Cannot reproduce Rich Text Editor problems with Chrome on Android

Sim

One of my members recorded the following video to demonstrate the problems she is having with the rich text editor:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Chrome browser on Android 5.0.2 on a Sony Z2

Also reported (by the same user) as happening on Chrome on Android 5.0.1 on a HTC M8

The following video shows the same user entering data into a non-RTE editor (vBulletin 3.8.x quick reply) on the same Sony device / browser:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just as an update - user confirmed that this happens when using the Swiftkey keyboard.

I asked them to try turning Swiftkey off and they confirmed that the problem goes away.

So problem seems to be related to: RTE + Swiftkey keyboard + Chrome (default browser) + Android 5.x (not device specific it seems)

They don't have any other browsers installed on the device, so can't get them to check if it is browser-specific.

It'll be an issue with Swiftkey keyboard and the autocorrect feature rather than XenForo itself. I have the odd issue with the Sony Xperia keyboard on Android, especially with smileys which I can't add with autocorrect enabled but can when it's disabled. I'm still on Android 4.4 but the issue is fixed in Android 5 when there's also an update to the Xperia keyboard.

It'll be an issue with Swiftkey keyboard and the autocorrect feature rather than XenForo itself

Yes, but for the fact that it only seems to be in the XenForo RTE that the problem surfaces - it doesn't happen on other websites.

So it could be some combination of stuff revolving around Swiftkey with autocorrect that is specific to XenForo's implementation of the RTE - which doesn't actually indicate where the fix needs to come from.

Yes, but for the fact that it only seems to be in the XenForo RTE that the problem surfaces - it doesn't happen on other websites.
Which other RTEs has this been tested on? You've only demonstrated that it doesn't happen with non-RTE on vBulletin and I bet it doesn't happen with the non-RTE on XenForo too.

We haven't explicitly fixed the issue being described here, but it's not unfeasible that the performance improvements Mike implemneted may have had an impact here.

I now have a second user reporting the same issues - also on a Sony Z2.

There was a suggestion it might be related to a recent Swiftkey update - SwiftKey glitch causes double trouble for Android users after update (UPDATE)

Looking carefully at the first video I linked to above, it does seem that there is some doubling-up of words as the user types (autocorrect is also in operation, so sometimes the doubled word is the corrected word, not the word that was typed).

I am not able to confirm the issue with SwiftKey (5.3.2.67) on Android 5.1.1 (Nexus 5). I did see that issue in the past, either with Android 2.3 or 4.0/4.1. I don't think it's clear whether this is inherently a keyboard issue or if there is a core part of the OS in play as well. It's definitely working as expected right now though.

Unfortunately, there isn't likely to be much we can do about this as it's just basic typing and I don't believe we actually get particularly involved in changing things here.

Does anyone else have a situation where they can reproduce it?

I now have 4 users using Swiftkey on Chrome on Android on a Sony Z2 all complaining of exactly the same problem ... it very well may be a device-specific bug in Swiftkey.

Can someone please buy Mike a Sony Z2 for testing on? Perhaps grab one of every phone type in the store while you're at it, just in case? :D

BTW. users have confirmed that it works fine using the default Android browser - so they have resorted to using that for posting, while using their preferred Chrome browser only for browsing.

BTW. users have confirmed that it works fine using the default Android browser
The Z2 doesn't come with the old Android browser (ASOP) as far as I'm aware. I have a Z1 compact and it's not on that. I think you have to have a rooted phone to install ASOP or have custom firmware which has it. ASOP has been deprecated for a while. Maybe rooting or custom firmware is a factor in this problem?

Maybe rooting or custom firmware is a factor in this problem?
I doubt that - my users are typically not that tech-savvy to root their phones.

I will verify - this is what the user who originally complained about the problem wrote:

FWIW, the default browser on my phone works fine.

When I want to reply I just use that otherwise chrome is my usual browser.

A search of the Web indicates that the Sony Xperia Z2 was released in May 2014 with Android Kitkat 4.4.2 and only one browser, Chrome. No ASOP.

Anyway, it's worth trying to rule out other factors. Maybe also ask them to see if they have the same issue with the default Xperia keyboard? Personally I prefer this to Swiftkey.

I've just had this problem with SwiftKey 5.3.2.67 and chrome 43.0.2357.93 on Android 5 lollipop

Will try and reproduce but it seems to centre (for me) around clicking your autocorrect option and continuing to type after it.

A search of the Web indicates that the Sony Xperia Z2 was released in May 2014 with Android Kitkat 4.4.2 and only one browser, Chrome. No ASOP.

Anyway, it's worth trying to rule out other factors. Maybe also ask them to see if they have the same issue with the default Xperia keyboard? Personally I prefer this to Swiftkey.

They have obviously been upgraded to Android 5 since then - and have confirmed that they do indeed have the default Android browser in addition to Chrome.

I'm pretty sure it is Swiftkey related and doesn't happen with Swiftkey turned off.

I've had this happen with swiftkey on chrome in 5.1 on the Droid Turbo with XF 1.4.8, and the version of 1.5 installed here.

Top Bottom