Request of personal data

Faust

How do you deal with user data request ? I had an request which I’ve sent xml file, and he said is not satisfied because there’s not all his data, like his forum comments, images posted on forum and others. As far as I k ow these are not classified as personal data, rather than content.

They might be and you don't need the headache of testing it.

I posted the following in reply to your post in GDPR - first ever request:

1. Delete his account: that will also delete his avatar.

2. Let him know that you will not delete his forum posts but that his posts will now be attributed to Deleted Member XXXX. (Your terms of use statement should include a statement something like "By posting on this forum, you agree that you conveyed a license in perpetuity to the owners of this forum to display your content on the forum". If you don't have that yet, add it.)

3. He may well complain that posts quoted by others still have his user name in the quote. You can resolve this using the Xenforo censor: Replace {original username} by Deleted Member XXX.

4. Now all his personal information is removed from the database and from the forum content.

Thanks @djbaxter , he basically said that he doesn’t want his account to be deleted, but asked for his data, which I sent him a copy, but the he resplendent that is not satisfied as is not included all his posts, images posted and avatar…

Trying not to spam,

Is that legal to just delete his account, even if he mentioned that he doesn’t want his account to be deleted. @webbouk

Ban him and delete his account.
That's an over the top response to a standard data request.

Provide the member with whatever data you are able to, such as the export from the ACP.

For posts, etc. tell them they are able to retrieve them via their profile page, or search.

That's an over the top response to a standard data request.

Provide the member with whatever data you are able to, such as the export from the ACP.

For posts, etc. tell them they are able to retrieve them via their profile page, or search.

Do you really think it will stop there? I guess we'll see...

Whether the member is satisfied or not, that is the extent of the data which can be provided.

If you really want to provide all content then a few simple queries would be able to pull all posts profile posts, etc. made by the member, but a site operator shouldn't be expected to have to know how to execute queries.

If he asked not to be banned and he's out to cause you trouble, you may have just rattled his cage

Provide the XML and politely tell him that you will request a search for data as requested but for which there will be a fee to cover your expenses.
If he is happy to pay the fee then you will invoice him accordingly and once the invoice is settled provide the information requested.

I bet he will back right off if it means paying for it

If he asked not to be banned and he's out to cause you trouble, you may have just rattled his cage

Provide the XML and politely tell him that you will request a search for data as requested but for which there will be a fee to cover your expenses.
If he is happy to pay the fee then you will invoice him accordingly and once the invoice is settled provide the information requested.

I bet he will back right off if it means paying for it

Just deleted him. He Wasn't happy that I was keeping removing his link as I cleaned stated no spamming on forum, and started to cause this.

Just deleted him. He Wasn't happy that I was keeping removing his link as I cleaned stated no spamming on forum, and started to cause this.
Repeated spamming or breaking other rules on your forum is a valid reason for banning. I wouldn't worry about his reaction at this point. Just watch for attempts by him to return with another identity and continue complaining. When he does, ban that account too.

You don't need a legal reason to ban someone. It's a private site, not some public government owned agency. No one has a right to be a user on your site any more than you can demand to have an account on some random WordPress blog.

Not saying that's a good way to run a site (banning someone just because you don't like them), but there is no legal reason you need to allow them.

You don't need a legal reason to ban someone. It's a private site, not some public government owned agency. No one has a right to be a user on your site any more than you can demand to have an account on some random WordPress blog.

Not saying that's a good way to run a site (banning someone just because you don't like them), but there is no legal reason you need to allow them.
^^^ This. Absolutely.

Add this to your Terms of Use. It protects you from pretty much anything any user request outside of the export function you can do from ACP. It basically says that anything posted on the forum is owned by the forum admin/moderators and the poster can not request the content to be deleted or exported. If users of your (or any site for that matter) ignores the terms you can never be held accountable for anything.

"Certain aspects of the Site may allow you to submit or post a variety of content to the Site, such as text, images, files, videos, and other content, either directly to the Service or through a Third Party Service (collectively, "User Content"). Please be aware that User Content is not confidential and may be accessible by other users and the public. Moreover, by submitting or posting User Content to the Service (either directly or through a Third Party Service) you grant this Site a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, sublicensable, assignable, unrestricted, worldwide license to use the User Content, together with all consents or waivers (if any) necessary to distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, transmit, communicate to the public and modify the User Content, by any means and in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised in perpetuity, and to advertise and promote such use, without further notice to, or permission from, you or any other person, and without compensation or reference to you or any other person. As soon as you decide to delete your User Content(s) or request a account deletion and at our discretion, we will irrevocably delete it completely from our server(s) within two weeks and will no longer make use of the above-mentioned license in the future. This excludes content (text, images, files, videos, and other content) that have become so essential that we have a legitimate interest in continuing to host them."

Last edited:
Repeated spamming or breaking other rules on your forum is a valid reason for banning. I wouldn't worry about his reaction at this point. Just watch for attempts by him to return with another identity and continue complaining. When he does, ban that account too.
He won't be able to join, my forum is private, no one can join without invite code. Probably he wasn't happy that I deleted his account.

Unfortunately no.
In fact there are laws and unless you create your own country with your own laws you are subject to them.
This is how not everyone shoots everyone (with a few unfortunate exceptions ...)

You can add any point of Terms of Use if it goes against the GDPR then it has no value.

I think it's pretty clear that @Sim wasn't talking about site rules that contravene GDPR or similar laws in other locations.

Top Bottom