XF 1.2 Signature Permissions

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

ss-2013-03-29_16-31-02.webp

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.

zf2 will be a traumatic change, i think every add on will have to be rewritten

Yes, that's why I'm visioning that this change reserved for version 2. This change will eventually have to be made (ZF1 won't be maintained forever) and it's a big one, so reserving this for version 2 makes sense to me.

I'm not talking about the situation with the buttons. The situation mostly comes up when you paste text in for example. The alternative is to error, which could end up in a nightmarish situation where you can't see that there's bold text because it's just a space.
Sorry to bother you but please can I have an answer on this?
Question: The extended text formatting permission will be available in posts too?

Sorry, I was thinking about uploaded images - obviously we can't control linked images.

ATM we can set dimension limits for uploaded files in posts, I was wondering if the same could be applied to signature images? Or are all uploads (wherever they are posted) stored / assessed in the same way?

I don't see why you cant control linked images. I have seen forum software do this. I tried to link my img and it said it the dimensions was to large. So there is a way to implement it.

What about permissions for certain types of images? As one of our incentives for purchasing a Premium membership, we allow users to have animated images in their signature. However, we can't restrict regular members from using animated images. Having a large member base, it becomes tedious for the Administrators having to manually edit every regular member that abuses this privilege. Would it be possible to block certain image extensions, like .gif, for certain usergroups?

What about permissions for certain types of images? As one of our incentives for purchasing a Premium membership, we allow users to have animated images in their signature. However, we can't restrict regular members from using animated images. Having a large member base, it becomes tedious for the Administrators having to manually edit every regular member that abuses this privilege. Would it be possible to block certain image extensions, like .gif, for certain usergroups?

This is important, in forums where i am staff that use Xenforo animated gifs can end up being very heavy.
Blocking images is not our main objective, but yes, block GIFs by usergroup. That would would be awesome.

Sadly it looks like we can't @Sega, but i hope they manage even if by addon to make this happen, it is needed, big forums struggle to control animated signatures with images that go over 2MB.

We can't control them since they can be exernaly linked, if it was by upload...

Top Bottom