Lack of interest Status Message Box at top of Personal Details is confusing

erich37

usually the first thing a new user is doing is to fill in his data at the "Personal Account" page at
http://www.domain.com/account/

Unfortunately, the first thing the user is seeing at this page is the "Status Message"-box.
This gives the user the impression of the need of posting a "Status Message" and he totally forgets about the existance of the Forum-component.

I have seen this a lot with users who are not used to Forums, but merely used to FB only. They just write a status message and maybe also write something into the "About You"-box, but they do not write anything into the Forum itself.

Could you please position the "Status Message" box at the very bottom of the "Personal Account"-page and also position the "About You"-box at the very top of this page?

I strongly feel that this simple change would be more intuitive for the user.

Many thanks!

Digital Doctor

The Status update area already has premium placement in the User's dropdown menu. I would think that 95%+ people will use the premium location to update their status.

Moving the About You to the top would likely just be a small style change ?

erich37

looking back to my initial message about a year ago, I have revisited this issue as it just came to my mind again when checking this at my own Forum:

I have submitted this as a Suggestion, but most probably this does not get considered by the devs, so maybe somebody knows of a template-edit or workaround in order for me to get rid of the "Status-Message-Box" at the "Account-page".
I do NOT want to remove the "Status-Message-Box" from the "User-Profile-page".

The very first page a totally new user who is registering at a XF-forum will view is the "Account-page" (if I am not mistaken).

So the user who is not familiar with Forum will think he needs to enter some text into the "Status-Message-Box", as this is the first thing he will recognize.
I would suggest to either re-locate the "Status-Message-Box" from top towards the very bottom at the "Account-page".
Or alternatively completely remove the "Status-Message-Box" from the "Account-page".

account-page.gif

The "Status-Message-Box" is anyway located at the "User-Profile-page", which is perfectly fine.

profile-page.gif

Lisa

Open the account_personal_details template

Find:-

Code:
    <xen:hook name="account_personal_details_status">
    <xen:if is="{$canUpdateStatus}">
        <dl class="ctrlUnit">
            <dt><label for="ctrl_status">{xen:phrase status_message}:</label></dt>
            <dd>
                <textarea name="status" rows="2" cols="60" id="ctrl_status" autofocus="autofocus" class="textCtrl StatusEditor Elastic OptOut" data-statusEditorCounter="#statusEditorCounter"></textarea>
                <span id="statusEditorCounter" title="{xen:phrase characters_remaining}"></span>
                <div class="explain"><h3 class="statusHeader">{xen:phrase current_status}:</h3> <span class="CurrentStatus"><xen:if is="{$visitor.status}">{xen:string censor, $visitor.status}<xen:else />({xen:phrase none})</xen:if></span><!--TODO: clearing--></div>
            </dd>
        </dl>
    </xen:if>
    </xen:hook>
And remove it.

Leaving you with:-
statusremoved.png