Browser issue Smiley deletion problem

Martok

This is an problem with deleting smilies when using Chrome on a Nexus 7.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Type in some text
  2. Add a smiley from the smiley menu
  3. Try to delete the smiley
On doing this, the cursor will not delete the smiley, it will jump to the left of the smiley and start deleting the text preceding it. Placing the cursor to the right of the smiley again and trying to delete it and the same occurs.

These same issues also occur when using Firefox on a Nexus 7 using the same steps above. However, a couple of additional issues also occur:
  • On adding a smiley, the cursor jumps to the left of the smiley
  • Even after positioning the cursor to the right of the smiley, any additional text added is place to the left of the smiley, you can't put any text to the right of it.

Tested this in Chrome and Safari on the iPad and there was no problem there.

Unfortunately, there's very little we can do to workaround this. Particularly in Chrome, due to this: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=118639 We can't even detect the backspace.

It's worth noting that the stock browser doesn't seem to have this issue - it sends the correct keycode and even deletes the smiley.

Thanks for checking this out.

I'm confused about what you mean my the 'stock browser' not having this issue? On the Nexus 7, the stock browser is Chrome.

Any idea why is it fine on Chrome on the iPad but not Chrome on Android?

BTW I've only just realised that the same issue exists with TinyMCE in the current version of Xenforo. :(

@Martok,

All browsers on iOS actually have to use the WebKit rendering engine used by Safari, and a slower, less appealing JavaScript engine. This means that Chrome for iOS does not use the same engine as Chrome for Android.

In reference to his "stock browser" comment, I believe he's referring to the fact that up until 4.0 there was a stock Android browser, and since < 4.0 still has a dominate share, this is still considered the "stock" browser.

In reference to his "stock browser" comment, I believe he's referring to the fact that up until 4.0 there was a stock Android browser, and since < 4.0 still has a dominate share, this is still considered the "stock" browser.
I believe it still exists now as part of the open source version (AOSP), just that the Nexus devices use Chrome. For example, I'm testing with the 4.1 AOSP browser.

The last time I honestly used Android was one a 3.x device. I just know Chrome didn't become Android default into 4 something. But we were referring to the same browser, I just don't know availability of it. lol.

I've just looked into this problem for one of our CycleChat members and we found a workaround:
  • Tap the smiley (it gets highlighted and the smiley image URL overlay pops up)
  • Close the URL overlay
  • Press SPACE (which overwrites the smiley and makes it disappear)

Top Bottom