Should I change my current Hosting requirements or even a change of host?

It has been a steep learning curve, this server admin thing. But so far, I have created a cloud server with Hetzner, installed DirectAdmin and now I am looking at installing LEMP.

DirectAdmin's control panel says I am already being subjected to brute force attacks. Looks like I will have to learn some server hardening.
Isnt it easier to first offload your attachments and media to cloudflare and reduce your storage needs and see if you can just downgrade your plan at known host first?

Looks like you are enjoying learning about that, I also worked with a DirectAdmin license first. Got that server lifetime license some time ago for around 80 USD, a steal.

Next step for you would be to learn the linux command line. There are lots of tutorials for that.

I'm going to get a CPX11 cloud server from Hetzner in the US data center, so I can spin it up and practice transferring another one of my sites across to it. It's only like $6pm for 2 vCPU 2gb ram on shared hosting. Then, once I get the hang of it, I can reconfigure it to a Dedicated CPU in the cloud.

I suppose I will need to decide what operating system to use, which is perhaps compatible with DirectAdmin. I am assuming that DA is available for Hetzners cloud computing. All a learning curve for me. Not sure which OS to use yet

I created and deleted a few Hetzner instances before committing and moving websites. Used an extra domain to host basic XF and WP installations in order to blow things up and take notes along the way.

Nothing wrong with developing a low-cost model.

For the folks being exposed to a large number of guest users, from amazon for example, there are blocklists that one can subscribe to and associate to your server's firewall config. Hetzner (and other cloud hosts) include good LAN-based firewall features so that you can open the necessary ports, and then install a firewall on your server for the advanced stuff to reduce server load.

Top Bottom