RM 2.2 [Resources ] What's the difference between Post a new version vs Post an update?

I presume the question is what is the difference?

Quite literally 'Post an update' just makes a new update to the resource without changing the version.

Just to clarify, only updates send notifications. Normally if you're doing a new version, you would want a corresponding update with details about it. But if you just do a version, it won't send notifications and it won't bump the resource.

Just to clarify, only updates send notifications. Normally if you're doing a new version, you would want a corresponding update with details about it. But if you just do a version, it won't send notifications and it won't bump the resource.
What's the purpose of "Post an Update?" I ask because I can't upload a new file.

Versions change the download, updates represent any sort of update about the resource. This doesn't have to be related to a new version though it commonly is. It could reflect changes to the resource description (if there isn't a file) or any other sort of "news" that might relate to it. It's roughly equivalent to a replying to a thread.

Outwardly, updates do what I mentioned in the previous message (send notifications, add a post in a related thread, bump the resource).

-- Sorry for gravediggin this thread up --

Is there a permission/addon that'll allow me to require a version (file) update along with their optional post update?
  • I'd like to either force a requirement for either/or a version and update

Top Bottom