RM 1.0 Resource Manager Feedback and Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There has been a considerable amount of discussion and comments on the Resource Manager since it has been implemented... not all of which has been positive. ;) However, I do want to mention that it is still early days and what you're seeing borders on the "minimum viable product" (MVP) concept and will be improved. You can't develop a product solely in a vacuum -- you need to see how it works when people use it and that's when you discover things that need to be changed.

We have taken a lot of feedback on board, and there are various features that we're looking at. Some of these include:
  • Purchase support for resources (both for a "single owner" like a shop and "app store" style)
  • Custom resource fields (by category, ideally)
  • Category hierarchy
  • Review support for ratings
  • Better limits on who can rate
  • And some others :)
Conversely, there are some suggestions that we don't necessarily agree with and some considerations that need to be taken into account that might not be immediately obvious. I want to cover some of these suggestions to let you know what we think and to try to foster some in-depth discussion. I feel that a lot of the initial thoughts that have been posted have not necessarily thought about other perspectives or what the purpose of X is.

The Resource Manager is a "general use" add-on

This means that despite it only being used on XenForo.com, it's designed to be used by other people with different requirements and desires. As such, when we implement something, we can't just hack in something specific for XF.com. It needs to be approached in a more generic way. Sometimes this way is obvious and most ideas can be spun into something more generic, but it always means more work -- the amount more is what varies, sometimes orders of magnitude more.

The category sidebar should be on the right to be consistent

I find this a slightly weird suggestion and one I don't really understand completely.

First, you'll note that the right sidebar you see on most pages contains less important information. In most cases, if it weren't there, you'd still be able to get around. The category sidebar is the primary navigation system within the resource manager, so it deserves a more prominent display. Most sites either use top- and/or left-based navigation system; I can't think of one with primary navigation in a right column.

Second, it's not actually inconsistent. There are various other places in XenForo that use left-column navigation: Help, the account pages, and automatic page node navigation.

The Resource Manager is a shop front for digital downloads / discussions in resources

(I'm aware of the irony of me calling it that when you can't sell individual items directly, but as we've repeatedly said, it's something we want, but wasn't part of the MVP.)

The talk about whether discussions should be in resources gets to the heart of what the purpose of the Resource Manager is. Foremost, the RM is designed to be a shop front for digital downloads - like Amazon (they do digital downloads :)) and your pick of app stores. The primary purpose is to make it easier to discover resources and to keep up to date with them.

Going back to just using threads means that updates to resources are intermixed with general questions, so if you're running add-on X, you have to watch the thread if you want to be informed of updates, but then you're forced to wade through the other stuff to find updates. The RM solves that by allowing you to watch a resource and be notified whenever it's updated, not when there's a comment. Always keep in mind that there are a large number of people that don't post in the add-on threads at all; they just use them. (The same way we have plenty of customers that never post here and probably haven't even registered and have never had "human" contact with us.)

So, this leads me into a few philosophical sounding questions...

In the context of resources, what are discussions? Is it saying that you love it or it worked well (or you hate it)? The reviews system (which would display within a resource) seems to handle that. Is it saying thanks (or other form of appreciation)? The like system and possibly reviews can solve that, but regardless that doesn't make for compelling reading for most others. :)

So, then we have functionality questions, support, and suggestions. (Anything else I can't think of?) So if the thread is made up of that, what is the distinct value of including that in the resource? Keep in mind that you can always watch the thread if you're interested in more than just the resource (which a lot of people aren't). As a matter of fact, doesn't using the thread system make it easier to work with the comments on resources if you feel they're very important? They keep the visibility via new/recent threads, whereas they wouldn't be there if they were in the resource. There's also the question of whether it's actually worth it to implement all the additional functionality when we have a thread system, though that may vary on a case by case basis.

I do take that allowing the resource author to moderate their own thread would be cool.

Then, the next philosophical question, what is in a resource? Is it just keeping the layout? Is it showing when you view the resource from the list? I'm genuinely curious about this. In theory, we could make the resource threads not show up in what's new and only be discoverable via the resource system. You'd only get updates to them if you watched them. While that would appear to be "in" the resource (the technical implementation notwithstanding), but what's the benefit?

I am after some serious discussion on this, as I'm trying to understand the mindset -- the discussion just seems to pale in comparison to the importance of the resource (for people looking for resources), and the fact that I don't need to ever visit the resource itself to keep up with the discussion means that I don't see a disadvantage to the thread system.

Resources as a "forum" (multiple discussions)

I understand this idea, and it's not unreasonable as a general concept, though it isn't a priority based on what I mentioned earlier: the focus of the resource is on the resource and keeping up to date with it. It's also a big undertaking. :)

In terms of XF.com, there are some add-ons (in particular) that it'd be useful for, but there's nothing preventing authors from setting up their own areas that consist of more than one thread. People will have different approaches and desires with this, so I don't think they should necessarily be shoehorned into a particular approach. You might say that the thread is a particular approach, but the thread isn't required--we have locked one as the author requested support via his site--and there may be some changes to emphasize that down the line. I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure there are more things I'll come up with, but I think that's enough for now...

Brogan, thanks for clarifying that.

As for further feedback, someone else had mentioned this before, but I thought I would "second it." My understanding is that you cannot release multiple files as the "resource." If so, I think it would be very helpful to allow for this. If this ever does become a released product, I would be using it to post .pdf files (essentially, technical manuals) on various subjects. I think that in some cases, I would want to group closely related files into one download. If I am misunderstanding how the RM works, apologies.

I think that in some cases, I would want to group closely related files into one download.
Currently only a single file per entry is possible.

The options are to zip all the resources and upload as a single file, or upload each one as a separate blog entry in the same resource.

Is it currently possible/a planned feature to link a resource download button to an external URL, rather than having the resource being an attachment of sorts?

Not at the moment no, a file is required to create the resource entry.
For your own implementation you can allow any file type to be uploaded and then enter the URL in the External URL field.

Importer is it expected with the release of RM ?

I see members achieve great hack (Blog, bookmark, Post Rathings, etc ...) that integrates completely in XenForo and meet the needs of all, so when I see that addon will force people to put in archives the olds threads, it confuses me.
Simple answer is you don't know what it would require with code. There is simply no way to properly have threads magically turn into resources. The way to do it is via an importer. I don't understand why people don't get that... when I make an importer people don't complain that what they used before doesn't magically work, they just execute the import. Then there is the fact an importer for this would be easily prone to error. How is the code meant to decide what is the main add-on, what is meant as a screenshot, is it meant to grab images from the post and attach them?

I also don't understand everyone going on about this because if they wanted a proper system in place for handling resources because it was so important they would have someone make it, not wait for something that they don't even know the specs of. It is simply unrealistic.

For your own implementation you can allow any file type to be uploaded and then enter the URL in the External URL field.
Does that mean I could upload my resource with an empty file? And have clear instructions on where to purchase the add-on?

A certain addon I previously used allowed me to upload files via FTP to my server, and then "import" them as individual downloads (resources). Is this similar to what you mentioned above, Paul?

Q: Why were old threads not moved over to the Resource Manager ?

[1] technical reasons ? [couldn't merge the threads] [couldn't point the RM to the old thread]
[2] it was possible technically, but there was a decision to start fresh. What was the rationale ?

Content associated with the Addon needs a location:
.... for items such as
(1) Language addons
(2) Addons to the addon :) (ie. XenPorta Modules).
(3) Mods
(4) Addons that are required, suggested for the Resource (ie. an addon might require Nodes as Tabs)
(5) Graphics for Addon
(6) Styles for Addon
(7) ... etc.

[Edit]
(8) Forked Addons - abandoned addons might allow forking to a new developer (new resource manager entry).

Here are 2 teaser screens.

I agree this is monumentally better than the existing version.Clearly feedback has been heard, understood and implemented EXCEPT the treatment of currently archived discussions.
The solid block of information on the left with a SMALL avatar for the developer, and the navigation tabs - all excellent.

I share the concerns of others about the placement of Download button, Version data, Information block, and the Discussion button. Thery don't fit right.

Keeping the Download button where it is, the Discussion button should be under it. Watch this Resource sghould be a third equally prominent button, below Download and above Discuss.
It's frequent to Watch an item for a while before downloading it so this function should be equally prominent - any time I use a button for top level activity any other activity on that level should also be a button.

The Version data box is quite odd wandering around in the reading text. I can see the logic of it being under the Download button, but it confuses the eye sitting next to similar boxes in the sidebar. The two parts of the page look like they muddle each other up.
Why not merge Information and Version in two sections of asingle block?
RM.webp
I find Blogs Reviews and Discussion overly complicated. If you're Watching this resource presumably you are Watching its Discussion so you'd be notified of upgrades there because the developer would post there. It would also show in the sidebar. So what are Blogs for?​
Reviews is possibly good have to wait and see how this is handled.​
But of course this still leaves the vexed issue of previous discussion content. Trashing people's work is never never an option. Far too demotivating. We sweat blood to get people to post - and then suddenly all there posts here are being trashed? This ios crazy.​
I don't understand why the Discussion thread cannot be the existing Discussion thread? Why start a new one?​
If this is about different kinds of function - if the new Discussion thread is different, not a standard discussion thread, then let's have a workaround. A temporary link for say 3 months to the old thread to give developers time to lift out any really useful content and move it over. The dev selects any previous threads to draw on, they get tickboxes on their posts , dev selects and presses button. These posts are then merged in the new thread.​
Something like that.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom