******* Resource Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what about those who may not have been part of past discussions?
those who may not have cruised the official xF forums and kept up?
those who may just browse resources, download and install those that look good & have good ratings?

put yourself in the xF customers shoes:
xF has yanked hundreds of addons, and the official announcement offers zero explanation or guidance to those in the community you claim to be acting in "the best interest of".

you've left a good chunk of your customers completely in the dark. even if your response is "we dont feel it necessary at this point to uninstall what you may have downloaded via xF.com up through this date", it would help.
Add-ons (regardless of author) are not audited by us. When it comes to code issues, it is generally down to when a claim is made and we investigate. You need to trust the author when installing any add-on.

The result here is from a combination of things, many of which have indeed been discussed elsewhere and the allegations can be reviewed there if you wish. The issues are mostly not code related.

Even in this case, very little code has been involved. I will say that the actions taken are not directly related to security concerns, but as we have not audited code, we could not explicitly say whether it is safe or not; this applies to any resource here.

Add-ons (regardless of author) are not audited by us. When it comes to code issues, it is generally down to when a claim is made and we investigate. You need to trust the author when installing any add-on.

The result here is from a combination of things, many of which have indeed been discussed elsewhere and the allegations can be reviewed there if you wish. The issues are mostly not code related.

Even in this case, very little code has been involved. I will say that the actions taken are not directly related to security concerns, but as we have not audited code, we could not explicitly say whether it is safe or not; this applies to any resource here.
perfect. appreciate this - much more helpful with the extra bit of context!

Isn't your logic seriously flawed? For all we know, they removed his addons because of a security issue so any addons from before today may not have held to the XF guidelines either.
yes - BUT - now that xF isn't involved at all, it may as well be the wild west in regards to what they may/may not be doing.

Glad to see action taken, I knew something wasn't right and everything found only summed this action up.

I just hope for the sake of ******* clients he doesn't start playing dirty.

I understand the decision, but disappointed that ******* made such poor decisions which led to this outcome. As someone who uses quite a few of his add-ons, I'm concerned about the level of support I'll receive from them. Many of these don't have suitable replacements.

there are no alternative for most ******* addons, I would happy to remove them but where can i find something like Navigation widget, Modern forum statistics, or quick create thread button ? its a sad day for customers. now we have to deal with him directly knowing his bad practices .
When customers needed some protection from XF, the company decided the let them alone with a suspicious coder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hat's off to you guys. You seen a problem and instead of taking the high road you hit it head on with your investigation and made a decision. You did what is best for the community. Not many companies would even bothered to investigate.

Thanks for looking out for us users. We know we can trust XenForo.

I know a lot of people here have used *******'s work. And for you all I think this decision will come most difficult. But from my perspective as a resource developer, my respect for XenForo has doubled if not more so for them taking action. They stand by their resource developers. ******* was making a profit off our work, @Jon W 's work, @Russ 's work, @Chris D 's work, @Arty 's work, @Bob 's work, you name it they were on that site. Not to mention nulled XenForo and the like. He (blatantly) copied our concepts and our code and it was probably worse than the few we found. XenForo is sending a clear message here, they stand up for our own.

I speak for my entire company of five employees when I say thank you, XenForo.

Last edited:
there are no alternative for most Brevium addons, I would happy to remove them but where can i find something like Navigation widget, Modern forum statistics, or quick create thread button ? its a sad day for customers. now we have to deal with him directly knowing his bad practices .
When customers needed some protection from XF, the company decided the let them alone with a suspicious coder.

For the moment especially if you are on Xenforo 1.4 you shouldn't be in all that much of a rush to find replacements. It effects those who don't have and want more than those that have them already. Your primary concern for replacement doesn't come until Xenforo 2.0 unless you find a critical bug. Even then they still have their own site and will make their own decisions about supporting the work.

XF has done what is right and what they can do. They have not The ability to do much more. The only leniency was to help customers not be screwed over.

I have a question. If uninstall ******* addons, it will REMOVED in FTP and from Database permanently?! I've using profile cover add-on. Now I removed it but I'm confused.

Note that thank you XenForo...

I have a question. If uninstall ******* addons, it will REMOVED in FTP and from Database permanently?! I've using profile cover add-on. Now I removed it but I'm confused.

Note that thank you XenForo...

Files manually uploaded to the ftp have to be removed by hand like any other add-on.

@Eagle There is folder under library\******* which needs to be removed. Also probably there are files with prefix "br" or something like that which needs to be removed as well for complete install.

All I can say is: Wow. However, that stems from the fact I hadn't been keeping up with this ******* stuff at all.

Either way, if the XF team thinks this is the right thing to do, then I trust them that it is.

I hadn't used any ******* add-ons (except on dev sites for compatibility testing against my own add-ons), however I know some people have quite a few paid add-ons from them. Very unlucky.

Liam

As said, you will need to post support questions for add-ons in their respective threads. This is not the place for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom