Resource manager as a downloads manager?

Alpha1

Basically the RM is a downloads manager. But its also quite a different animal than DownloadsII, Links and Downloads Manager, vbDownloads and IP.Downloads.

Can the RM be used to replace these addons? How?
Will there be an importer to import categories, files, discussions and ratings from these addons?

To be fair I think for the first revision of the RM it'll be bloody good. I personally have waited 10 years for an official RM add-on (by another company that never came) so this is a bonus and I'm sure future development of it will rival/surpass other download systems by other <insert software x>. So yeah, "all" & "good". :thumbsup:

Future features are never commented on, for various reasons.

Well, in this instance, it'd be nice if an exception could be made since most of us with an actual use for a resource/download manager need these features. I'm sure there will be fanboys who'll buy RM just to support XF, but in the end I would assume the goal would be to make RM versatile enough to be actually usable in production without needing to be additionally modded (and modding something like this is a problem for a number of reasons). Given that the base looks solid enough, it shouldn't be too hard.

Like I said, if I got confirmation that the above will be added, I'd buy it tomorrow. If not, I'll pass until I see it happen or see it announced. I would assume anyone sensible will do the same.

TBH, we could never really commit to a list like that anyway. Maybe some stuff would come in RM 1.1, maybe others in RM 1.3 and maybe never. In terms of suggestions, we always recommend they're posted individually so particular requirements can be tracked and voted on independently.

The stated position has always been to purchase the software based on what it can do now, not what you think it might do in the future.

Arguably, by far the majority of people buying it tomorrow will not be following the above guideline but rather making a leap of faith based on what they think the product will do in the future or think that it can do now, but doesn't (only they don't know it yet because they couldn't test it).

Just sayin'... and yes, they'll be getting a hefty discount for it, but still.

TBH, we could never really commit to a list like that anyway. Maybe some stuff would come in RM 1.1, maybe others in RM 1.3 and maybe never. In terms of suggestions, we always recommend they're posted individually so particular requirements can be tracked and voted on independently.

Yea, I expected as much. I guess I'll wait and see what you do with it in the next 6 months. The requests already posted are really run of the mill generic for every download manager so I would assume they don't need repeating anywhere.

Arguably, by far the majority of people buying it tomorrow will not be following the above guideline but rather making a leap of faith based on what they think the product will do in the future or think that it can do now, but doesn't (only they don't know it yet because they couldn't test it).

Just sayin'... and yes, they'll be getting a hefty discount for it, but still.
People do that with XenForo now, and later come back and complain that it does not do X which is why they bought it.

It really comes down to users doing research before putting money down on something. Sellers can only do so much, it's up to the consumer to make informed decisions about what they're paying for.

My issue here is more that I want to buy it (because I need a download manager) but in its current state, and not knowing what will be done with it in the future, I can't. Too many basic features missing right now, unfortunately. Which is frustrating, because I like what I see - it's just not enough right now.

What basic features are needed? For this being an initial release, seems to do quite a bit to me. If you are needing a place to host files, categorize, rate and review, download based on permission, this covers it.

What else is considered "basic"?

If you haven't seen it already, all of the core admin options have been highlighted as well: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-admin-options.46514/

Yea, I've seen that, but I'd need to really play with it first-hand and try various things out in practice for a better idea. But since I already know that a few key features I need aren't in yet, there's no point for me right now. I'll certainly be making use of the demo in the future when hopefully what I need will be added.

I pointed to that Have You Seen, because it does point out external URLs for downloads in the category configuration. And we do plenty of download tracking - just nothing is exposed other than numbers.

I pointed to that Have You Seen, because it does point out external URLs for downloads in the category configuration. And we do plenty of download tracking - just nothing is exposed other than numbers.

Doh. We've been discussing this across a couple of threads and nobody pointed out that it already did that so we assumed it didn't.

OK, so if you're storing it internally showing it wouldn't be a problem.

Then I guess it's just down to the multiple files as far as Really Big Issues go right now. And that is a bit of a problem from what I've seen you mention.

I assume you could come up with some sort of workaround that wouldn't require an entire change of concept, though?

I think the best workaround for multiple files has already been given, and that's packaging them up into one file.

It is a pretty big core change, if you think about it.

You've got to all of a sudden begin managing multiple versions of multiple files (potentially), counting multiple downloads of multiple files, display multiple files for download maybe even rating multiple files.

There's lots of considerations for that to happen.

Top Bottom