Right now there is one thing.

Lee

Right now there is one major thing (to me) that I can see that is stopping me from moving my forums over to XenForo when the time comes.

need_this.webp

The way that the status updates are handled here might be a problem for us. I really need a block on the index that is functioning like the one that I have quoted above.

When you click Show comments, there is a lovely little ajax slide to open the comments under the status.

Would you consider something like this as a default for XenForo, as I don't want to have to rely on third party modifications and this is something that my community do use fairly often.

This has given me a thought. Would it be possible to display this (as explained above) but limited to showing a 'trend' or tag? E.g only show statuses that have #home in them (just for example)? Theoretically code-wise its possible, but I was wondering if there is an 'easier' way through the plugin system.

Not really. There is data in the database that's designed to make exposing the latest statuses easier, if we (or a mod writer) wants to use it. Without that, it'd be possible to pull them out, but it'd perform much worse.

Okay, well this sort of answers my question. I guess this is like the "hooks" system that other software might use.

Which brings me on to one more question, will be be easy to understand and use?

Hard to say how you'd find it really. It's probably a very different concept than you're used to, so there will be a learning curve. But beyond that, I say it's easy to use. I'm probably biased though. :)

Well, I use the IPB3 hooks system right now and am becoming fairly competent with that. Like I say, this will be the falling point for me - so it would be nice to know that this might be considered as a default "hook". Even if turned off.

Lee: If its any help, its something I'd like on my site's sidebar....if I make it before someone else I'll release it for free here :)

That would be very helpful actually. As much as I don't want to rely on third party addons, if I could just manage to limit myself to one, this would be great.

Top Bottom