Reverse thread prefix order in development discussions

Kirby

It might be just me, but I think it would be beneficial to reverse the order of the version thread prefixes in development discussions to the have most recent version on top :)

I think that makes sense and definitely something I've noticed as getting more awkward as time goes on. I've re-ordered these for XF and the add-ons.

We went live with XF 2.1.2 this weekend, moving from a 10-year old VB forum, and for the most part everyone loves it. But the biggest complaint is the loss of being able to view threads in reverse order where the latest post is presented first. In VB we had this as a user preference setting. 80% of our users never change it from the default which is oldest to newest, but 20% (including me) really don't like it that way and have set our preference newest to oldest.

The XF behavior of jumping to the most recently viewed post in a thread is okay but not always helpful, especially when coming up after a fresh import. We have some threads with over 200 posts and viewing it for the first time to see what is current is a real pain. Also, when starting out on a freshly imported system, XF starts off showing everyone the oldest post first since it is unaware of that user's viewing history on VB.

I see that there is one add-on that provides a reverse view but it is globally set per forum by the Admin. This isn't an acceptable solution given the 80/20 preference split. This is kind of like a ketchup or mustard preference on hamburgers & hot dogs (ketchup on hamburgers, mustard on hot dogs, anything else is just wrong!)

Last edited:
We went live with XF 2.1.2 this weekend, moving from a 10-year old VB forum, and for the most part everyone loves it. But the biggest complaint is the loss of being able to view threads in reverse order where the latest post is presented first. In VB we had this as a user preference setting. 80% of our users never change it from the default which is oldest to newest, but 20% (including me) really don't like it that way and have set our preference newest to oldest.

The XF behavior of jumping to the most recently viewed post in a thread is okay but not always helpful, especially when coming up after a fresh import. We have some threads with over 200 posts and viewing it for the first time to see what is current is a real pain. Also, when starting out on a freshly imported system, XF starts off showing everyone the oldest post first since it is unaware of that user's viewing history on VB.

These are two unrelated issues, but what you're talking about is probably not going to change anytime soon (if ever), unless the devs have something planned behind the scenes they haven't told us about - which is always possible, of course. You can see a recent discussion on this here:

What are 2 different issues, post viewing order and condiments on burgers? I made that analogy because of the very strong preferences espoused by both camps.

I've seen in this forum this issue being raised going back many years and it's apparent XF doesn't plan to budge (obviously very strong preference in on camp), but I'm just pointing out that not everyone has the same preference. And reading the other thread you referenced highlights my point, people have STRONG, individual preferences about some things that others somehow find easy to dismiss.

What are 2 different issues, post viewing order and condiments on burgers? I made that analogy because of the very strong preferences espoused by both camps.

I've seen in this forum this issue being raised going back many years and it's apparent XF doesn't plan to budge (obviously very strong preference in on camp), but I'm just pointing out that not everyone has the same preference. And reading the other thread you referenced highlights my point, people have STRONG, individual preferences about some things that others somehow find easy to dismiss.
No problem. If you want to see them as related, that's fine with me. ;)

What are 2 different issues, post viewing order and condiments on burgers?
The point that was being made is about where you have chosen to post this in the first place. This thread is about the order in which our thread prefixes appear in on this specific site. This thread is nothing to do with what order the posts appear in a thread.

You're right. I'm sorry. I searched for Reverse and the picked the wrong thread to post in. It's been a wicked grind to transition the systems over the weekend. I'm exhausted. I didn't get what the "2 different issues" comment was saying.

Top Bottom