Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

Apple has said iOS web push isn't coming until 2023.

iOS xx.2 is always before the end of the year. xx.3 is usually before the end of the year (iOS 15 was an exception where it was in January).

I'd bet money we aren't going to see it in 16.3 either. My random guess is 16.5... iOS xx.5 typically is mid-spring, which would fit within Apple's "sometime in 2023" timeline, but still before Apple's next WWDC.
don't forget that it will only work with iPhone 15 Pro and Max versions since it's a Pro/Max feature...

Anyone figure out how to have the push notification take you to your current Safari window instead of a new window, when you click the alert?

don't forget that it will only work with iPhone 15 Pro and Max versions since it's a Pro/Max feature...
Huh? Push notifications do not require hardware. iOS 16 supports any device made introduced in 2017 and later, so an iPhone 8 made more than half a decade ago will get it.

Anyone figure out how to have the push notification take you to your current Safari window instead of a new window, when you click the alert?
Would you really want it to? Even if your current tab was in the same domain that the push was coming from, would you really want to effectively close out the window you were working in?

Would you really want it to? Even if your current tab was in the same domain that the push was coming from, would you really want to effectively close out the window you were working in?
I wouldn't want the alert to override an existing tab of the same domain. I would just want the alert to take me to a new tab in my open Safari window as opposed to opening a second Safari window for the alert website.

I wouldn't want the alert to override an existing tab of the same domain. I would just want the alert to take me to a new tab in my open Safari window as opposed to opening a second Safari window for the alert website.
Ya, that makes more sense. :)

That's how Chrome works (opens the alert in a new tab, within same window you have open). I know that doesn't help with Safari, but maybe Apple will adopt the same way other browsers work as their push implementation matures. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ya, that makes more sense. :)

That's how Chrome works (opens the alert in a new tab, within same window you have open). I know that doesn't help with Safari, but maybe Apple will adopt the same way other browsers work as their push implementation matures. 🤷🏻‍♂️
"Matures"

What is there to mature :(. Everyone else follows the standard API.

IMO this will seriously boost traffic once it's available, the world is moving to mobile platforms and the fact that we can't even get simple notifications on our Apple devices really cuts into it. I recently setup a Mastodon server and the fact that we're all getting real time updates on our devices makes such a big difference.

IMO this will seriously boost traffic once it's available, the world is moving to mobile platforms and the fact that we can't even get simple notifications on our Apple devices really cuts into it. I recently setup a Mastodon server and the fact that we're all getting real time updates on our devices makes such a big difference.
Couldn’t agree more. Too bad Apple hasn’t always had this on phones, considering how much more iPhone traffic I have over Android.

Top Bottom