Implemented Smilie (Smiley) Categories or Sort Weighting

ArnyVee

I'd like to add different smilies to the site (have about 200), but I want to wait until there is that "the dropdown list extends for like a mile" issue is resolved.

In the meantime, I've added a couple of extra ones and I'd like to sort them out away from the default smileys. Can we either have categories for the smilies or have a weighing added to the smilies to display certain ones first or in a particular order?

Upvote 107
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'd help as much as I could tho it might not be much. But I'm really hoping that the devs will do this for us hundreds, if not thousands, of smiley lovers. :)

I'm in the same boat too. I had to limit the amount of smilies on my xF community just because of the smilie drop-down menu becoming very long. I don't have as many as you guys but I still had to park a few of my favorites until something is developed down the road. I should say, I am hoping something is developed to incorporate smilies into a nice, neat, organized package. Categories or some type of weight sorting sounds like a great idea.

I understand Peggy :)

I've got more than 200 smilies waiting for a home. I'm hoping for a way to do a bulk upload and then a way to have them sorted out and organized :D
I have close to 1100 waiting for a home...not including the ones that I downloaded from Shelley that are XenForo specific.

So, we have about 15 "likes" on the first post of this thread. Let's make sure that we all click on "like" so that we can get it up the list of priority items for Kier and Mike to work on :)

Smiley lovers unite! :D

Does anyone know (as a temporary solution, permanent for me) know how to place the smilies under the type box (as shown in the attachment) or even know if it's possibly to accomplish in beta2 current state?

Attachments

• smilies-under-post.webp
    smilies-under-post.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 48
We have a large amount of smilies so categories would be really helpful! We've added Inph's addon to have the smilies in a box underneath the editor (awesome job there!) - which would be great to have in the default version along with categories to make the overall affect easier to navigate and not so in your face. :)

Has anyone found a way to avoid that HUGE list of smilies in the dropdown yet? It doesn't look very professsional and I'd like to make sure that it's user friendly before we get TeeVeeTown.com out of beta stages :)
id love to nix that drop down altogether and see the happy place mod integrated into the core along with categorisation and whatnot.

another thing that would be really cool is if xf used something like happy place, yet only had maybe half dozen defaults. the common ones like :) :( :mad: etc
then let members open a list and add another 15 from a cp menu into their happy place. perhaps even allow a couple to be hotlinks.
id love a system like that!

I'm in now as well. :D I counted--we have 320. Some aren't used often, but they're used nonetheless. A lot of us just type in the smiley code, but others need a drop-down to pick a smiley. I imported my smilies to XF as a test and saw what happened to the drop-down menu...yikes! The rows/columns will help, and I think I can talk the staff into paring down the smileys to around 100, which would work for us.

Are you hinting at me? Because I'm not doing it.

Nobody asked you to do it. TBH I much prefer the original author of the happy place mod to do it but time will tell with that.Better still, smilies under the text area with category frontend/backend management added to the core would be my preferred choice. Whilst good as an addon features such as these deserve to be included into the core paving the way for a better smiley management system that I feel no forum boasts. Xenforo should break from that tradition.

Top Bottom