XF 1.4 Sitemap XML

XenForo 1.4 includes a complete and extensible implementation of the Sitemap XML standard, allowing for optimised indexing of your site by search engines.

for like SEO and stuff...

Watch on Vimeo

As always, please don't post suggestions in this thread, but rather use the appropriate suggestions forum.

How will this effect my current site map add on if I choose to go with Xenforo's Sitemap? Do I need to do anything different? Resubmit to Google?

I'm going to guess you will have to resubmit from /sitemap/sitemap.xml.gz to /sitemap.php

So is there a definitive answer on how to submit to Google? Especially for those using the Sitemap add on for so long?Will SEO be effected with the switch over? Currently I have this with a site map add on - not Xenforo 1.4.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 8.23.29 AM.webp

I have moved from the Site Map add-on to Xenforo's and i have not had any bad side effect, end of the day your pages are still the same pages in the same place, the site map just tells google where to find them. So has your pages are already indexed by google, the only thing the swap will effect is new pages not yet indexed.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 21.15.06.webp

I have moved from the Site Map add-on to Xenforo's and i have not had any bad side effect, end of the day your pages are still the same pages in the same place, the site map just tells google where to find them. So has your pages are already indexed by google, the only thing the swap will effect is new pages not yet indexed.

View attachment 80829
Good news, what was the URL xml you used to submit, what is the change from the add on to Xenforo's core site map?
for instance, mine was /community/sitemap/XYZ

Good news, what was the URL xml you used to submit, what is the change from the add on to Xenforo's core site map?
for instance, mine was /community/sitemap/XYZ
Using the addon by @Rigel Kentaurus the part i entered in webmasters tools was /sitemap/sitemap.xml.gz now using the stock Xenforo sitemaps i just use /sitemap.php
If you're worried, you can always keep the addon installed and submit Xenforo's sitemap to google also, once your happy its working right, just remove the addon and the sitemap from webmaster tools.

Yours will be /community/sitemap.php
So there is no threads, forums - etc? Just one map? How many items are submitted? 50,000 is said to be the max or its over kill - not submitted last I remember, I have it set at 10,000 currently, Xenforo has no base settings what so ever.

Thanks,

Using the addon by @Rigel Kentaurus the part i entered in webmasters tools was /sitemap/sitemap.xml.gz now using the stock Xenforo sitemaps i just use /sitemap.php
If you're worried, you can always keep the addon installed and submit Xenforo's sitemap to google also, once your happy its working right, just remove the addon and the sitemap from webmaster tools.
No worry of duplicate content being submitted?

So there is no threads, forums - etc? Just one map? How many items are submitted? 50,000 is said to be the max or its over kill - not submitted last I remember, I have it set at 10,000 currently, Xenforo has no base settings what so ever.

Thanks,
Oh - I do see it adds threads and nodes, what would the sitemap xml be for my robots.txt - currently its
Code:
Sitemap: http://www.sphynxlair.com/community/sitemap/sitemap.xml.gz

No worry of duplicate content being submitted?
It should only take a few hour to a day for it to show that its indexed the pages, because most your pages will already be indexed via the addon site map, its not duplicate content because the address to the pages are the same.
A sitemap is only telling google where to look for your content.

Ahh, such a nice addition! I updated to using the beta on one of my small test boards and it's nearly doubled the total indexed pages with Google. I'm looking forward to the official 1.4 release.

Webmaster_Tools_-_Index_Status.webp

Question: Other than the fact that this is built in (kudos), does this site map have any improvements over the add-on available here?

And a related question: Is a sitemap helpful? I've heard pros and cons on this topic.

Top Bottom