XF 1.2 Signature Permissions

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

ss-2013-03-29_16-31-02.webp

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.

Or make a secondary user group for New Comers attach it to every member at the time of registration (along with the primary Registered group) and revoke all those permissions in this secondary group that are not desired for member with less than X posts. Once X posts are reached detach the New Comer group using promotion system.
The only problem with this is that it requires the cron job to run before they are 'promoted' to the New Comer group. This can take up to an hour depending on when the cron was last run, by which time the new member may have already added a signature.

As people have said, our approach to this is the promotion system. All you have to do is set "can edit signature" to "not set" in the base group and then to "allow" in the additional group. Nothing else needs to change. Don't hold out for a permission based on X posts as the promotion system is far more flexible.
This has not been my experience :(

Currently, we run an ad-on to limit the image size in signature pictures. Specifically, images are re-sized when placed in a signature. Will that feature also be incorporated?

Already asked and answered within the first few posts: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/signature-permissions.47456/#post-509247

It's simple enough to restrict image sizes in signatures using CSS.
Code:
.message .signature .bbCodeImage {
max-height: 100px;
max-width: 200px;
overflow-x: auto !important;
overflow-y: auto !important;
}

Thanks for the response. Yeah... that's what we use now. Just wondered if the selection was going to be included in the GUI of the CP.

Oh and... Great to see you back Brogan. :)

Um, me again.:)

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out.

How is giving a user the ability to format text, embed videos, make lists, etc. (features in the editor) in a signature, to then only have it stripped out automatically by the system, without any warning, user friendly? User friendly would be not giving them the ability to do the BBCode formating at all (missing or greyed out buttons in the editor), wouldn't it? I mean, if I go through the trouble to add an embedded video as a user, only for the link to the video to change back to plain text or even be totally removed, I'd say for me that would be quite a WTF experience. Or have I misunderstood your comment Mike?:) (and I am not trying to be a PITA, I am trying to learn from the best.;))

Scott

I'm not talking about the situation with the buttons. The situation mostly comes up when you paste text in for example. The alternative is to error, which could end up in a nightmarish situation where you can't see that there's bold text because it's just a space.

Ok, does that mean the editor buttons will be grayed out or missing, if the user doesn't have the proper permissions to use the respective formatting in their signature?

And if that is the case, why not just make the editor formating permissions related to the editor and where it is used in the software in general? That would be a lot more interesting and overall much more flexible. Wouldn't it?

Scott

I believe the current editor integration is just not that flexible to dynamically grey out buttons etc.

Right, but we are talking a major point version. Maybe the editor integration could be improved too? Rumors already have it a new editor might be coming....;)

Scott

Top Bottom