Site taking 40 seconds to load...

DBA

....with dial-up. :p

Sadly dial-up is still the only option for a number households. I'd blow my brains out if I still had to surf the web with it.

dail-up.webp

Ah! those were the days. Hearing that buzzing pinging noise before finally connecting 30 seconds later. And downloading something that showed 3 days left to do and having no phone-line in the meantime. :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why oh why would you do this! Scary to see though, I remember back when I had my first slip/ppp account back in oh 1994 or so and wigged out when I got an 8k download speed on a file...ahh those were the days.

I can remember having a 14.4 dial-up modem first, what a nightmare! Then later when 56k dial-up modems came along thinking great rushing out buying one, I've now got the fastest internet speed! :coffee:

I used to run a bulletin board. It ran on an Amiga and had ONE single incoming phone line. This was in the days before the net. Only one person could dial in at a time :) It started life with a 2400 baud modem.

I can remember having a 14.4 dial-up modem first, what a nightmare! Then later when 56k dial-up modems came along thinking great rushing out buying one, I've now got the fastest internet speed! :coffee:
But what noone told you was all 56k modems are is 14.4k modems with compression!

The horror!!

I used to run a bulletin board. It ran on an Amiga and had ONE single incoming phone line. This was in the days before the net. Only one person could dial in at a time :) It started life with a 2400 baud modem.

I remember the first modem we had in our house, was on a Commodore 64 :) 300 baud for the win!

200px-CommodoreVICModem.webp

Don't start me off on old computers owned. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

sinclair_zx-spectrum_3-4_2_hr_s.jpg

Later had Commodore 64 with Tape Deck add-on, Amiga 500 and 600, along with Atari ST (512 and 1024). The Commodore Amiga was a great machine in it's day! If you remember the O/S it used was called "Bench" I think, worked well too?

I also used to own an Amstad CPC 464 (Green Screen) version, not colour. Moved up in the world with that one, or so I thought then! :ROFLMAO:

amstrad-monochrome.jpg

Welcome to the modern day.

FOIS.webp

I'm willing to bet that in 5-10 years we'll look back and laugh at today's speeds. lol

I was online with a Mac in 1985 - you had to hack it and hook up a 300 baud....to get to compuserve! It wasn't really that must different than forums today - we had political forums, etc. etc.

When I got a 1200 baud modem, I thought I was in heaven.

Apple Lisa and x86, followed by a 386 and 486DX 100 overdrive were my first 4 computers.

I got the most use out of that 486DX 100 overdrive.

When most people kept buying new computers, I was stuck with the same one. So I got very good at tweaking things and pushing them to their limits. You'll laugh when I tell you I successfully got it to run Windows 95, 98SE, Windows ME, and Windows 2000. Actually got that little computer to play Quake 1 and Quake 2.

First was online using 14k modem. Shortly after there was the 14.4, followed by 28k, and 56kb modem. I remember trying different dial-up numbers; hoping to get a faster connection. For those who don't remember or don't know, switching phone numbers was like trying to switch DNS Servers. :eek::p

The day I finally was able to order cable internet, it felt almost "god like". Although I'm still waiting for fiber optic internet in my area... Doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Top Bottom