Shopping Cart Apps

:p you should think about releasing it as a paid add-on eventually, as its one of the most requested things for vBulletin.

+1 to this idea .... and yes I'm going to bring out the heavy gear to back up the request

shrek-puss-in-boots.webp

If the folks over at osCommerce would just get their collective smeg together and release a next generation shopping cart software, we could all go home. ;)

Ok, XenForo license, coffee mug, t-shirt, and what else are you going to have for sale? How about a keychain? Will there be downloadable content for people buying on the first day? ;)

If the folks over at osCommerce would just get their collective smeg together and release a next generation shopping cart software, we could all go home. ;)

Ok, XenForo license, coffee mug, t-shirt, and what else are you going to have for sale? How about a keychain? Will there be downloadable content for people buying on the first day? ;)
I actually meant for XenForo :p.

:p you should think about releasing it as a paid add-on eventually, as its one of the most requested things for vBulletin.

I had the same thoughts... for a future project of mine I could definitely use such a system, because I need to monetize that platform as much a possible.

A bit off-topic but anyone who is looking for a decent next gen shopping cart script, you should probably check out Magento, it seems to be a good alternative to osCommerce. It's just not that well known yet, and of course has a learning curve of its own.

A bit off-topic but anyone who is looking for a decent next gen shopping cart script, you should probably check out Magento, it seems to be a good alternative to osCommerce. It's just not that well known yet, and of course has a learning curve of its own.

Another very good cart system though no longer free (Well older version is but not newer) is CubeCart...

Better then any other solutions currently :p.
Nonsense statement.

I bet you that there are 50 scripts out there, at least, that are great shopping cart solutions, and without knowing what they put together I am putting my money on a script that is mature and well known, and well tested. Over something new that is potentially buggy and probably won't suit any of my personal situations.

I dislike it quite a bit when people shout in enthusiasm without thinking twice. And sorry to sound negative now.

I bet you that there are 50 scripts out there, at least, that are great shopping cart solutions, and without knowing what they put together I am putting my money on a script that is mature and well known, and well tested. Over something new that is potentially buggy and probably won't suit any of my personal situations.
Can you name one?

The free, open source PHP Shopping Cart software market is a wasteland of broken dreams and half-efforts. osCommerce, which is feature-rich but a development and maintenance nightmare (no templates, no language support, hundreds of PHP files with just a few lines of code), lacking many basic style and usability features, but delivering advanced handling of shipping, worldwide tax laws, etc., has been endlessly forked by people who thought they could build a better mousetrap. Even Wayne Luke at one time took a shot at improving osCommerce, before throwing in the towel for a variety of understandable reasons.

osCommerce has been trying to get 3.0 out the door since 2005. Meanwhile most sites are running some b@stardized build of 2.2 Release Candidate 2a (yes, the actual version number of the main 'supported' product since January 2008 has been osCommerce 2.2RC2a). osCommerce 3.0 alpha 3 was released Sept 1, 2006. osCommerce 3.0 alpha 5 was released in March 15th, 2009 and there has been no official release of any kind since. Out of desparation to fix some PHP 5.3 issues in the 2.2 series, osCommerce 2.3 was announced to be released within the week (this announcement was at the end of August).

When I started looking at osCommerce in 2007, I asked them if they would release a stable version, to which they said just use the nightly builds. I said but you have no template system, so every night my changes will be lost, to which they responded that I should "learn CVS" and commit my own changes in the tree. ROFL

osCommerce development progress is a farce.

Can you name one?

The free, open source PHP Shopping Cart software market is a wasteland of broken dreams and half-efforts. osCommerce, which is feature-rich but a development and maintenance nightmare (no templates, no language support, hundreds of PHP files with just a few lines of code), lacking many basic style and usability features, but delivering advanced handling of shipping, worldwide tax laws, etc., has been endlessly forked by people who thought they could build a better mousetrap. Even Wayne Luke at one time took a shot at improving osCommerce, before throwing in the towel for a variety of understandable reasons.

osCommerce has been trying to get 3.0 out the door since 2005. Meanwhile most sites are running some b@stardized build of 2.2 Release Candidate 2a (yes, the actual version number of the main 'supported' product since January 2008 has been osCommerce 2.2RC2a). osCommerce 3.0 alpha 3 was released Sept 1, 2006. osCommerce 3.0 alpha 5 was released in March 15th, 2009 and there has been no official release of any kind since. Out of desparation to fix some PHP 5.3 issues in the 2.2 series, osCommerce 2.3 was announced to be released within the week (this announcement was at the end of August).

When I started looking at osCommerce in 2007, I asked them if they would release a stable version, to which they said just use the nightly builds. I said but you have no template system, so every night my changes will be lost, to which they responded that I should "learn CVS" and commit my own changes in the tree. ROFL

osCommerce development progress is a farce.

The folks who are really serious about it are now over at http://www.magentocommerce.com/

The ONLY two out that do what I need right now are XCart and ZenCart, XCart is too expensive and it took paid modifications and a LOT of tweaking to get ZenCart where I finally have it. 

Personally a cart system has got to be the most needed add-on I would need for when I get around to creating my community. I'd definitely like to see an in-house e-commerce solution from the developers in the future. Remembering, a paid solution such as xenforo will be purchased by many customers who themselves will sell goods whether it's styles, graphics, modifications/scripts so something tightly integrated would be an asset imo.

Edit: Perhaps to the threadstarter to re-title your thread Xenforo Cart add-on and possibly request it to be moved to xenforo discussions causing less confusion that this is directed to a xenforo cart system rather than a third party system/solution.

I'm glad that some good open-source shopping carts have finally entered the market.

ZenCart's UI and terminology made absolutely no sense. And XCart, for the price, lacks major features. I use XCart in my support job and it's not bad but being unable to merge accounts or change a user's login are major limitations.

What I need is one that handles a number of virtual downloads (I sometimes have as many as 12 zip files per product) and can handle free products as well. And I don't have the coding skills OR money to to make my own. That currently leaves me with my current options. 

Top Bottom