iOS 16.4 finally introduced push notifications for iOS devices. How is Chrome on MacOS/iOS?

Steve Freides

iOS 16.4 finally introduced push notifications for iOS devices. To facilitate this, your members need to install your site as a PWA (by utilising the Add to Home Screen feature in Safari).

Please explain how to do this, if at all, on Chrome on MacOS and Chrome on iOS, or point me to a document that does.

Thanks.

-S-

iOS 16.4 finally introduced push notifications for iOS devices. To facilitate this, your members need to install your site as a PWA (by utilising the Add to Home Screen feature in Safari).

I use Chrome exclusively on my iOS devices. I did however fire up Safari to enable PWA on the phone. Works fine and doesn't annoy me that it's not Chrome (since there's no bars or URL or anything along those lines, you can't tell which underlying browser you are using, so it's no biggie. It's an "app", not like you are loading up Safari for any purpose other than to install the app.

I did see Apple is allowing other browsers to install PWA apps, but they need to implement it. So hopefully at some point you'll be able to install the PWA without needing to fire up Safari. But it's not there yet.

It’s been available on Chrome on macOS for years.

Only compatible with Safari on iOS at this time as Chrome haven’t implemented it for iOS yet.

But as @digitalpoint rightly says, just fire up Safari and install it that way. You can still use Chrome to do everything else.

Top Bottom