• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 Secret board/user upgrade issue

Rho Delta

I created a board I only want donors to be able to see, you can donate through the user upgrade page to become a sustaining member (a new usergroup)... I thought I configured this correct but the users cant see the hidden forum. I revoked permission (revoke, not never) for all other usergroups except admins.

Here is the sustaining member permissions for that node:

I have Private Node selected.

The upgrade page:

Martok

Don't make the node private. Revoke the viewing permissions on the Registered group.
Out of interest, why can't you have it as a Private Node? I always thought private nodes were the best way to restrict forums to certain usergroups.

Jeremy

No. Secondary user groups are the intended usage of groups within XenForo. What are your permissions for the forum for the Registered user group?

Martok

Ah. So manually adding them to a secondary usergroup that has view permissions to a private node counts as explicitly granting them permissions whereas doing so through a user upgrade doesn't count as explicitly granting them permissions.

So what about usergroup promotions? Would these not be classed as explicitly granting permissions either?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
All additional user groups are secondary, that is how the system works.

Use the Permissions Analyzer to determine why the node isn't visible.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Private node is fine. It just sets a revoke on every user group -- it's similar to just revoking view on registered, but obviously it applies to guests as well (and applies if you don't use registered as primary for everyone).

I would recommend using the permissions analysis feature. It sounds like you have a "Never" somewhere.

Rho Delta

Private node is fine. It just sets a revoke on every user group -- it's similar to just revoking view on registered, but obviously it applies to guests as well (and applies if you don't use registered as primary for everyone).

I would recommend using the permissions analysis feature. It sounds like you have a "Never" somewhere.

Here are the permissions for one of the users in question.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
They can't see the "Secret Boards" forum, which is presumably above this forum. If you can't see a parent forum, you can never see a child.