Should I get XF? Why?

Razasharp

I am doing one last forum (famous last words!) and was going to get another vB license and simply use one of my older 3.8 styles, as I really don't have much time to port over or do a new design or learn another (php) forum software (I'm a Ruby guy these days! In fact the new forum is going to be about Ruby!).

But that Azh! She keeps tempting me! (I like the new like system on adminextra.com) So for all of you who (and especially those who have ported over from vB) what do you like about it and why should anyone get XF over the other forum apps?

I still have to maintain a VB site because it has a big big mod which will take ages to do for XF. So I can compare the two for you.

In XF admin I can FIND things! It's tidy and organised.
I can open templates, phrases, colour charts to make any changes I want quickly and easily - no drilling down weird hierarchies. Designing or small changes really doesn't take that long. You don't have to depend on theme designers, though there are nice ones around if you prefer that.
The forums are quick, easy to use and downright seductive! Users are powerfully drawn in and all the admins say participation goes UP sharply.
The range of addons is very good and getting even better every week. It reminds me of Vbulletin years ago when Kier and Mike were in charge there. That has a human element of attitude by the core team, and a coding element of making it easy to bolt on stuff.
Support is incredibly fast - measure in minutes not hours! Patient, clear, and often involves extra help beyond the minimum - I've never had to get as far as a supprt ticket because the community support and Brogan as mod is so good!

There are a few things I'd like added - we all say that. But VB admins say it too. The difference is I feel confident looking at the XF track so far, that within a year we will have all the treasures we dream of. The development community is that good. Elsewhere I feel the situation will be increasingly stale and unhelpful.

I'm no fan personality. I do criticise fiercely where appropriate - on here as well as anywhere else.
But this high standard crotchety admin would unreservedly recommend XF.

Glad to see another member on XenForo, welcome Razasharp.

I used to ask question just like you, and I wrote a topic regarding what all the hype about XenForo actually is. If you have the time, have a read through my topic entitled So what's all the hype about? and you will have an answer for any possible question you could ask. :)

The first thing you should've noticed upon visiting XenForo is the welcoming atmosphere, intelligent and reliable support and a sense of the community actually wanting you here; treating you as a friend on a more personal level, not just a customer.

Thanks all. The more I see of XF the more I like it - although there are a few things I'm not keen on, but hopefully I can find work arounds and make do without the features it doesn't have that I like (number of people viewing forums, thread icons, subforums shown on forumdisplay etc).

I might even have a stab at making some mods myself - lol but I'm not holding my breath as PHP isn't my thing at all!

Kyrgyz - will PM you re your vB license!

There will always be a fix or a modification made to suit a lot of things not yet available for XenForo, but what you have to remember is that this forum software is still young and hasn't been around anywhere near as long as other forum software. Making the add-ons yourself will definitely help out not just yourself, but many others in the community looking for the same thing.

The things you have mentioned that aren't found at XenForo yet are, in my opinion, not a high priority and I'm sure that if requested, the developers will take a look at it and see whether it's worth implementing or not.

Hey Turt, I appreciate the devs can't keep everyone happy, but at least it looks like XF is easily modifiable and extendible - it would be good if they get someone to write up a few guides, getting people up to scratch :)

It definitely is. My experience with XenForo has only just begun as well, but I've used a wide variety of forum software in my online years and so far this one has everything I need, plus more that I've noticed and have been told about. The demo that the developers provide is an important feature giving likely customers a way of seeing what the software is all about and how it works from an administrative point of view. It is modifiable and extendible in a variety of ways which you will see upon visiting different sites using the XenForo software. Many people have managed to mold it into different yet smart and important ways to meet what they are looking for and require so it's really just a matter of practice makes perfect.

I'm sure there are a few guides here and there relating to creating add-ons if that is what you are talking about? Or do you want guides on something else that I've missed (I've just woken up). :unsure:

I find XF very easy and intuitive to use with a great community here.

vb4 is not fit for purpose yet and vb3 is basically end of life and is not a product I would wish to start a new site on at this time.

I like how IPB is developing but still feels like I'm writing with my off-hand when using it sometimes. Nothing bad, just meh.

It definitely is. My experience with XenForo has only just begun as well, but I've used a wide variety of forum software in my online years and so far this one has everything I need, plus more that I've noticed and have been told about. The demo that the developers provide is an important feature giving likely customers a way of seeing what the software is all about and how it works from an administrative point of view. It is modifiable and extendible in a variety of ways which you will see upon visiting different sites using the XenForo software. Many people have managed to mold it into different yet smart and important ways to meet what they are looking for and require so it's really just a matter of practice makes perfect.

I'm sure there are a few guides here and there relating to creating add-ons if that is what you are talking about? Or do you want guides on something else that I've missed (I've just woken up). :unsure:

Yes I was referring to creating add-ons :) A few official guides would be cool imo.

Re XF, I am sure it is a well developed product, I know Kier and Mike from vB where I was an active member, but decided to stop using forums to power my sites as my sites were always intended to be more than just forums (been learning Ruby & Rails this last year). However... I am back here because I want to start a new site that is going to be *just* a forum, lol. Funny how things pan out sometimes!

I find XF very easy and intuitive to use with a great community here.

vb4 is not fit for purpose yet and vb3 is basically end of life and is not a product I would wish to start a new site on at this time.

I like how IPB is developing but still feels like I'm writing with my off-hand when using it sometimes. Nothing bad, just meh.

Hey ROS it's good to see you here :)

Agree with you about vB4 - it's pretty pants, I just don't feel confident with it. vB3 is still a good fit for forums, but like you said it's a dead end product. Wonder what vB5 will be like? I doubt it will be anything special!

I like Matt and a few others from IPB, but IPB seems out of kilter with things a little - not sure if that's because one of the 'managers' locks down threads if it contains criticisms he doesn't like to hear or what, also I think things are set up way too much in their favour - that doesn't instil confidence in customers imo.

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't mind going ahead to make some add-ons of my own if there was some documentation around in order to get one started at least.

Ha ha, I've been on the same boat with my own projects, both websites and forums. I've had my fair share of 'em and after many years of attempting to create, develop and maintain my own hosting services, I see that there are already too many out there that I just cannot compete with. Not at this stage anyway, maybe in the future? You never know...

And it's a good thing to see that being an administrator has allowed you to pick up some extra skills. Everything I know in regards to coding, graphic design, pretty much anything to do with administrating and maintaining my own websites, blogs and forums has come through my projects; no external sources, degrees or certificates (you can see that as a good or bad thing I guess). ;)

In regards to the IPB part of your post; I am currently a customer of IP.Board and have been using it for a couple of years, even now whilst waiting a little while to purchase a XenForo license (due to financial reasons). I have no problem with their service and I've always managed to get support fast, not to mention their forum software is a lot better then most out there (my opinion). However after looking at XenForo and seeing what it does, what it has and how it performs, well, I haven't seen anything that comes close to beating it. That is the main reason why I'm switching over, but I haven't got any plans on selling my IP.Board license just yet. I can have the best of both worlds, can't I? :sneaky:

I wonder if it would work for a developer or a couple of developers write a first steps manual and SELL it?

Ha ha, after looking at the link provided by Brogan I can breath easier now. I'm sure you mentioned it for the best of intentions though Morgain! :p

And I forgot about that forum; silly me...

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't mind going ahead to make some add-ons of my own if there was some documentation around in order to get one started at least.

Ha ha, I've been on the same boat with my own projects, both websites and forums. I've had my fair share of 'em and after many years of attempting to create, develop and maintain my own hosting services, I see that there are already too many out there that I just cannot compete with. Not at this stage anyway, maybe in the future? You never know...

And it's a good thing to see that being an administrator has allowed you to pick up some extra skills. Everything I know in regards to coding, graphic design, pretty much anything to do with administrating and maintaining my own websites, blogs and forums has come through my projects; no external sources, degrees or certificates (you can see that as a good or bad thing I guess). ;)

In regards to the IPB part of your post; I am currently a customer of IP.Board and have been using it for a couple of years, even now whilst waiting a little while to purchase a XenForo license (due to financial reasons). I have no problem with their service and I've always managed to get support fast, not to mention their forum software is a lot better then most out there (my opinion). However after looking at XenForo and seeing what it does, what it has and how it performs, well, I haven't seen anything that comes close to beating it. That is the main reason why I'm switching over, but I haven't got any plans on selling my IP.Board license just yet. I can have the best of both worlds, can't I? :sneaky:

Yes IPB is pretty good, for me for this project it is too much - I just want a forum. BTW I am selling an IPB license if you want to pick up another ;)

I wonder if it would work for a developer or a couple of developers write a first steps manual and SELL it?

A really good guide has been posted in this thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-zero-to-hero-for-coders.25748/#post-311824 Just the sort of thing we need :)

Hi Brogan, it would be really cool if someone could put together a reading list that covers things from the basics and leads up to the more complicated stuff. Structured and well paced learning really does make a difference in how we pick things up - there's nothing worse than reading something and feeling deflated because you don't understand it. If I end up using XF I'll try to create such a list.

Three words: "cuz its awesome!!!" :p

More I see it the more I like it :D

It's nice to see one of the suggestions I made over the road make an appearance here - a meaningful friends list (where you can follow people then get a feed of all their activity). At least IB can't say XF nicked that from them! lol

Top Bottom