RM 1.2 Resource Tagging, New Reviews and More

Hot on the heels of our XenForo Media Gallery 1.1 announcement, we are now also ready to show what's coming in XenForo Resource Manager 1.2.

Resource Manager 1.2, like Media Gallery 1.1, will require XenForo 1.5.

Resource tagging
As we mentioned in the thread tagging announcement, tagging support would be coming to our official add-ons. Resource tagging thus works very similarly to thread tagging.

Tags can be displayed at the top:
upload_2015-7-16_12-23-5.webp

Or at the bottom:
upload_2015-7-16_12-23-38.webp

When tags are at the top, they will be displayed on all parts of the resource (other than in the discussion thread). When tags are at the bottom, they will only be displayed on the overview tab.

Editing is otherwise identical to thread tags.

Latest reviews
You may now display the latest reviews in a sidebar block on the main resource list page:
upload_2015-7-16_12-24-39.webp

This can also lead to a separate latest reviews page to allow access to more than just the last few reviews:
upload_2015-7-16_12-25-13.webp

New resources block
The newest resources (by last update) can now be displayed on the forum list page in a sidebar block, like the standard "new posts" and "new profile posts" blocks:

upload_2015-7-16_12-26-47.webp

We have also added a resources tab to the "find new" system to make it easier to see the latest resources. This essentially just matches the resource list shown on the resource index page when sorting by the latest updates.

Default sort order option
The default sort order for the resource index and category overview pages can now be changed:

upload_2015-7-16_12-27-17.webp

Sorting tab changes
Like the media gallery, we have collapsed the sort options in on the resource list pages into a menu:

upload_2015-7-16_12-27-45.webp

This provides a more consistent display across devices, particularly moving the content up the page on smaller devices. This also allows us to add more sorting options without running into space constraints, so we have added support for sorting by resource titles.

Mentions in resources and updates
Previously, we did not support for @ mentions in resources and resource updates. This has now changed. For example, you can now thank someone for their contribution when posting an update and have them receive an alert. (Note that, like elsewhere in XenForo, alerts will not be sent when editing a resource or an update.)

Author alerts
The ability to send an alert to a content author when a moderator takes action against their content has been incredibly useful, so we're expanding to include that in resources.

upload_2015-7-16_13-3-15.webp

Alerts can be sent when editing or deleting a resource, resource update or review. An alert can also be sent when reassigning a resource; this alert will be sent to the current and new owners.

That's what's coming in XenForo Resource Manager 1.2. We'll be installing it here soon. Once we're happy with how it's going, we'll follow it up with a beta for more extended testing. :)

Last edited:
I've had XF since 2011, so I think I know how to upload files manually. :) I simply restored everything to the previous version until this is resolved.

There's nothing to resolve on our part.

Regardless of how long someone has been doing something, mistakes can be made.

The error suggests that it can't find a function in a specific file and one fairly obvious cause of that would be that the file hasn't uploaded correctly, in some way. This could be the wrong files being uploaded, or files being uploaded to the wrong place or the application used to upload the files having corrupted them or the incorrect option chosen when uploading (e.g. Saying no to replacing files).

oh no!! where did the "Newest Resources" tab go?? now i can't see the newest resources

it's not even in the filters tab, why did they remove it, it was very useful

1.webp

oh i see. now i remember

Latest Submissions would of been better,, im changing my phrase back to Newest Resources

The new phares are strange, a bit confusing, needs another word beside them

i think there should be an (s) on updates, and it should be latest, not last , it sounds weird
submission date should explain more, latest submissions is better, newest submissions
rating? doesn't really explain what.... should be top rated, or best rated
same with download, should explain more, top downloaded,

1.webp

2.webp

because when i click them, it doesn't explain , and i always have to remember how they are sorted,

Last edited:
I'm not seeing what's so confusing about Newest Resources being renamed to Submission Date. They both mean the same thing.

That wasn't a bug. That was just styling you needed to take care of on your style to make it look how you wanted it.

Resource tagging
As we mentioned in the thread tagging announcement, tagging support would be coming to our official add-ons. Resource tagging thus works very similarly to thread tagging.
This is a great feature - thank you.
Just a question - is it possible to add tags to existing resources (ones that were created before this upgrade) like you can with thread tagging? I can't see any option for this.
Also, where do we set the options for resource tagging (where to place them etc)?
Thanks for your help :)

Yes, the addition process is basically identical to how it works on a thread (after it has been created).

The position depends on the global option that controls where tags are displayed (top or bottom of the page).

I'm afraid I can't see an option to add tags to existing resources, nor where the global options are. Please could you direct me?

Top Bottom