XF 2.2 New member posted in a private forum

Nordgard

A brand new member on my forum postet her first tread in a private (hidden forum)
And I don't understand how that could happen?

I have to manually give access to that forum

I have now registered with a new account, to see for my self
But nothing is wrong, and everything looks like it should

So what happened with my brand new member, any ideas?

The first step is to check the user change log in the admincp to see how the user was originally provisioned. Confirm that mistakes weren't made in that step and then check the various permissions (including guest permissions before the is validated if email confirmation is required, etc.)

Is the forum just hidden (if you know the URL, can you view it?) or is it locked behind usergroup viewing/posting permissions?

It can be easy to overlook both the individual node settings (and their own permissions) vs. the usergroup permissions.

It sounds like you've simply set the forum to Private, ie doesn't show on the home page forum list. In that case, anyone who knows the URL for it can view and post in it. Question is, how did she get the URL? Someone must have leaked it to her.

You also need to restrict that private forum with permissions - set the View permission to No for Registered users. Then, create a custom user group that sets the View permission to Yes for this forum and add it for users who should have it. This will now work properly.

Thanx!

I have tested, and you can't even view the forum (on a link)
You must have explicitly granted permissions to access it

Not any usegroup can see it.
I set permissions to every users who have access, and the new user is not on that list

Reactions: FTL
Thanx!

I have tested, and you can't even view the forum (on a link)
You must have explicitly granted permissions to access it

Not any usegroup can see it.
I set permissions to every users who have access, and the new user is not on that list
You're welcome. :)

I'll bet that new user is now feeling quite frustrated... Will you be messaging them explaining the situation, just as a courtesy?

Top Bottom