Smiley Manager

Smiley Manager 2.2.0

No permission to download
in fact, I think it would be good to have in the "New Profile posts" block :)

I did read that in your suggestion thread which is why I specifically stated in my post above "I noticed they didn't parse in the profile status sidebar block which I think was a good move not to have them displaying" and liked the way @Milano implemented this update. :)

Edit: If the idea is being entertained, perhaps have this has an option which can be enabled/disabled. Personally, I like how it is now with them not parsing over onto the block.

Last edited:
"Smiley Manager is a useful tool for smilies management that help you group them into categories."

Sorry, but I don't really see the need for an add-on that does the same as a standard installation of XF does, when it comes to smilies. Or is there something I'm missing here?

Look here:
Features:
  • Add smilie categories.
  • Batch update smilies.
  • Bulk import smilies.
  • Display smilies with tab in the editor.
  • Smiley import and export.
  • Smiley display order.
  • Quickload Smiley mode. (Configure in ACP - Options - Messages and Account Preferences)
  • Parse smilies in Profile posts and comments
  • Import from Sprite image.
  • Select, create new category before import.
Features in underline are deprecated in 2.x.x branch
So this is what the addon really does in it's latest Version.
Features:
  • Batch update smilies.
  • Quickload Smiley mode. (Configure in ACP - Options - Messages and Account Preferences)
  • Parse smilies in Profile posts and comments
  • Import from Sprite image.
    bulk-add-smilies-sprite-admin-cp-xenforo-png.62797
  • Select, create new category before import.

"Smiley Manager is a useful tool for smilies management that help you group them into categories."

Sorry, but I don't really see the need for an add-on that does the same as a standard installation of XF does, when it comes to smilies. Or is there something I'm missing here?

Smiley Manager was first released for XF 1.2 before most of its features became core in XF 1.3, hence the description. You can see the previous post for more infomation.

Last edited:

There's many things this add-on does that the default xenforo doesn't. Uploading a spritesheet and the ability to select from the sheet and add smilies which makes things significantly easier when the smilies you use gets updates. Another nice feature is the ability to click in the text area and the smilie box opens instead of having to click the smiley bbcode box (pending the option is checked) is another difference. Another is having the ability to have smilies in your profile and comments and now with the latest updates parsing in the sidebar block. There's other stuff but can't think of what they are but there's a feature list you could read. For me personally, there's enough of a difference that this add-on has which i find useful to install it.

Last edited:
There's many things this add-on does that the default xenforo doesn't. Uploading a spritesheet and the ability to select from the sheet and add smilies which makes things significantly easier when the smilies you use gets updates. Another nice feature is the ability to click in the text area and the smilie box opens instead of having to click the smiley bbcode box (pending the option is checked) is another difference. Another is having the ability to have smilies in your profile and comments and now with the latest updates parsing in the sidebar block. There's other stuff but can't think of what they are but there's a feature list you could read. or me personally there's enough of a difference that this add-on has which i find useful to install it.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Work perfectly, really great (y)

View attachment 82311

I'll take back on some of what I said. The smilies don't look bad at all on the profile block. I half expected extreme line formatting breakages and other adverse affects happening but it seems to look alright. I think though, anything larger than 18px by 18px sized smilies and it could be a problem and posts on the block becoming unreadable and distracting.Which of course, I'm going to test now.

Screenshot_14.webp
Edit: A little spacing which is noticeable (screenshot below) using slightly larger smilies. I'd personally stick with 18px smilies myself.

Screenshot_15.webp

Last edited:

Personally, I use only "New Profile Posts" part of this add-on, the management smileys is now very well run natively in XenForo.

An add-on that afford only smilies in the block and on the page "New Profiles Posts", would be sufficient and probably simpler.

@Milano - Not sure this is a suggestion you would accommodate, but would it be possible to give the admin an option on the amount of smilies which can be used per status update/profile post. I tested it on another site and think it would be open to abuse so thought I'd make the suggestion. TIA :)

Screenshot_18.webp

That is a good idea, i will give it a shot :D

Thanks a bunch Milano. :)

Not sure whether another idea regarding restricting smilies through the profile and status update area/block would be if a admin could set a pixel restriction, say a height and width field where lets say if they put 22px by 22px into that field in the admincp, any smiley exceeding those dimensions, will not be displayed or an error overlay pops up to the user trying to use large smilies with something like "dimension of smiley to big" and the smiley image doesn't show/display.

Again, anything that can be done is appreciated and thanks again. :)

but would it be possible to give the admin an option on the amount of smilies which can be used per status update/profile post

FYI due to the way smilie parser works, all smilies from message will not be parsed if their amount are greater than the option, unlike the images or media embeds per message that only ignore the exceeding parts.

any smiley exceeding those dimensions, will not be displayed

This works but it looks ridiculous when the whole message are all large smilies that can not be displayed, as a result, you will see a blank/empty message.

an error overlay pops up to the user trying to use large smilies with something like "dimension of smiley to big" and the smiley image doesn't show/display.

This can be done but it can not stop or alert user before posting the status because we can only get the dimension of smiley after the message has been posted and parsed.

Top Bottom