XF 1.2 Signature Permissions

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

ss-2013-03-29_16-31-02.webp

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.

I would prefer to see this type of thing in other profile fields as well, especially about, which is heavily spammed... as well as other spam prevention techniques by limiting links anywhere until x criterion is met. Profile posts, et cetera. Spam is out of control, and IMHO, all these facets need to be covered at the core level, as it drives admins nuts constantly trying to protect their forums from manual spammers.

I can see some legitimate cases where this would be a hindrance, but I would like to see this feature.

Sorry, I was thinking about uploaded images - obviously we can't control linked images.

ATM we can set dimension limits for uploaded files in posts, I was wondering if the same could be applied to signature images? Or are all uploads (wherever they are posted) stored / assessed in the same way?
What would be neat is a separate control for sig images which allows admins to specify a max display width and height. Any sig images bigger than this will then be scaled down to fit. Having the controls for sig images separate from post images means that post images can then be larger than sig images.

Missing only 1 permission setting

Must have X post for signature

This will help prevent forum spam :)

example:

Come visit an uncensored community, sociallyuncensored .eu

Did I just post a link? Technically, yes.
Did I just post spam? Yes
Will spam bots do this upon registering? Yes :(

Its kind of important to limit "noobs" on some level.

(Would like to see such an option on PM's and profile post too, but that's outside of this thread topic)

(Would like to see such an option on PM's and profile post too, but that's outside of this thread topic)
I don't think it is off-topic IMHO... because overall, XF spam prevention needs to take a huge step into the 21st century and start covering a lot of holes via giving admins the options on where, and how, to limit spam prevention. People shut forums down due to trying to keep spam at bay, and that means less business for forum software developers. Spam is a huge issue that needs to be closed down at the core level. Abundance is better than excuses IMHO, when it comes to spam prevention.

This could be accomplished with usergroups. After X posts, promote them to another group that is less restrictive than the default group.
My method requires less user groups.

I think I had to depend on an add-on to fully get that to work (come to think of it). XenForo doesn't have to many X post count means Y options, because it was designed more around the point system (and likes, which also add to points).

My method requires less user groups.

I think I had to depend on an add-on to fully get that to work (come to think of it). XenForo doesn't have to many X post count means Y options, because it was designed more around the point system (and likes, which also add to points).

Its one extra group, dont need an addon and you can also limit other stuff like PMs.

Its one extra group, dont need an addon and you can also limit other stuff like PMs.
I think its a matter of personal preference. If you have a lot on your site beyond the stock install, that's a lot of permission settings to go through as you update things. I'd much rather keep it all under 1 roof.

And I disagree... I needed an add-on to do what was needed.... ie.... limit signature to X post count. Think I needed an add-on also for PM's for post count limit and profile comments limit to post count.

But again... Let's not go to far off topic. I'd still like to see a permission setting for X post for signature.

But again... Let's not go to far off topic. I'd still like to see a permission setting for X post for signature.
As people have said, our approach to this is the promotion system. All you have to do is set "can edit signature" to "not set" in the base group and then to "allow" in the additional group. Nothing else needs to change. Don't hold out for a permission based on X posts as the promotion system is far more flexible.

As people have said, our approach to this is the promotion system. All you have to do is set "can edit signature" to "not set" in the base group and then to "allow" in the additional group. Nothing else needs to change. Don't hold out for a permission based on X posts as the promotion system is far more flexible.
Or make a secondary user group for New Comers attach it to every member at the time of registration (along with the primary Registered group) and revoke all those permissions in this secondary group that are not desired for member with less than X posts. Once X posts are reached detach the New Comer group using promotion system.

XenForo is going forward at a significant rate. A big thanks to the team!

One thing that I am missing in the permissions is separate settings for internal and external links.

Many of my ranking members have signatures with helpful links to information on my site, to help new users.
These internal links are very different from external links that users post to spam, their blogs, competing websites, or other unwanted content.

Please consider to add a setting to allow internal links, but not external links.

Top Bottom