Should I change my current Hosting requirements or even a change of host?

It (randomly) prevented popups from working - including registration and login.

That's not cool, but admittedly I worked with Litespeed a couple years ago on my config after a conflict with a previous addon I'm no longer using. I'm not having that problem, but appreciate the insight.

It (randomly) prevented popups from working - including registration and login.

LiteSpeed WordPress plugin has a nice GUI for listing query strings and URIs that are excluded from caching, and that helps make things work.
Haven't tested the XenForo addon so can't say if any troubleshooting is easy or possible.

Haven't tested the XenForo addon so can't say if any troubleshooting is easy or possible.
It is nothing like the Wordpress plugin sadly :(

Troubleshooting was not easy as it is with the WP plugin, it doesn't even remove the .htaccess code when disabling so you can disable the addon, but still have issues due to the .htaccess without realising it is still there.

Troubleshooting was not easy as it is with the WP plugin, it doesn't even remove the .htaccess code when disabling so you can disable the addon, but still have issues due to the .htaccess without realising it is still there.

Sad to hear that.
Which caching solution would you recommend (for an Apache + LiteSpeed server)?

I'm using the Litespeed addon, with no known problems. It just works :)

Hmm.
Could this be down to the forum, or hosting server configuration (PHP version, LiteSpeed server install/setup etc.)?

I've assumed not because Litespeed have looked into it, acknowledged the issue and are working on a fix.

Let me guess: Soon™ ? :)

If you get any info about the fix, please post an update.

My forum is small, no need for caching, but if it continues growing, I'll probably need to use some caching solution.

Last edited:
Let me guess: Soon™ ? :)

If you get any info about the fix, please post an update.

My forum is small, no need for caching, but if it continues growing, I'll probably need to use some caching solution.
I believe the Litespeed plugin for XF is being worked on the developers own time, and not necessarily as part of their role at LiteSpeed.

I changed all power states of all CPUS to full max all the time on startup. Increases everything on the server like hell, maybe 40-100% faster everything. That server will run hot like hell 24/7 but you rent it.

You have to lookup how to do that. The weird part - for me - was that whenever you use a CPU, it will usually be in some kind of lower power saving state so it is slow. And you pay for speed. I did that more than a decade ago.

Now I run my forum on a free offering. Most cloud solutions have free plans which are enough for most forums. Takes a bit to find the right solution for you, and - this is for sure - the initial setup is a nightmare with combining all the free services together so your free box can even have in- and outgoing access to the internet.

I recommend Hetzner 100% for its speed. And you can even get a technician work on the server personally for like 25€ / 15 minutes which is incredible affordable if you think about what that means in todays market.

Now I run my forum on a free offering. Most cloud solutions have free plans which are enough for most forums. Takes a bit to find the right solution for you, and - this is for sure - the initial setup is a nightmare with combining all the free services together so your free box can even have in- and outgoing access to the internet.
The opposite of that would be the xenforo cloud, I would actually recommend that if it is in your budget. Get that server stuff out of your way and focus on the community & income opportunities.

My hosting is due for renewal and I'm looking at my options. Currently I am with KnownHost, who have been excellent on customer support, although I haven't needed much of it in recent times.

My package is MVPS-3:
  • 4 CPU (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz)
  • 150gb storage
  • 6gb ram
  • LiteSpeed Webserber Enterprise
  • LiteMage (Magento)
  • Softaculous
  • cPanel Pro 30 Acct

This is costing me about $1,300 per year.

My forum is here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/

It is no where as busy as it used to be, with the daily visitors having come down a lot.

I've got a couple of questions about my setup:

1. Do I really need to pay for litespeed since my user count has dropped significantly? It must be costing me something like $300 per year for the privalege.

2. Should I switch to DirectAdmin, since the cpanel fees are costing about $300 per year? If my host does the switch, do I lose settings, like email configs etc?

3. Should I be looking at a different KnownHost package instead or even another Hosting provider?

Thanks.
$30 a month vps is enough. Elasticsearch, redis, page/guest caching, dozens of addons etc. 8gb ram, nvme drives and two 3.5ghz cores. 499GB of video attachments, unlimited bandwidth. No complaints. Don't waste your money on building the equivalent of a $5000 gaming PC so you can play cyberpunk with ray tracing. Xenforo isn't cyberpunk. It will run well on a well configured potato. Use an outside mail provider. Compiling and maintaining your own secure mail server for a forum is an unnecessary time vampire and security hazard. SES costs a couple dollars a month.

IMG_20240201_163053.webp

Last edited:
If it was me (but its not :LOL:)

I would (depending on your traffic and online numbers)

Use either a decent dedicated cloud VPS at Hetzner 16 Euros a month plus backups and snap shots - CPX31 for example

Or a dedicated server from them 35 Euros a month on there server auction page

Run this on a @eva Centmin Mod install on Alma (or Rocky) 8 and dump CPanel and LiteSpeed (and dont bother with direct admin either)

Support over at CMM is rock solid from Eva2000

Run the mail through MXRoutes mail system (BF Deal from memory $75 for 3 years)

You wont go wrong and it will be a far superior set up and a lot cheaper and all under your control (especially if you also do offsite backups)
I would suggest the same, except go the CloudPanel route, recently moved myself/clients to Hetzner cloud vps on cloudpanel / nginx and in all honestly, its be solid and cut the costs a lot, I too used to use litespeed, not noticed any difference tbh.

Top Bottom