sprite sheet. Anyone know how to adjust the add-on to work with individual smilies?

Responded to your question at my site but I'll mention it here you will have to go into the admincp >> smilies and set the smilies from using spritesheets to individual images (smilies).

Responded to your question at my site but I'll mention it here you will have to go into the admincp >> smilies and set the smilies from using spritesheets to individual images (smilies).

Oh, I see.

So, I have to disable the CSS option and then place the correct URL to each smilie.

I'd like to weigh in on this suggestion (sorry, but I haven't read all of the preceding 5 pages of posts). I have 32 generic smilies (which should always show in the dropdown), 8 animals (which could go on a paginated second page on the dropdown), 14 tetromino shapes (third page), and 12 secret smilies which should never show up anywhere (they're large "easter egg" smilies).

As a workaround, it's currently possible to re-order smilies in the dropdown by deleting them all and adding them one by one in the order you want them to appear. Certainly something that could use improvement!

In short, my suggestions are these:
1. Add smiley display order
2. Add smiley categories
3. Add pagination for smiley categories in dropdown
4. Add category display order, with an index of -1 for a secret/hidden category

I'd like to weigh in on this suggestion (sorry, but I haven't read all of the preceding 5 pages of posts). I have 32 generic smilies (which should always show in the dropdown), 8 animals (which could go on a paginated second page on the dropdown), 14 tetromino shapes (third page), and 12 secret smilies which should never show up anywhere (they're large "easter egg" smilies).

As a workaround, it's currently possible to re-order smilies in the dropdown by deleting them all and adding them one by one in the order you want them to appear. Certainly something that could use improvement!

1. Add smiley display order
2. Add smiley categories

Could you explain more thoroughly #3 in more detail? I know what your requesting and on paper this may be a great solution but how will you combat long category titles when there's only a limited amount of space in the dropdown menu of death? If your meaning numbered solution how will people know what category smilies are with numbers?

I personally think a smiley solution, a fix, advancement doesn't involve the dropdown menu in anyway whatsoever but that's just my 2 pennies worth. :)

On a related note, all those suggestions your proposing have been suggested but I guess it doesn't hurt to highlight what people are looking for when the the fact of the matter the smiley solution is absolutely dire.

Don't worry Peggy, I'm sure that Kier and/or Mike will address the "Smiley Situation" with xF :)

There are SO many communities that need these little graphical touches to bring their threads, posts and site to life that it is just a matter of time before we find some fixes. :D
I'm shivering terribly. The layout, sorting and displaying of smilies is something I personally would like to see implemented by the gold release. Being a smiley resource and with my site using hundreds of smilies it's quite vital that a solution is implemented. I know there's other priorities that outweigh this one so I'm patient. Kind of. :)

I'm quite surprised an add-on hasn't been created or posted. I'm wondering if it's worth a few people chipping in and hiring a coder to create an advance smiley manager. Just a thought for you smiley lovers. This way, we have a temporary solution.

Probably not! Their attention/input has been conspicuous by its absence! boredsmiley.gif But you might like to add my signature to yours to carry on the campaign!

As a workaround, it's currently possible to re-order smilies in the dropdown by deleting them all and adding them one by one in the order you want them to appear.
Tried that - doesn't work for me 2 cry6.gif

What 'drop-down"? I've searched and searched but I can't find it anywhere.
Like #4 though!

Top Bottom