XF 2.2 Setting Up a Private Forum group Permission

DigNap15

Hello
I am having trouble setting up a new Forum Node that is Private and viewable and postable to only one Group (plus Admin of course)
I have done this once before, but I cannot do it now. It is not very easy or intuitve

I have set up a new Forum Node
And a New user Group

The manual says
1. Select The "Private Node" Opton
2 Allow the "View Node" permission for the desired user Groups (s)

But where exactly do I go to make the fourm Private, but open to the Group

Thanks for that Brogan
I saw that, I have tried about ten times
it is not very inutuitve
(I have done it once before for another Group, but I cannot repeat it)

Where is the "Pirvate Node" option
and how do I allow the "View Node" permission

Are there any screen shots?
Or shall I post one from my forum?

I finally did it after 1 hour!
I think the key thing is that you have to Save the View Node Permission, and then click Save again on the Groups list, then you will see the system rebuilding the permissions!
i think the instructions need to be updated to reflect this.
Thanks again Brogan

My second private forum is now up and running.
In a few weeks I will want to make one or both of them visible on the forum.
So that all members will be able to see them, and even look at the threads, but not be able to psot.
They will need to be invited to join the Groups.

I hope I will be able to set this up easily

In that case don't have them set as private nodes.

Just revoke the post permission for the Registered user group and allow it for the groups/members you want to be able to post.

I am having a similar problem.
I have a node named "Let's Talk" which I have saved as Private.
See screen shot
1610303120349.webp
I have an user group named "Let's Talk Members" that I want to give access to this node. However when I attempt to change the "Let's Talk Members" group general permissions to YES,

1610303685782.webp
I receive this message :
1610303838013.webp
What am I doing wrong?

In that case don't have them set as private nodes.

Just revoke the post permission for the Registered user group and allow it for the groups/members you want to be able to post.
Hi Brogan
I did it your way and it works really well
But I still find setting Groups and Forum(thread) permissions very problematic, its a very confusing area, and you have to be very precise and see the message "Rebuilding User Permissions" or nothing works

Thanks Brogan,
Here is what the console returns. I have Xenforo set up in a subdomain for testing purposes before going live (migrating from phpbb). I wonder if that is causing this problem?

1610307130886.webp

Brogan,
Thank you for your help. We got the 406 Error fixed. You are correct , the problem was mod_sec related. It took a few tries, but our host finally got it fixed.

I know nothing about Apache mod_security, but I thought it might be helpful to others to post the fix that our host implemented:

"We have now whitelisted one rule ie 950906 that was causing an issue. Please check and confirm it from your end. We also checked and could see that there is no other mod_security hit other than 950906 and 950904. If the problem still persists then please provide us the logs from the Xenforo support to check where exactly mod_security is causing conflict so that we can assist you further."

Another question which comes up often is, "How can I create a news or announcement forum, in which only staff members can create threads and post replies?".

Again, it is achieved via node specific permissions.

1. Revoke the 'Post new thread' permission for the Registered user group.
2. Allow the 'Post new thread' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).
3. Revoke the 'Post replies' permission for the Registered user group.
4. Allow the 'Post replies' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).

If you wish to allow registered members to post replies to staff created threads, then omit steps 3 and 4.
-------------------
Referring to the FAQ above, how can I make an Announcement forum as described given this arrangement?
  • Registered users group “Post new thread” is set to YES, so that
  • Registered users first post must be approved by a moderator, then
  • Registered User is promoted to the Verified users group ("Post new thread" is set to NO)
The “YES” is overriding, so verified users would be able to post on the Announcement forum. What do I need to do to prevent the Verified users from posting on the announcement forum (and still be able to post on other forums)?

Disregard my post above. I finally solved my own problem. Node specific permissions control what each user group can do (or not do) within a specific node. I was missing that point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom