s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
A user is noticing some Facebook embeds that were working previously showing empty space today. Any ideas?

Iframe code:
<code>
<iframe data-s9e-mediaembed="facebook" allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="height:360px" data-s9e-mediaembed-api="2" src="https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/facebook.min.html#1050846519262567" loading="eager"></iframe>
</code>

Also:
<code>
<iframe data-s9e-mediaembed="facebook" allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="height:360px" data-s9e-mediaembed-api="2" src="https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/facebook.min.html#1047109409636278" loading="eager"></iframe>
</code>

I suspect that the visibility/privacy of those posts has been restricted. The embed option is gone from the original page.

Thanks for checking, will take a look. Seems to have occurred today on posts from a few different accounts noticed.

User says before the blank space loads the message "Cannot load Facebook SDK" briefly shows.

It's normal for the message to be on the page briefly; It's there as a placeholder. Forum users don't typically see it because the post usually loads right outside the viewport.

When I try to embed the post using its canonical URL and Facebook's latest embed code, I get the error message "This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed." The post is supposed to be public though, so I don't know what's going on with Facebook.

It seems that sharing Reddit links from the mobile app gives you an URL that's not supported by this addon.

The mobile app gives you the following link, which gets unfurled instead of wrapping the link with MEDIA tags as one would expect.

Meanwhile, the following link gets converted by this addon correctly when grabbing the URL after the redirect or clicking on the share button through the desktop site:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can also confirm the Reddit links won't embed. I think they used to though in previous versions. :unsure:
Yeah, it's just the ones provided in the mobile app when you use the sharing feature.

The link you receive when clicking on the share button on the desktop converts correctly, but the one provided in the mobile app does not and isn't supported. Reddit probably updated the mobile experience before their actual desktop experience, which is not surprising to say the least lol.

It seems that sharing Reddit links from the mobile app gives you an URL that's not supported by this addon.
You're correct, those links were not supported. They are now resolved to a normal URL, at least until Reddit blocks those requests. I can tell they already block requests made via PHP so I have to pretend to be Lynx.

You're correct, those links were not supported. They are now resolved to a normal URL, at least until Reddit blocks those requests. I can tell they already block requests made via PHP so I have to pretend to be Lynx.
You are a godsend my good sir 🫡

Even in the early days of Flarum (I'm Ralkage over in that space/community), you still continued to provide outstanding support and quick fixes, and for that, I will continue to salute you!

Keep up the amazing work!

It's normal for the message to be on the page briefly; It's there as a placeholder. Forum users don't typically see it because the post usually loads right outside the viewport.

When I try to embed the post using its canonical URL and Facebook's latest embed code, I get the error message "This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed." The post is supposed to be public though, so I don't know what's going on with Facebook.
Not sure if this is relevant, but Facebook has a dispute with the Canadian government over compensation for News published on their platform:

QUOTE: Why can’t I share or view news content on Facebook?
In response to Canada's Online News Act, news content from Pages connected to a news outlet can no longer be viewed or shared in Canada.

If you are in Canada, this means:
  • You can no longer share or view news links or content on Facebook, including news articles and audio-visual content posted by news outlets.
  • You can no longer see links or content from any news outlet Pages, even if you search for them or follow them.
========================
Insane issues for us here when wanting to share links from online News outlets. I don't know if this affects your addon's performance over Facebook posts, but I thought I'd mention it.

Interesting. I don't know if it changes anything at my level but I'll keep it in mind if I receive reports of a weird behaviour.

I don't know. Twitter is sometimes blocked in some countries, and there's been some weird technical issues since the acquisition by Elon Musk, so I wouldn't be surprised if entire subnetworks are blacklisted somehow.

Although in my experience, when Twitter embeds do not load it's usually because people are using a privacy-preserving browser such as Brave, Firefox with Tracking Prevention, etc...

On desktop browsers you can take a look at the JavaScript/error console, see if there's anything relevant. You can also visit this page and see if it works on its own: https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/twitter.min.html#1544607467853811712

turned on my ipv6 and things back to normal now.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Minor Quality of Life improvement to the lazy loader

This is a minor improvement to the lazy loader that only concerns dynamically-sized embeds such as tweets or Reddit posts.

The way dynamically-sized embeds work is that the content provider loads the embedded content then notifies the host page of the size it should be displayed as. This add-on usually acts as a middleman and caches this value for later viewings to reduce/eliminate Cumulative Layout Shift. Some content providers (most notably, 𝕏) are...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: cwe
Top Bottom