Show Similar Threads On Thread Creation [Paid] [Deleted]

Sorry, the similar threads are showing now, may be because of the caches. y the way, it is fine for me as i don't need this option to be set :D

It seems since updating to 1.1.1, that the Similar Threads, at the bottom of the thread, only show the same thread. Not any actual similar threads.

Working fine on my installation, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Could you please provide some more info about the errors?

I wish I could but theres nothing in logs related to this issue. Cache rebuild stops here:
MediaPortal-_Titan_000387.webp

for the "create thread" issues theres not much more, when you click, the buttons are greyed out for a few seconds but nothing is posted. Nothing in logs too.
MediaPortal-_Titan_000388.webp

it's a XF 1.1.5 with elasticsearch, PHP 5.3.24-1

I wish I could but theres nothing in logs related to this issue. Cache rebuild stops here:
View attachment 50912

for the "create thread" issues theres not much more, when you click, the buttons are greyed out for a few seconds but nothing is posted. Nothing in logs too.
View attachment 50911

If you disable the add-on and try to rebuild thread information, does it work?

Already purchased, but dont get windows with Similar Threads on XF 1.1.5

works now, space must be used... why this ?

p.s. also dont work with special characters like .-_*

Last edited:
I've fixed the bug that was introduced in version 1.1.1 which caused similar threads at the bottom of threads to not show correctly after rebuilding the cache.

View attachment 50912

View attachment 50911

As Moshe1010 suggested, please try to disable other add-ons, since this could be caused by an interference with another add-on. I can't reproduce these errors myself.

Already purchased, but dont get windows with Similar Threads on XF 1.1.5

works now, space must be used... why this ?

p.s. also dont work with special characters like .-_*
Currently, similar threads are fetched when you enter a space.

I'm could add an option that allows you to fetch similar thread after each character entered, but this would mean sending potentially dozens of requests to the server each time a new thread is created. Is this something you want?

As for special characters, and search accuracy in general - this is currently limited by the way XenForo's search works, and I'm gonna look into improvements for the next version.

As Moshe1010 suggested, please try to disable other add-ons, since this could be caused by an interference with another add-on. I can't reproduce these errors myself.

sonnb - Stop Spam Here
seems to cause an issue with your addon, once deactivated the cache is rebuild again.

Edit: ok, now it's rebuild but neither the suggestion box nor the similar thread box show up anywhere anymore. All other plugins are deactivated. Same in custom as in default skin with your latest update.

A separate add-on just to show similar threads at the bottom of threads would be great. If not a switch to turn off similar threads on creation.

Thanks.

No problem, added it as an option.

Nice work.

At the moment, similar threads doesn't allow listing the "most relevant threads" without using Elastic Search (I don't have this). Is it possible to use a fulltext search on the title field to sort by relevance instead?

When you enter first a space, you get :

Code:
ErrorException: Undefined variable: similarThreads - library/ShowSimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php:27
Généré par: Arkshine, Il y a 1 minute
Trace de la pile
#0 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/ShowSimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php(27): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined varia...', '/srv/d_cs-amx/w...', 27, Array)
#1 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(335): ShowSimilarThreads_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionSimilarThreads()
#2 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#3 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}
Etat de la requête
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(63) "http://cs-amx.fr/forums/annonces-informations.9/similar-threads"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/forums/annonces-informations_9/similar-threads"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(5) {
    ["query"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(45) "/forums/annonces-informations.9/create-thread"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

About :
I'm could add an option that allows you to fetch similar thread after each character entered, but this would mean sending potentially dozens of requests to the server each time a new thread is created. Is this something you want?

I'm not sure each characters is a good idea, but adding extra check would be welcomed since it's possible to not enter spaces at all even though it would not happen that often. Maybe each x characters or after x seconds, not sure. Something worth to think for sure.

Last edited:
Has this been tested on a huge forum? I am interested in how well it would perform.
maybe define 'huge' but we use it on http://forum.team-mediaportal.com and theres no measurable impact on server load (Enhanced Search ofc)

I'm not sure each characters is a good idea, but adding extra check would be welcomed since it's possible to not enter spaces at all even though it would not happen that often. Maybe each x characters or after x seconds, not sure. Something worth to think for sure.
An additional check when cursor moves from title to description would be fine (same way '[Tinhte] Similar Thread Check Using Google' version works)

Another suggestion would be to allow more general searches, atm it's pretty strict to the title even if there are related threads. Even for pretty generic terms it just throw back one or two results.
Maybe an additional search-query for capitalized terms if the first one can't fill in the 5 threads limit( optional for none-enhanced searches maybe)?

Nice work.

At the moment, similar threads doesn't allow listing the "most relevant threads" without using Elastic Search (I don't have this). Is it possible to use a fulltext search on the title field to sort by relevance instead?
As I've said, I'm going to look into improving the quality and accuracy of the results, beyond what can currently be achieved using XenForo's search.

Has this been tested on a huge forum? I am interested in how well it would perform.
I haven't personally (so no larger forums than @high1976 's, at least to my knowledge), however this shouldn't have a noticeable impact on performance, as the similar threads are cached.

Showing similar threads at the bottom of each thread obviously adds 1 query to each thread, however this shouldn't be significant.

As for showing similar threads on thread creation, this certainly won't have any impact on performance.

When you enter first a space, you get :

Code:
ErrorException: Undefined variable: similarThreads - library/ShowSimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php:27
Généré par: Arkshine, Il y a 1 minute
Trace de la pile
#0 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/ShowSimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php(27): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined varia...', '/srv/d_cs-amx/w...', 27, Array)
#1 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(335): ShowSimilarThreads_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionSimilarThreads()
#2 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#3 /srv/d_cs-amx/www/cs-amx.fr/htdocs/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}
Etat de la requête
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(63) "http://cs-amx.fr/forums/annonces-informations.9/similar-threads"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/forums/annonces-informations_9/similar-threads"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(5) {
    ["query"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(45) "/forums/annonces-informations.9/create-thread"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

About :

Thanks, fixed for the next version.
An additional check when cursor moves from title to description would be fine (same way '[Tinhte] Similar Thread Check Using Google' version works)

Another suggestion would be to allow more general searches, atm it's pretty strict to the title even if there are related threads. Even for pretty generic terms it just throw back one or two results.
Maybe an additional search-query for capitalized terms if the first one can't fill in the 5 threads limit( optional for none-enhanced searches maybe)?
Added an additional check when the cursor moves from the title field in the next version.

As for the quality of the results, yeah, I'm going to look into improving this in the near future, as I've said before.

I've fixed the bug that was introduced in version 1.1.1 which caused similar threads at the bottom of threads to not show correctly after rebuilding the cache.

Currently, similar threads are fetched when you enter a space.

As for special characters, and search accuracy in general - this is currently limited by the way XenForo's search works, and I'm gonna look into improvements for the next version.

not realy needed

important feature

Top Bottom