1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 server install directory

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by SnoSheriff, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

What is the best place to install XF on the server? Should I install it in the root on the server or should I create a directory called something like 'community'. If I install XF in directory called 'community' then how do I re-direct site visitors from www.mydomain.com to the XF home page? Thank you.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Most people do the root.

3. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

Sigh, I already have software in the root. I'm migrating off that software so putting in the root might be a bit complicated o_O

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Which software do you have in the root?
    You can always install XenForo in a directory, do the import, then archive what is in the root and move XenForo to the root.

5. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

Ok, I'm finally migrated to XF. Phew. I have DragonflyCMS in the root directory. I'd like to keep it around for a while until I get few items resolved... In the meantime how do I route my traffic from mydomain.com to mydomain.com/forums ?

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can create a .htaccess in the root with content like:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/$
    RewriteRule (.*) /forums/ [R=301]

7. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

Server Ops put something very similar in the .htaccess Many thanks!