• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Site taking 40 seconds to load...

DBA

....with dial-up. :p

Sadly dial-up is still the only option for a number households. I'd blow my brains out if I still had to surf the web with it.

dail-up.png

mrGTB

Ah! those were the days. Hearing that buzzing pinging noise before finally connecting 30 seconds later. And downloading something that showed 3 days left to do and having no phone-line in the meantime. :D

bambua

Why oh why would you do this! Scary to see though, I remember back when I had my first slip/ppp account back in oh 1994 or so and wigged out when I got an 8k download speed on a file...ahh those were the days.

mrGTB

I can remember having a 14.4 dial-up modem first, what a nightmare! Then later when 56k dial-up modems came along thinking great rushing out buying one, I've now got the fastest internet speed! :coffee:

Ingenious

I used to run a bulletin board. It ran on an Amiga and had ONE single incoming phone line. This was in the days before the net. Only one person could dial in at a time :) It started life with a 2400 baud modem.

bambua

I can remember having a 14.4 dial-up modem first, what a nightmare! Then later when 56k dial-up modems came along thinking great rushing out buying one, I've now got the fastest internet speed! :coffee:
But what noone told you was all 56k modems are is 14.4k modems with compression!

The horror!!

I used to run a bulletin board. It ran on an Amiga and had ONE single incoming phone line. This was in the days before the net. Only one person could dial in at a time :) It started life with a 2400 baud modem.
I remember the first modem we had in our house, was on a Commodore 64 :) 300 baud for the win!

200px-CommodoreVICModem.jpg

mrGTB

Don't start me off on old computers owned. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

Later had Commodore 64 with Tape Deck add-on, Amiga 500 and 600, along with Atari ST (512 and 1024). The Commodore Amiga was a great machine in it's day! If you remember the O/S it used was called "Bench" I think, worked well too?

I also used to own an Amstad CPC 464 (Green Screen) version, not colour. Moved up in the world with that one, or so I thought then! :ROFLMAO:

DBA

Welcome to the modern day.

FOIS.png

I'm willing to bet that in 5-10 years we'll look back and laugh at today's speeds. lol

craigiri

I was online with a Mac in 1985 - you had to hack it and hook up a 300 baud....to get to compuserve! It wasn't really that must different than forums today - we had political forums, etc. etc.

When I got a 1200 baud modem, I thought I was in heaven.

Adam Howard

Apple Lisa and x86, followed by a 386 and 486DX 100 overdrive were my first 4 computers.

I got the most use out of that 486DX 100 overdrive.

When most people kept buying new computers, I was stuck with the same one. So I got very good at tweaking things and pushing them to their limits. You'll laugh when I tell you I successfully got it to run Windows 95, 98SE, Windows ME, and Windows 2000. Actually got that little computer to play Quake 1 and Quake 2.

First was online using 14k modem. Shortly after there was the 14.4, followed by 28k, and 56kb modem. I remember trying different dial-up numbers; hoping to get a faster connection. For those who don't remember or don't know, switching phone numbers was like trying to switch DNS Servers. :eek::p

The day I finally was able to order cable internet, it felt almost "god like". Although I'm still waiting for fiber optic internet in my area... Doubt that will happen anytime soon.